Firefox acting up?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Otter
Board Meister

Firefox acting up?

Post by Otter »

Hi - Is anyone having issues with Firefox tonight? When I clicked on the link, the regular webpage did not open rather one that lead nowhere. It filled the entire screen and I could not get out of the page without manually shutting down my computer. There was no way to make the page regular size and no way to scroll up and/or down.

It worked fine when I used it earlier and I had done nothing to the program. IE is working fine - that's what I'm using right now.

Any advice? Oh, I tried the site that "says" it will help, but it then asked for my credit card. I got out of there really fast. :sleepdeprived:

Nighty-night.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Firefox acting up?

Post by Bsuds »

It's working fine for me. Are you using the latest version and which OS?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
zensiert
Board Meister

Post by zensiert »

Firefox has somehow been asked to go into fullscreen mode. Press F11 to get out of it.

It's happened to me before. :sillygrin:
I am insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Shrapnel
Fledgling

Post by Shrapnel »

You can also close a page by pressing ALT+F4.

Or you can close a single tab, by pressing CTRL+W.
Otter
Board Meister

Post by Otter »

Shrapnel wrote:You can also close a page by pressing ALT+F4.

Or you can close a single tab, by pressing CTRL+W.

Thanks guys. I was away from my computer for awhile so wasn't able to come on-line. However, the problem still presists. I haven't tried your methods - yet, but I will give them a try.

The big problem is that it's changed the settings for the icons and such on the desktop screen. I even tried getting rid of the program then downloading it again from the website. I finally got the icons more-or-less fixed (although the colours are all off just enough to be annoying). Of course, I lost all the bookmarks on Firefox. :nutzoid:

Guess I'm going to have to call in my computer guys. There goes another small fortune right before Christmas. :127:

Night all.
sheepy

Post by sheepy »

Dont call a computer repair person. Download Malwarebytes --- http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and run it then run HouseCall ---http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and save yourself whatever they charge. This will solve your problems. You have some kind of malaware/virus.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

otter the minute you have an issue that involves a window asking for your credit card information, it's pretty safe to figure that you have some sort of virus, trojan, or malware infection on your PC.

As the previous post suggests, if you still can, try installing Malwarebytes and run it. If it doesn't work try renaming the downloaded file then do the installation. If you can get into Safe Mode would be a bonus.

If Malwarebytes doesn't find the problem the other software I've had good success with is SuperAntiSpyware which is also available for free download and use.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Just a heads-up: if you think you have malware & you can't even start Windows, try Windows Defender Offline Read the link for details - it can be handy having a copy around. I've helped out a few friends with it myself. (haven't needed it for me tho haha)

Kaspersky Rescue Disk does the same thing. One of the two will pretty much always work. Why do I bring this up? Because some malware is much tougher (if not impossible) to remove while the OS is in use. This is why it's often recommended to boot into Safe Mode instead. These tools don't boot the OS at all, and thus can have an even better leg-up on the malware.

This has been a Woodenhead public service announcement.

[Edit] Skimming the thread, it does seem like a malware issue, rather than a glitch.
Your bias suits you.
Lizard
Fledgling

Post by Lizard »

You could try a system restore.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”