Smith Creek mud bog

dayton

Re: Smith Creek mud bog

Post by dayton »

Some people can't handle seeing others enjoying what was put here before them, sorry CV but I don't care what you want to compair it too but its outside as a part of nature and will be driven on like any other part of this land.people like you can spend all the time they want making more of a mess trying to stop it but your only harming it more and making people mad and wanting revenge for the rude words you have used. But your loss I guess, nothing changes for me.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

crazylike wrote:since when did a power line trail become private property??? all power line access roads belong to the crown.. hence is for all citizens to use.. mainly for the power company's but because it is crown land anyone can access it... as for littering on the trails i see more people walking and riding bikes dropping garbage behind there *bleep* then i do 4x4'ers. the fact of the matter is the area up smith creek in question does not belong to Mr Tommy Lewis. his land is way around the corner at the end of the road the area in question is the field area that many people have brought there children to for years to teach them how to ride dirt bikes. it is crown land and is supposed to be for all the citizens to use.

Went up this morning for a bike ride and there is a load of household trash dumped on the side of the road at the lookout point across from the power substation. I really don't think the litter problem up there is from any of the user groups - hikers, bikers, motorbikes or 4x4's - but from losers with no clue. The dude that dumped this trash could of as easily drove down to any of the bins at the shopping areas below and tossed it in. Further up towards the end of Smith Creek road where the ranch gates are, you can drive in to the south side of the road and there is a fire pit, some dummy took the time to drive in, back up and dump some yard waste. Probably took longer to do this than it would of been to go to the dump he drove past that takes this waste for free. He even did on a week end when the dump was open so that is no excuse.

Regardless of what the seperate user groups think of each other, the biggest challenge to areas such as Smith Creek is from people that feel the forest is the perfect area to dispose of trash. I'm hoping Karma gets 'em in the end.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

crazylike wrote:since when did a power line trail become private property??? all power line access roads belong to the crown.. hence is for all citizens to use.. mainly for the power company's but because it is crown land anyone can access it... as for littering on the trails i see more people walking and riding bikes dropping garbage behind there *bleep* then i do 4x4'ers. the fact of the matter is the area up smith creek in question does not belong to Mr Tommy Lewis. his land is way around the corner at the end of the road the area in question is the field area that many people have brought there children to for years to teach them how to ride dirt bikes. it is crown land and is supposed to be for all the citizens to use.

Am I misinterpeting this?

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws ... 0_96245_01

Offences
60 A person commits an offence if the person does any of the following:
(a) occupies or possesses Crown land without lawful authority;
(b) uses Crown land without lawful authority;
(c) being the holder of a lease, right of way, easement, licence of occupation, permit or other disposition issued under this Act, uses Crown land for a purpose not provided for in the disposition;
(d) is guilty of an act or default by which a lease, right of way, easement, licence of occupation, permit or other disposition issued under this Act may be terminated;
(e) constructs on Crown land a building, structure, enclosure or other works, or does or performs any dredging, excavation or filling, without the authorization of the minister;
(f) abandons on Crown land any vehicle or vessel without the authorization of the minister;
(g) unlawfully interferes with or removes a sign erected by or on behalf of the minister.

I didn't think being Crown land meant it is public property.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

dayton wrote:Some people can't handle seeing others enjoying what was put here before them, sorry CV but I don't care what you want to compair it too but its outside as a part of nature and will be driven on like any other part of this land.people like you can spend all the time they want making more of a mess trying to stop it but your only harming it more and making people mad and wanting revenge for the rude words you have used. But your loss I guess, nothing changes for me.

You should try Knox mtn on the Kelowna side of the lake. Beautiful up there this time of year and the view is nothing short of awemesome. I've even heard of people finding very old stuff up near the top lookout.
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

Here's a good article relevant to what we're talking about.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/This-Land- ... -2012.html\

Learn to share the land, that's why its there.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

I don't care how Poindicter wants to fluff it up. The mountain bikers are trespassing and building structures and leaving nails and crap on crown land. Both are illegal. I am not a 4 wheeler guy. That is a completely different issue. The mountain biker people are arrogant and ignorant.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

So the original point to this thread was that the mud bog had been blocked with a number of large trees and also mentioned was the fact that dirt berms were pushed up to prevent access. Yet, there is still access for off road vehicles from the west end. Talking with a buddy of mine that walks his dogs up there quite frequently and his take on it was that the bog was getting quite eroded and access was being restricted to try and limit the amount of illegal dumping that was going on up there. Makes sense to me.

BTW, for the mtn bikers, rode up Wednesday and Thursday morning and the conditions are teriffic! Might have changed with Fridays rain but man the trails had grip and I had a blast flying off the jumps to buttery smooth landings. What a way to start the day!! Had a nice chat with a couple hikers enjoying the trail and fresh air as well.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Steve-O wrote:
BTW, for the mtn bikers, rode up Wednesday and Thursday morning and the conditions are teriffic! Might have changed with Fridays rain but man the trails had grip and I had a blast flying off the jumps to buttery smooth landings. What a way to start the day!! Had a nice chat with a couple hikers enjoying the trail and fresh air as well.

Agree, was up there riding on Sunday and conditions were ideal, nice extension to the season.

I was also up there walking the dog on Wednesday and found a large pile of apples. Looked around for a hunters blind but couldn't see one so hopefully it's just a good samaritan providing a treat for the dear.

Also got the gps coordinates for the old 30's car, pm me if you're interested.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Looks like you will have to PM me those coordinates Poindexter. I tried to PM you but was unable.
janenequinn

Post by janenequinn »

I live at the top of Smith Creek right beside the mud bogs. Every day I listen to
Dirt bikers race up and down in front of my house, sometimes
for 14 hrs a day. My experience has not been a good one, I see
Garbage being dumped, private property and Crown land being destroyed,
people using my fence line as a bathroom, unattended fires, noise, dust being
kicked up so bad I can't even go outside. I have CF we moved up the mountain
for cleaner air, I'm sure one of you will say just move then if you don't like it. My
rebuttle why don't you dirt bikers and quaders respect our mountain I witness on a daily
basis the lack of respect up here, if your blocked off what gives you
the right to keep making new trails? You are on private land and I see no one respecting
the land just because the owner does not live here does it give you riders the right to destroy
someone elses property. Also is it fair to make all that noise in front of someone's house, I ask you
how would you like it if I showed up at your house sometimes as early as 5am and fired up my
dirt bike and went back and forth for the next 8-12 hours?? I'm sure you would phone the RCMP on me.
I know you want a place to ride, but I would like some respect just because I don't live in a sub division doesn't
mean that the noise violation does not apply. If there was not so much dumping, and lack of respect for the wild
life, and property being destroyed then maybe us that live up here would not mind.
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

I went up to Smith last night to have a fire with some buddies (yes i bring a shovel and water), and there was already a big 10 foot wide fire burning unattended, with tons of slash and sticks around it. I don't know who did that, but it seems somebody is a lot more disrespectful of this area than I am. This fire was on the crown land portion.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

The new owners of the property that used to be a church camp are doing quite a bit of burning on thier property, may of been them. I was up biking the other day and an excavator that appeared to have been driven down from the ranch at the end of Smith Creek Road was doing a little clearing on the north side of the road. Maybe they've been given a mandate by some level of gov't to do some work? Although typically, when I've seen burns going on, the fires are monitored and not left burning late in the day .
ktowncichlids

Post by ktowncichlids »

the field where everyone parks past the mud bogs is not crown land, never has been , never will be.

Not all powerline roads are public access or crown land, infact there are many that cross private land, Glenrosa has private powerline land. As well as some in merrit and even on douglas lake land, theres many!!

To the person that lives up smith creek.

learn to explore the area you buy in first, People have been riding that area for over 40 years, Infact I know my grandpa used to take my dad up there and ride when he was young, Long long befor any houses were there. So how about YOU be respectful BEFOR you speak. Back then those area were not built, and were considered far enough to way to ride and have fun! as more and more people move in there, Its become a snowballing issues with all users, IMO I bet the entire area will be shut down to all use. A lot of the surrounding land is also leased to the dirt bike club and their trail system. So eventually everyones going to have to learn to get along.
(the air quality is not going to change hardly at all from down town kelowna to upper smith creek LMAO)

Please also DO NOT tell people to dump there trash in business's garbage bins either, Yes i would rather it there then in the woods but I work at a business with a open can, Well if its not locked, We get a full bin OVER night sometimes we have to sort the garbage out the next day just so we dont continuesly get finned for metal and etc in our garbage bin,, one morning we had an entire fireplace tossed in.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

So was it one of you 4X4ers that tried to make it up beside the water station? By the looks of the tracks it appears to have gotten quite dicey. Almost ended up rolling back into the chain link fence. Would have liked to be a fly on the wall as that was going down. :dyinglaughing:
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.

Return to “Central Okanagan”