So , who's the dangerous driver ?

gordon_as
Lord of the Board

So , who's the dangerous driver ?

Post by gordon_as »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#83448

I don't get this , unless he was travelling at an excessive speed. Even then , you don't turn left in front of traffic.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: So , who's the dangerous driver ?

Post by Always Sunny »

I came to see if there was a post on this.

Initially it sounded as though the 29 year old charged was the driver of the van who turned left in front of the southbound Mazda. I went back and read the original story from last year that stated the deceased's wife was driving (i.e. made the left turn).

I can't imagine many situations where the thru-traffic on a highway would be found at fault when a driver turns left in front of them. As you said, excessive speed would be one of them.

I also agree...you don't turn left in front of oncoming traffic. It seems strange that the driver of the van wasn't also charged. It's pretty rare that a left-turning driver involved in an accident isn't found at least partially at fault (of course unless there's something obvious like an advanced left turn arrow).
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

gordon_as wrote:I don't get this , unless he was travelling at an excessive speed. Even then , you don't turn left in front of traffic.

Sounds like driving with undue care and attention. If you drive though an intersection on an orange light without taking note of people wanting to turn left, you're not driving defensively. On busy intersections, the only chance you ever get to turn left is when the light is orange.

Suppose the guy in the fast lane stops. In this case, the driver in the slow lane better be cognizant of anyone waiting to turn left. Failure to slow down and be ready to stop if necessary is dangerous driving. If if the person turning left is at fault, it doesn't absolve the other driver of his carelessness.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Glacier wrote:Sounds like driving with undue care and attention. If you drive though an intersection on an orange light without taking note of people wanting to turn left, you're not driving defensively. On busy intersections, the only chance you ever get to turn left is when the light is orange.

Suppose the guy in the fast lane stops. In this case, the driver in the slow lane better be cognizant of anyone waiting to turn left. Failure to slow down and be ready to stop if necessary is dangerous driving. If if the person turning left is at fault, it doesn't absolve the other driver of his carelessness.

Busy intersections - this is true...but the location of this accident wasn't an intersection, it's a left turn across two lanes of Highway 97 (90km/h).

Person turning left is at fault - it doesn't absolve the other driver of carelessness, but how does it absolve the person turning left of any fault at all?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

The person turning left has the responsibility to make sure it's safe before proceeding, even if the oncoming car is speeding or the light is turning red. Additional charges can be laid against the person going straight, but I believe the person turning left should be at fault in the collision, unless he was turning left on an arrow and the through traffic had a red.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

No traffic light there , not really even an intersection. 4 lane highway where lots of people make a left hand turn into an access road to the garden center. My understanding is that the lady started to go , then hesitated , then went.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Always Sunny wrote:
I also agree...you don't turn left in front of oncoming traffic. It seems strange that the driver of the van wasn't also charged. It's pretty rare that a left-turning driver involved in an accident isn't found at least partially at fault (of course unless there's something obvious like an advanced left turn arrow).

Maybe she is still in the hospital and can't be charged yet?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Maybe the driver didn't have a license.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Apparently , witnesses said he was speeding and weaving through traffic prior to the accident.
The max sentence if found guilty is something like 14 months . Seems like yet another good idea to not drive like that. You never know when another bad driver is gonna turn left right in front of you.
1996-240SX

Post by 1996-240SX »

I know the driver of the car well, and feel that people should not jump to any conclusions. He is a great person, and not the type to drive like a maniac! Since the accident he has been very upset, and remorseful. The left turn lane in question is horrible (I live above it), and there have been many accidents in past years there.
The driver of the van pulled into the intersection, and then stopped in a sense (shocked??). She had pulled out when she should not have, and caused the accident. The difference between 100km/hr and 120km/hr would not have stopped this from happening(In my opinion).
Both parties should be at fault, but to place all blame on one person is wrong, and it is not even the right person(you pull out when un-safe to do so, and then are the victim?). At this particular intersection you can see far enough to go, even if traffic is speeding towards you there is lots of time, IF YOU GO AT THE RIGHT TIME.

I guess we have to wait and see what the courts decide.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

I agree with you 100% on all points stated. My point was that if you are in an accident , even if it wasn't your fault , the fact that you were seen speeding or driving in an unsafe manner will screw you.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Both parties involved are to blame. Sadly, one paid for his stupidity with his life and the other will get a slap on the wrist for his. Hopefully he learns a harsh lesson here, unfortunately at the expense of someone else.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

fvkasm2x wrote:Both parties involved are to blame. Sadly, one paid for his stupidity with his life and the other will get a slap on the wrist for his. Hopefully he learns a harsh lesson here, unfortunately at the expense of someone else.

Did you even read the part where the man who died was the passenger in the left-turning vehicle? It was the driver of this second vehicle who has yet to be charge (if at all).
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Always Sunny wrote:Did you even read the part where the man who died was the passenger in the left-turning vehicle? It was the driver of this second vehicle who has yet to be charge (if at all).

No, my apology. I was going from memory and obviously mixed up the facts. I didn't read the linked article, but I stand corrected. Both drivers are still to blame here IMO. Looks like the passenger is a victim of 2 others' stupidity.

Return to “Central Okanagan”