A Change this Christmas?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
AllthatFunk
Board Meister

Re: A Change this Christmas?

Post by AllthatFunk »

Celebrating will be a change for us this year. We lost our youngest, to childhood cancer, in 2008. This will be the first year that we put up a tree and try to celebrate. Having everyone together for a big family function of any kind has just been too difficult for my husband and our two kids. We haven't done any holiday dinners or gatherings since Christmas 2007.

However, we've decided that its time to try. Will it be stressful? Probably. Am I looking forward too it? I'd be lying if I said that I was. However, our kids are becoming adults and they will be starting their own family traditions some day. We might not get to have them home for Christmas as often and we should be taking that into consideration.

For those of you who find it too stressful. I would gladly have that kind of stress back if it meant that my youngest was still here to celebrate with us. There are ways to cope with the holiday stress. Start by enjoying the time you have with loved ones.
I'd rather live with regrets than regret not living.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

When we lost our eldest at 15 years old just before Christmas many years ago, what we did was set a place for him at the table. It was stressy, but our other two much younger kids did not deserve to miss out on their Christmas just because we couldn't handle it. We got through it - barely - but we did. We continued to set his place on the holiday table for a couple years after that but it became less stressy and after a while we just stopped - mostly because we added other people to the table to eat with us (others who would have been alone had they not joined us) and the table got too crowded.

Hugz for you this Christmas and I share your sentiments about the kids getting older and not having them home for the holidays - make the memories now while you can. You can do it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
2bonline

Post by 2bonline »

grammafreddy wrote:I cut the stress out of my Christmas many years ago. Now I do my gift shopping from a greatly reduced list year 'round and spread it out over all the months. I make a list of who I am buying for and assign a month to buy their gift. (one gift each) I don't buy gifts in December and I use that month's budgeted amount for picking up grocery items, maybe a bottle of wine to go with the turkey dinner, the tree and any last minute items and surprises as well as after-Christmas sales. Shopping like this means I can watch for sales and I hardly ever have to pay full price for anything.

I don't buy myself a Christmas present but I know people who do.

My goodness! Could you be any more organized? That is impressive beyong the usual shoppers routine. The only drawback is that it would appear you have Christmas on your mind 365 or at least 12 months a year. That IMO would suck terribly. I try to think of Christmas for about 22 days max and find that overbearing! I couldn't possibly imagine being so cheap about Christmas as to plan for it 365. Each to their own I guess. This of course , is just my opinion.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

grammafreddy wrote:I cut the stress out of my Christmas many years ago. Now I do my gift shopping from a greatly reduced list year 'round and spread it out over all the months. I make a list of who I am buying for and assign a month to buy their gift. (one gift each) I don't buy gifts in December and I use that month's budgeted amount for picking up grocery items, maybe a bottle of wine to go with the turkey dinner, the tree and any last minute items and surprises as well as after-Christmas sales. Shopping like this means I can watch for sales and I hardly ever have to pay full price for anything.

I don't buy myself a Christmas present but I know people who do.

2bonline wrote:My goodness! Could you be any more organized? That is impressive beyong the usual shoppers routine. The only drawback is that it would appear you have Christmas on your mind 365 or at least 12 months a year. That IMO would suck terribly. I try to think of Christmas for about 22 days max and find that overbearing! I couldn't possibly imagine being so cheap about Christmas as to plan for it 365. Each to their own I guess. This of course , is just my opinion.

LOL - you're having fun following me around the threads and slamming my posts but feeling quite at liberty to add "This of course , is just my opinion." to all yours.

Yes, damn straight I am "cheap" although I prefer to call it "frugal" and "smarter than you".

No, I am far from organized. But I do budget and I know my bank balance in the last "22 days max" won't allow me to stay within my budget and buy presents plus food for Christmas dinner (I don't buy booze, either). Besides, who the hell needs all that last minute stress?

Besides, I make a lot of my gifts so when I say "I buy" them, its more like I buy the supplies and then spend my time until Christmas handmaking something of meaning and from my heart rather than dashing down to Timmies and grabbing a gift card. But, you're right - to each their own. :D LOL - if someone gave me a Timmies card, I'd know I didn't mean much to them and I'd probably give it to a homeless person or to a senior to have coffee out with their friends.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

AllthatFunk. Know how you feel. Lost my only child just after Christmas going on three years now. First time for putting up lights etc. this year. Made me feel alittle better about the upcoming holidays. Still alittle hard to smile and enjoy all the happy little faces. Take care. Metallica
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

This is a change all right. We aren't Christmasy very much around here. Got the best present ever tho, family bopped into town and helped out. Can't unwrap that it's the best.

Some here know this season has been chaotic with decommissioning a house. I thought it'd be easy and some of it was, but it's the sentimental stuff that prevents us from moving full speed ahead. I'm awestruck by the early turn of the century photos of Lumby.

We went to one Christmas event on Sat. night, definitely helped, but have put aside quite a few because we are so busy.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

grammafreddy wrote:When we lost our eldest at 15 years old just before Christmas many years ago, what we did was set a place for him at the table
Gramma I still cook for three people, I would give my son all the leftovers to take home. God that boy could eat. Gramma I am sorry for your's and any one else's loss at this time of the year. Being frugal all year is not being cheap! I also live on a small pension and buy when the sales are good. Have a very Merry Christmas hopefully surounded by pets, friends and family. All the best Metallica :sunshine: :sunshine:
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

what did you get me Met? :D Hugs
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

normaM wrote:what did you get me Met? :D Hugs
A years worth of Hugs and smilies to you and yours and no negative comments no matter how it hurts me :sunshine: :sunshine: :sunshine: I promise or Jo can cancel me for a year :ohmygod: However sarcasm is ok. Merry Christmas Norma and all the best. Thanks for being a friend. Metallica. :127:
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

A year of hugs and smiles from you.. couldn't hope for a finer present :) Hugs back
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I'm getting Norma a promotion Vin Diesel cutout, 1:1 scale.

On a horse.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

bless you :) I think I'll send him my wish list instead of Santa.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Captain Awesome wrote:I'm getting Norma a promotion Vin Diesel cutout, 1:1 scale.

On a horse.

You got Norma a diesel truck? Lucky her.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Social Concerns”