Kelowna new downtown

fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Kelowna new downtown

Post by fall »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Here is my take on it, you use an example of an item, that you purchased elsewhere, for likely less than the retailer is paying.

Which may or not be the case with most of their stock.
What I am saying, is it isprobably easy to find an example like that, but obviously the retailer has overhead that must be factored into the selling price.
Pretty sure you do not buy everything online.
Pretty sure, that if you told us what you do for an income, someone could come along with a reason not to support that..

No I dont buy everything on line of course, I do buy alot though and look around for the best prices on something I am buying say over 100 dollars, Im all for saving money and spending it wisely even if that means not supporting downtown or local. I know retailers have overhead and some limited buying power and that is their choice when running a small business in a risky economy. I am more worried about saving for my kids future and mine with more money in the bank, house paid off quicker etc.
blackpanther

Post by blackpanther »

I don't mind the look , it kind of looks old fashion in a sense .
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I don't mind the look , it kind of looks old fashion in a sense .

it looks like a home sense store stephen and chris will tell us to just renovate again in ten years
Peace be with you.
kelownaobserver

Post by kelownaobserver »

Personally ... I like it ... the wider sidewalks and the funky looking light standards .... sorta old school ... sorta not .... the parking I like it ... it will cut down on the traffic downtown ... particularly in the summertime ... I envision cafes on the widened sidewalks ... with a nice glass or bottle of wine on the go .... good planning!
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Any parking for motorcycles and scooters? Or is it cars only?
BigBadBen
Fledgling

Post by BigBadBen »

I like how the new light standards lean, rather than being vertical.

A perfect bird roost.

I think it will be very amusing to sit on a bench and watch bird droppings fall on unsuspecting pedestrians. Great design.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Huh ??? ????
They actually have anti roost pins on some of them..
Readmy siggy, its for you..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Lerfy
Board Meister

Post by Lerfy »

BigBadBen wrote:I like how the new light standards lean, rather than being vertical. A perfect bird roost. I think it will be very amusing to sit on a bench and watch bird droppings fall on unsuspecting pedestrians. Great design.

Wow, I don't know how you expect a bird to roost on the side of a post with an 80 to 85 degree angle. Your comment seems like an attempt to create controversy where none exists.

The same goes with the various comments spouting off about parking and how the loss of angle parking will somehow destroy the downtown area. If some of you would actually GO downtown once and a while, you would see that there are numerous small lots scattered around the area of the improvements which are almost never fully occupied. And even if for some strange reason those smaller lots are actually filled, the Chapman parkade is about the same distance from most of the businesses on the downtown strip as you would be if you parked at the mall or Walmart.

People who like to complain will always find something to complain about. Personally, I welcome the improvements and I think they are looking great. For those of you who don't, enjoy the Mall.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I got my first look at the new Bernard today. So far I'm not loving it. Maybe it'll look better once it's all finished and maybe the snow made it look shabbier than it should have so I'll reserve judgement until it's finished. It's not like it can be changed now anyway so may as well hope for the best.
pj57
Fledgling

Downtown Bernard revitilization???

Post by pj57 »

After driving the NEW Bernard Ave downtown , my first thought was *bleep*? But then I remembered, in Kelowna, we're supposed to ride the bus or walk. So who needs all the lost parking spots, besides how are they going to properly clear the snow from over the curb you have to jump to park anyway. Oh yea, I forgot I came downtown by taxi for$40, because the bus only comes twice a day to a stop 3 km away.It's just as well, because there is only restaurants anyway, and I won't get an impaired now, except I can't afford the drinks... or dinner for tat matter anymore! And the lighting reminded me of the LED light on my keychain, to see anything you have to hold it 2 inches from the lock. BUT then the colours started charging. Time to move them over by the art gallery, where they belong!

I guess this is the test block. It's cheaper to change one block after the public reaction, than to whole downtown. Kind of reminds me of the scateing rink, where the weather has to be freezing out to make "artificial ice'!
Evan
Board Meister

Post by Evan »

I love it! Drove by yesterday. A very nice look. Really makes the street pop, gives it a modern yet classic edge. Love the LED lights, all done in Christmas colors right now! Really reminds me of Granville street, will have a similar look when the entire street is done! BRAVO KELOWNA!
To be inspired.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Evan wrote:I love it!BRAVO KELOWNA!

Hey, hey. No positive things are allowed to be said about Kelowna improvements.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Evan
Board Meister

Post by Evan »

Too late! I did it, and I shan't take it back!!
To be inspired.
Lerfy
Board Meister

Post by Lerfy »

OMG... its clearly time to panic about this! If we say something positive about the new downtown improvements, we may be expected to say something positive about the police, and then who knows what is next.... good god, what kind of precedent are we settin here?
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Im sorry but is very hard to like .I feel like i came home and my wife blew our savings on a style i will have to now live with all long time .everyone has different taste.i feel the computer generated flyover ,which i'm sure was very expensive to make did not show a very real interpretation . maybe that is why it went so fast.To me it looks dark and medieval the angled lamp post look like launched catapults.maybe it will look better with flowers in the spring.
Peace be with you.

Return to “Central Okanagan”