Destruction of Rose Valley Trails

Steve-O
Übergod

Destruction of Rose Valley Trails

Post by Steve-O »

I received an email from a friend of mine with a very disturbing picture attached. It is a photo of a section of trail near the top of Rose Valley in which CORD has done trail "improvements". According to my friend there are at least 3 other areas where similar "improvements" have been completed. What CORD has done, is to install stairs in these 4 places that are short, mildly steep pitches.

Prior to CORD doing their work, these 4 sections of trail, could be safely ridden by mountain bikers and walked by hikers. Now these 4 areas are not rideable and at one of them, hikers will have to take more care.

On CORD's website, there is a map with notice about trail upgrades. It mentions repairs to washed out sections, removal of trees that may poze a hazard, trail widening and installation of trail maps and markers. There is no mention that they were closing down sections of trails to mountain bikers. http://www.regionaldistrict.com/media/2 ... _Oct12.pdf

Before you say Rose Valley is off limits to mtn bikers, please keep in mind that there is no signage to that effect and also mtn bikers and hikers have been both using this area for years. Rose Valley is advertise as a biking destination by many tourist websites. In fact, much of the trail that CORD is working on, was originally put in place by mtn bikers and has continued to improve and maintain it so both user groups can safely use it.

CORD could of easily installed stairs in such a way as to continue to allow both groups to safely access these areas but have seemed to gone ahead with no public consultation whatsoever. There are national and regional mtn bike groups that could of worked with them as they have in other areas to successfully treated these trails. Groups such as IMBA and MTBco.

I urge concerned mtn bikers and hikers to contact CORD to voice their frustration. [email protected]
Steve-O
Übergod

Re: Destruction of Rose Valley Trails

Post by Steve-O »

The group that I mtn bike with have all contacted CORD to voice our concerns and I am happy to report that we are in the process of setting up a meeting in the new year to discuss how the trails can be improved and still be usable for different users. The local mtn bike organization - Mountain Bikers of the Central Okanagan (MTBco) have been invited to attend as well.
Obviously, the more voices we can have at this meeting, the better. If you are intersted in joining us, please do. I will post inforamtion as it becomes available.

Cheers
ktowncichlids

Post by ktowncichlids »

It's funny seeing mtn bikers crying about trails, you realise you guys have more area in westbank and kelowna then anywhere else in canada? you have even gone as far as trying to push dirt bikers off of there trails that they made years befor DOWNHILL was even thought about. IE. smith creek. you also forget to mention how almost all the rose valley trails were originaly built by hore and dirt bikers. Our friends owned that motor cycle salvage and farm property for many many years, We grew up riding those areas since the 80's never seen mtn bikers in there till mid 90s.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Again it is ignorant,arrogant mountain bikers using and abusing private property and public parks for their so called enjoyment. Those trails in Rose Valley were made by dirt bikes and 4x4 s a long time ago. So it's a park now. Respect the rules and stay the hell out. Do you hear or see dirt bikers complaining about how the park improvements are bothering them?
gordo1

Post by gordo1 »

I live right beside Rose Valley park and hike in there pretty much daily. I have probably been on all of the trails in the park. It is not too often that I come across mountain bikers. When I do, one of us moves over for the other to pass. Many times I have spent more than an hour on the trails without seeing another person. Based on that I would suggest there is plenty of room for both hikers and bikers to enjoy the park. Since the trails are used year round and can get very slippery when wet or icy, I don't see the issue with some steps being installed in the more treacherous areas. Any improvement should focus on making the park more accessible for all and not the wants of special interest groups. If you don't like the steps, go around them.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

I'm surprised he is not complaining about shoe prints in the park that doesn't allow mountain bikes. Heck,just build an illegal ramp around the pesky stairs. Use some old car parts or drag some other garbage in the park to use.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Hi Gordo, we 've likely waved in passing on the trails. My group is up on the Rose Valley Trails at least once a week during the riding season. Nice thing about Rose Valley is it tends to be rideable earlier in the year as well as later in the year than most trails. We are careful in the spring when the ground is so soft so as to not damage the trails.
Our meeting with CORD is to discuss how to route bypasses around the stairs that were installed. The goal being to install bypasses that would still be enjoyable to ride and have a minimum impact on the environment. I have seen how some of those chutes would be slippery during winter and spring and the stairs are a help in that regards. CORD has recognized in their emails to us that this is a multi user area and its cool they are willing to sit down and work with us to find a solution that is workable for hikers and bikers.
I may of been a little dramatic with the title for this thread and you are 100% correct; there is lots of room on these trails for both bikers and hikers. Our concern is that the trails remain accessible for both groups and with the way several of the sets of steps have been put in, this now not the case and how can this be rectified before someone it takes upon themselves to destroy the steps or build something illegally.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Ignore me like you ignore the rules. Once again shows the ignorance of the mountain bike community Respect the people that built those trails?
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

OK Logman.

The double track in Rose Valley may have been created by dirt bikers and 4x4's years ago, I haven't been in the Okanagan long enough to know the history of every area. If you say its so, than great, they opened up access to this area and thats great, but I know for a fact the singletrack that I ride and hike was built by mtn bikers and are maintained by mtn bikers. These trails are now enjoyed by both hikers and bikers.

What rules are we ignoring? This is a multi use area, open to both hikers and mtn bikers. The fact that CORD is helping to improve these trails and is seeking mtn bikers input towards this substantiates this as well. I've hiked and biked considerably in this area and regardless if I'm on my bike or hiking, have never felt nothing but respect and courtesy from other users when we've crossed paths and that is exactly what I've given as well.

Mtn biking is gaining a tremendous amount of momenteum as a fun, safe sport and as a great workout. Many communities promote their local trails as tourists destinations. Kelowna gets very good press in mtn bike magazines and websites as a mtn bike hot spot. I'm proud of the trails in the Okanagan. I have buddies from out east that come specifically for the biking here (and my beer I think). They rent hotel rooms, they eat out, they buy parts for their bikes from local bike shops. All sounds positive to me.

Logman, you don't like mtn bikers. Fine. Thats your perogitive. If you want to add constructive opinions or feedback to a thread, I may respond. You want to call me ignorant or arrogant and try to belittle me, I'm not interested.
dudevondudenstien

Post by dudevondudenstien »

I'm Kinda confused about your definition on destruction of trails Steve-o. You seem *bleep* that CORD built some stairs in some very steep and rugged areas and now you have to get off your $2000 bike and climb them. Yet no one has mentioned the fact that for years now Mnt bikers have built ramps, banks, bridges, ladders, berms, drops, and various other abominations in Rose Valley Park, making some of the trails almost impossible to navigate for hikers. I'm pretty sure that this is not allowed from a legal perspective. I should also mention the cutting down of live trees and bush to create new trails, also very illegal. I've spoken with some local riders and they are very proud of the fact that they create a new trail every few weeks. You might be careful riding in wet conditions but its painfully apparent that others are not as there is plenty of trail damage visable on all of the trails. I have pulled garbage bags full out of the park loaded with cast off bike parts like inner tubes, chains, pedals, brake pads, saddles and even a few helmets. So who is really destroying Rose Valley?
Maybe someone should talk to CORD about banning cyclists from Rose Valley, heck maybe we should ban Mnt bikes from West Bank!
WHO IS WITH ME??????????
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Dude, if you read through here I admit that I was a little dramatic in my description for this thread. No, trails have not been destroyed, they've been changed. The concern is that the changes to the trails have made portions unusable to one user group. This is where CORD has stepped up to the plate to to discuss bypasses or a route side by side to the stairs to open these chutes back up for the bikes. You will have to share with me where all these jumps, drops and what not are. I've hiked and biked likely every trail up there numerous times and can think of about 4 pieces of 2x6 used to bridge several wind blown trees, there is also a bypass for hikers and bikers to use if they do not wish to go over the bridge. The aspect I like about Rose Valley is that the riding up there is technical from natural challenges. All the trails built up in Rose Valley have followed deer trails or old moto/4x4 trails, no cutting of live trees required. The level of building/destruction you describe simply does not exist in Rose Valley although I did get a good chuckle from your attempt to stir the pot.
andrew_r_mcintosh
Fledgling

Post by andrew_r_mcintosh »

The OP is simply asking that CORD gather input from all use groups before making changes to OUR parks....I guess he though he'd gain support here.

Ousting the entire riding community cause a couple of kids dragged a pallet into the woods and made a jump is pretty weak.
Arguing who built what 30 years ago is also pretty much irrelevant.
Abortions for some, tiny american flags for others.
dudevondudenstien

Post by dudevondudenstien »

As Stephen and Andrew have both acknoledged, there are clandestine features like ramps and bridges, being built illegally in the park, by Mnt bikers, for Mnt bikers. I also question the souce of procurement of the lumber used in these Mega build structures. Neither of you have addressed the littering of bike parts through out "OUR" park or the vandalism that Mnt bikers have done to countless trees by ripping off branches with their dreadlocks as they speed by. Lets talk about the many forest creatures that I have seen with bike tire skid marks clearly visable on their backs not to mention the emotional trama your hooting and hollering have caused.
I cant believe you want these stairs changed (at the tax payers cost), just because you refuse to climb off your $4000.00 bicyle and climb a measly few steps. The next thing your going to want is for CORD to pave the trails so its not so bumpy on your precious hiney.
Come on people... wake up!.
andrew_r_mcintosh
Fledgling

Post by andrew_r_mcintosh »

dudevondudenstien wrote:As Stephen and Andrew have both acknoledged, there are clandestine features like ramps and bridges, being built illegally in the park, by Mnt bikers, for Mnt bikers. I also question the souce of procurement of the lumber used in these Mega build structures. Neither of you have addressed the littering of bike parts through out "OUR" park or the vandalism that Mnt bikers have done to countless trees by ripping off branches with their dreadlocks as they speed by. Lets talk about the many forest creatures that I have seen with bike tire skid marks clearly visable on their backs not to mention the emotional trama your hooting and hollering have caused.
I cant believe you want these stairs changed (at the tax payers cost), just because you refuse to climb off your $4000.00 bicyle and climb a measly few steps. The next thing your going to want is for CORD to pave the trails so its not so bumpy on your precious hiney.
Come on people... wake up!.

Quoted for pure stupidity
Abortions for some, tiny american flags for others.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Woo Hooo! The value of my bike just doubled! Can you do the same for my stock portfolio??

Keep stirring. Quite entertaining.

Return to “Central Okanagan”