Wood Lake Accident

JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: Wood Lake Accident

Post by JayByrd »

It probably means all of the above. I know one person attempted to use a rock to smash the window, then asked for (and received) a hammer and that was successful. Those trying to rescue the driver may have been unable to enter the vehicle though. You'd have to hold your breath a long time to get inside and attempt to free someone. And there would be quite a risk of getting one's self stuck inside the vehicle.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

Oh okay, thank you. I just didn't know what it meant. :129:
alishaklassen

Post by alishaklassen »

My heartfelt condolences go out the family and friends of this woman. I won't pretend to know how hard this is for them but I can empathize on how truly tragic it is. For those who did everything they could to try and save her, my faith in people has never been stronger. I hope for everyone the support they will need at this time. What a hard (understatement) situation to try and rationalize and carry.
givenrfarm
Board Meister

Post by givenrfarm »

I know I felt like I'd been hit by a bus the second I got in that water. It's a sick feeling when something so simple as opening a door turns out impossible when in ice water. The other lady in the water, Cindy Rogers, was in there much longer than I was. After I went back to shore for more rope and tools from my truck, she stayed in. She grabbed the hammer and never stopped swinging it until she physically couldn't anymore. There was a man in the water with us (I didn't get his name) tying off the rope to the axel. I heard a lady on shore yelling at the man to be careful because he couldn't even swim. One man stayed chest deep in the water the whole time. I saw a dozen people come together to physically try to pull and hold the jeep out of the water when the straps broke, and again when we hooked it up to my semi after the Dodge driver deperately tried to pull the jeep out. Never did anyone give up trying to save that woman. I don't think anyone just sat and watched. Everyone came together for her. I wish the outcome had been better.

A lesson in this, keep a hammer in your car where it won't be out of reach in an emergency, a tow rope because you never know when you or another will need it, close your eyes and make sure you can find your seatbelt and door handles. None of the above may have prevented the loss of this woman, but there's always the chance another may be saved because of it.
Chrome, cowboy boots, and a license does not, a professional driver make!
Horse, cowboy hat, and pick-up truck, does not, a cowboy make!
Twenty grand, twenty miles, and two tattoos, does not, a biker make!
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Thanks Givenr for your efforts, you are to be applauded!

Makes me think that for less than $10 one (or two!) of these seatbelt-cutter-window-smasher tools in the door pocket of the truck makes a lot of sense. Princess Auto has them.

"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

It's a sad situation for sure. Hopefully this never happens to anyone else, but if your car is upside down it is pretty well impossible for most people to unlatch their seatbelt because of the pressure on the straps. If you are in the car, to unlatch the belt you have to push as hard as you can against the roof/ceiling of the car with one hand to get the pressure off the straps while unlatching it with the other. If you are the rescuer and have nothing to cut the straps with, getting underneath the person and pushing up on them can also make it possible to unlatch it. Maybe this will save someone's life someday, but hats off to the folks that tried to rescue her and condolences to the family.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

givenrfarm wrote:I know I felt like I'd been hit by a bus the second I got in that water. It's a sick feeling when something so simple as opening a door turns out impossible when in ice water. The other lady in the water, Cindy Rogers, was in there much longer than I was. After I went back to shore for more rope and tools from my truck, she stayed in. She grabbed the hammer and never stopped swinging it until she physically couldn't anymore. There was a man in the water with us (I didn't get his name) tying off the rope to the axel. I heard a lady on shore yelling at the man to be careful because he couldn't even swim. One man stayed chest deep in the water the whole time. I saw a dozen people come together to physically try to pull and hold the jeep out of the water when the straps broke, and again when we hooked it up to my semi after the Dodge driver deperately tried to pull the jeep out. Never did anyone give up trying to save that woman. I don't think anyone just sat and watched. Everyone came together for her. I wish the outcome had been better.

A lesson in this, keep a hammer in your car where it won't be out of reach in an emergency, a tow rope because you never know when you or another will need it, close your eyes and make sure you can find your seatbelt and door handles. None of the above may have prevented the loss of this woman, but there's always the chance another may be saved because of it.
Bless you and everyone else for their efforts. My heart goes out to the family and everyone who tried to help to save this poor woman.
Elan_G

Post by Elan_G »

I listened to Darby Taylor's radio interview and read through the various forum posts from people who were present at the scene and others who actually got in the water and tried to help. What they did (getting into icy cold water to try and save someone they didn't even know) was truly heroic. Your efforts were incredible. I could not get through reading these posts without crying.

The woman who died was my cousin and is loved by many. Sincere thank you to all of you who tried your best to save her. I can only imagine how traumatic the whole experience was for everyone there and I just want to express my gratitude for doing what you did.
dimlight

Post by dimlight »

As one of the family members of the lady in the Woods Lake accident...I want to thank the people that tried so hard to help her...there were so many willing to help, in awful conditions. We are devastated by our loss, and are so sorry you had to go through that. She was the type of person to do what you did...she would also have jumped in...go above and beyond to help. Thank you so much. It may not be the ending you/we were hoping for that day, but please know it does bring comfort to know she was surrounded by heroes!! Thank you <3
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I'm so impressed that people risked their own Lives to try to save another.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Rwede wrote:...seatbelt-cutter-window-smasher... Princess Auto has them.

I was in PAC just a couple days back and they have these on for $3.99

Everyone needs...NEEDS...to have one of these in their car...and accessible.

Rather than mounting it to the floor, sidewall or console in the handy mounting bracket, I'd suggest something different.

The mounting bracket holds it in place firmly, but I do not trust it to hold it violently. A rolling vehicle is a violent environment.
I put the hammer in a small drawstring bag and tie that in a simple tie (like a shoe) to the front leg of the driver's seat closest to the center of the car...closest to the hump. That way it can be reached by either the driver or passenger. The drawstring bag is easily untied and opened with one hand and it's reliable. It's always there, tucked under the front edge of the driver's seat, on the floor.

I also bought a big tow rope from PAC the other day when I was there. I generally have either chain or rope, but I chose just a few days ago to buy the proper...and very heavy (27,000 lb) strap for just such an instance. I told my partner that I was buying it for the other driver. The one that will need my help one day. I'm so glad I bought it and have that as a part of my clutter in my truck. I hope the plastic packaging is never removed.

The 27,000 lb tow strap ran me about 30 bills and change.
It's so worth the peace of mind folks.
We live by water.
Think.
Twice.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

normaM wrote:I'm so impressed that people risked their own Lives to try to save another.

I'm always pleased to know people step up when needed.
It's an example of how we are all so close...so alike...at the core.
We need to tap on that more often...but under less compromising circumstances.

You'd do it too Norma.
You'd be surprised what you're capable of under stress.
We're human animals first.
Instincts rule.

Most important is that we are prepared. Prepare yourself to look after your own immediate needs should extreme circumstances be dropped on your lap...but also, prepare yourself with the basics to help another.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Graham Adder wrote:I put the hammer in a small drawstring bag and tie that in a simple tie (like a shoe) to the front leg of the driver's seat closest to the center of the car...closest to the hump. That way it can be reached by either the driver or passenger. The drawstring bag is easily untied and opened with one hand and it's reliable. It's always there, tucked under the front edge of the driver's seat, on the floor.

Good idea Graham, however pulling on the wrong part of a string tied like a shoe, especially when wet, can create a knot. Maybe a good velcro opening?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Velcro would be best.
I had draw string bags.
A bead on the rip cords makes pulling the correct one easier, but in the end, if one has a velcro system that ensures the hammer/cutter is where it needs to be when it's needed...that would be the best bet.

Another option is one of these gadgets:

It's a spring loaded center punch.
Typically they are used to put a small dimple is soft metals like aluminum or softer steels etc. That dimple gives a start point for a drill bit to now start boring a hole.

That said:
When you apply poking pressure, the spring loads tension and releases once you push the handle hard enough. It doesn't take a strongman to push it far enough to make it click...the click in turn sets the point into a sudden impact which will break the side glass of any automobile (save the gangstah editions) window.

Sometimes it's hard to find room or strength to swing a hammer hard enough to smash the glass. Even though the window hammer has a point to it, to make breakage easier, it can still be a real struggle to find swing room when your trapped into a compromised tin casing (your wrecked vehicle). The poke device is easy to use and extremely effective on breaking tempered glass or automotive safety glass.

You can purchase a spring loaded center punch at pretty much any tool supply store.
I do believe PAC even has these items.

Watch this:
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

My heart goes out to the family. And to those who tried so hard to help and save the lady, you are true hero's in my book. Wished it was a happier ending. God bless.

Return to “Central Okanagan”