You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Alvis
Board Meister

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Post by Alvis »

Vercom Cable 10 with such classic, locally produced and filmed shows such as Kla-How-Ya (sic?) and Gardening with Elwood Rice.
Also, not specific to Vernon but Mike Roberts hosting a news show called Focus. Flintstones after school on CHBC when it was still watchable.
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Vercom? Now that's a blast from the past. Didn't a fellow by the name of Jamie Patterson run the programming? Who was the owner/manager ... I can picture him just can't remember his name. This also triggered memories of a local weekly paper run by two guys John someone and a partner who I can't remember his name ... I think it was called The Advertiser ... whatever happened to it?
oldphart

Post by oldphart »

Correct...Jamie Patterson was with Vercom, and still resides in Vernon. Was a finiancial advisor last I heard. The owner of Vercom was George Galbraith...a great guy who has done and continues to do so much for the community. As for the newspaper, I remember John Hunter being involved, but like you can't think of the name of a partner
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

southy wrote:Vercom? Now that's a blast from the past. Didn't a fellow by the name of Jamie Patterson run the programming? Who was the owner/manager ... I can picture him just can't remember his name. This also triggered memories of a local weekly paper run by two guys John someone and a partner who I can't remember his name ... I think it was called The Advertiser ... whatever happened to it?

The Morning Star killed it I believe.
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

Good old CHBC when it didn't suck. I watched thislive as it happened as Class of 94 VSS Grad.
So who remembers the Vernon Cougars Sr A hockey team?
Tommy Douglas
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

I was under the impression this whole thread was about vernon back in the 50-60-70,s not current times like 1994 etc?
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

ticat900 wrote:I was under the impression this whole thread was about vernon back in the 50-60-70,s not current times like 1994 etc?

1994 was 19 years ago.
Since you are such a Vernon hisotry expert perhaps you can shed some light on or share memories of the Vernon Cougars Sr A hockey team?
I used to have a Vernon Cougars hockey puck but God knows where it is now.
Tommy Douglas
glenb

Post by glenb »

when I played for the cougars in the 80-81 season it was in league called the n.o.h.l. north okanagan hockey league. the other teams were from kelowna, salmon arm, grindrod (used the enderby arena )
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

glenb wrote:when I played for the cougars in the 80-81 season it was in league called the n.o.h.l. north okanagan hockey league. the other teams were from kelowna, salmon arm, grindrod (used the enderby arena )

Grindrod Elks
Lumby Flying Frenchmen

(those are 2 I remember)
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

glenb wrote:when I played for the cougars in the 80-81 season it was in league called the n.o.h.l. north okanagan hockey league. the other teams were from kelowna, salmon arm, grindrod (used the enderby arena )

Any pictures or programs you could scan? I remember watching the Cougars at the Civic in the mid 80's back when everybody changed from hockey pants and socks to the long Cooperalls!

Tommy Douglas
glenb

Post by glenb »

I don't have any pictures, unfortunately.The team supplied pants and socks as well as sticks.I've looked all over the net trying to find pictures but no luck even finding news about the former league
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

I have a question about the Lavington area.

Prior to "Henry's Arcade" being built in 1980ish, across the street from burnt "Henry's Food Store," does anyone remember what business or structure was on that piece of property before the arcade was built on it?

Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
a72cj

Post by a72cj »

The building was originally a Chevron gas station
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

There were 42 original members of Silver Star Sports Ltd, who started the ski area up on Silver Star. Does anyone remember who these 42 people were?
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

Was reading the Morning Star about Klaus Tribes and KT's Pizza and Burger Company.
Has it really been 19 years?
Has Boston Pizza really been at its current 32nd Street location that long? I remember it being there in 1996.
Tommy Douglas

Return to “North Okanagan”