SPCA: And you were complaining about the RDCO?

janalta
Übergod

SPCA: And you were complaining about the RDCO?

Post by janalta »

http://www.chbcnews.ca/Pages/Story.aspx?id=6442779042

Unbelievable !
Just one more reminder as to why I've never donated to the SPCA
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Fleshfailures
Board Meister

Re: SPCA..and you were complaining about the RDCO ??

Post by Fleshfailures »

I understand why they're upset, but I was under the impression that if you surrender a pet to the SPCA there's no guarantee you'll get it back. You can't just give your pet up when things get tough and then expect to get it back with no issues. Maybe that dog is better off with her new family, and hopefully they will get her spayed.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Fleshfailures wrote:I understand why they're upset, but I was under the impression that if you surrender a pet to the SPCA there's no guarantee you'll get it back. You can't just give your pet up when things get tough and then expect to get it back with no issues. Maybe that dog is better off with her new family, and hopefully they will get her spayed.

They had no intentions of giving up their pet because things got tough.....they weren't sure they knew how to properly care for a litter of pups and a friend suggested the SPCA could HELP them...not take their dog away, but help them out.
I don't think they understood what 'surrendering' your pet to the SPCA meant....I think they were just looking for help with the whelping and thought the dog was going to be back home after that.

They were just looking for help...not looking to get rid of a problem....it is clear that they love their dog and were mislead.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Sad story.
juliatrops
Fledgling

Post by juliatrops »

Here is the Kelowna SPCA version of the story, as told on their fb site on December 24:

Regarding the case of a dog that was surrendered to us recently, I would like to take the opportunity to clarify some details. I have removed the dog’s name and the names of the people involved for anonymity, Kelowna Manager.

The dog in question is a 2yr old Tibetan Terrier who was surrendered to to the Kelowna Branch by her previous owners back in October, after they had taken her in as a stray 6 months earlier. The couple spent some time in the branch with staff and volunteers. They completed all the necessary paperwork to surrender the dog and also wrote out some supplementary information: "We are both 79 years of age...(the dog) likes lots of exercise, which is ok but now (she is) pregnant!! Seems too much for us to cope with at this time. She is a very nice dog and we are extremely upset having to do this but we realize it will be the best for (the dog). (To surrender her). If (the BC SPCA is) unable to adopt (her out to new home) we may come and get her back at a cost we realize". The surrender process was followed and all the information regarding surrender explained to the couple.

Following the intake, it became clear the the dog was not just pregnant, but in labour. The branch arranged for an emergency health check at a local emergency clinic, xrays confirmed she was in labour with 8 pups, and a quiet room was immediately organised for her as she was in some distress, having been surrendered to the shelter at this critical time. Due to the short notice the branch was unable to locate a foster home, so a staff member took the pregnant dog home and provided the urgent medical care she required during the birth and for the following week, so that the dog would not incur more stress. The week following, an official foster home was found and mom and pups were relocated.

After a series of health checks with the Vet, it was identified that the dog has a chronic health condition called Diabetes Insipidous that had gone untreated. Treatment would come at a cost of $1000 per year for the rest of her life, 15+ years. The foster family asked to adopt the dog permanently, and as they had both bonded with her over the last 2 months, and had the knowledge and financial means to provide the necessary care that she requires for the rest of her life, the adoption was approved. The branch is in constant contact with the adoptive family, ensuring that the welfare of the dog is their first priority.

I hope that helps to clear up some of the rumour's that have been circulating.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

janalta wrote:Just one more reminder as to why I've never donated to the SPCA

More like a good reason to donate as there are too many people who can't/don't look after their pets properly and end up needing help. Then for them to complain about it is ridiculous!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

seems like the request to get the dog back after the birth were ignored. spca are pet nazis. They make getting a pet as hard as a kid.Its not the money its the bureaucratic,bs. When i went there people were rude almost hostile.i just get my pets from the classified free section and take them to my own vet.lighten up spca. Some people believe animals are human .they are not they are here to serve us and they do it whole heartedly. Stop treating the like they are human.they hate it to they just want to be animals .Who is in more need of a pets service than this sweet and very alert old couple. spca are being cruel to humans. Animals are not humans but they are not our slaves either, they are willfully indentured to us.They can also find new homes when owners pass.It will not psychologically destroy them.They are here to serve us not the other way around,give your dog his dog life back and take that stupid hat off of him.
Peace be with you.
Triple 6

Re: SPCA: and you were complaining about the RDCO?

Post by Triple 6 »

The SPCA offers a low income spay/neuter program. Why didn't this senior couple take advantage of that?
The SPCA is not in the biz of financially looking after others peoples pets, then after 6 months giving it back to said owner.
Give me a break. They couldn't afford her care for pregnancy, how would they for the diabetes?
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I adore animals, and I do believe that they can be a benefit to people; however, if a person can not afford to spay or neuter their pet, then it is fairly evident to me that they simply can not afford pet ownership.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
dlarrivee
Fledgling

Post by dlarrivee »

The old man doesn't look like he gets a lot of exercise himself.

Funny I didn't notice a "free boarding kennel" sign on the SPCAs door.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Triple 6 wrote:The SPCA offers a low income spay/neuter program. Why didn't this senior couple take advantage of that?
The SPCA is not in the biz of financially looking after others peoples pets, then after 6 months giving it back to said owner.
Give me a break. They couldn't afford her care for pregnancy, how would they for the diabetes?

Agreed.

The dog needs medical care, that they probably can't afford. The dog needs exercise every day, which they may (or may not) be able to provide.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It's sad they lost their pet but it seems to be their own fault and not the SPCA's.

Deal with it! Slow news day for CHBC?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

So, next time the dog gets sick, will they be running to SPCA to adopt the dog until it gets better too?

That's a dog, not a toy.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Carmencat
Übergod

Post by Carmencat »

These people were not only neglectful animal owners but apparently liars. They told the SPCA when they surrendered the dog that they took her in as a stray (according to the SPCA). But in the CHBC report they said they adopted the dog at another SPCA up north, and just hadn't got around to getting her spayed because they were too busy. So they let the dog get pregnant, then didn't want the responsibility of a pregnant dog.

They do not deserve to get the dog back, or to be animal owners. Period.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

if a person can not afford to spay or neuter

they got the dog from a shelter( did any one check their story or do you just call the liars) took the dog to a vet and found out it was sick and unspayed .they just needed help with the pups and then wanted their dog back .they were judged on their age.like old people cant have dogs .shame on the spca. whats with that shelter not knowing the dog wasn't spayed.even he admits he should have spayed the dog.We don't know his reasons for not doing it.I hope he gets another but better suited.
Last edited by kibbs on Dec 28th, 2012, 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peace be with you.

Return to “Central Okanagan”