Indian Gang Rape Victim Dies - RIP

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Indian Gang Rape Victim Dies - RIP

Post by Glacier »

What a travesty, and why won't they name the cowards who took turns raping her for over an hour? Are they scared of more accusations of rape jihad or something?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor ... le6784481/
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: Indian Gang Rape Victim Dies - RIP

Post by steven lloyd »

This is very sad. Horrific.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Just another ho-hum day in those countries where females are of little value and treated like garbage.

Scares the begeezuz outta me that so many of them bring these "cultures" here to Canada and expect to live the way they did back in their home countries. It doesn't bode well for our future.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Unbelievably sad. My first thought was that they should cut the rapist's lives short like that poor girl, but on second thought, they should be made to suffer the rest of their lives like the girl's family, and I'm not talking about just sitting in jail.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

zzontar wrote:Unbelievably sad. My first thought was that they should cut the rapist's lives short like that poor girl, but on second thought, they should be made to suffer the rest of their lives like the girl's family, and I'm not talking about just sitting in jail.

So, torture him? For the balance of his life....

What does that say about you as a human being?

I do understand the difference between retribution, punishment, vengeance, and revenge. Do you? AND which are you suggesting is best to prevent a second offence from occurring? keeping in mind the term "Humane" and what it means.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I remember watching an episode of a TV sci-fi series where as punishment convicted murderers were forced to relive the final seconds of their victim's lives as seen and felt by the victim. Every ten minutes. For the rest of their lives. Something rather poetic about that concept. What ye sow, so shall ye reap.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

-fluffy- wrote:I remember watching an episode of a TV sci-fi series where as punishment convicted murderers were forced to relive the final seconds of their victim's lives as seen and felt by the victim. Every ten minutes. For the rest of their lives. Something rather poetic about that concept. What ye sow, so shall ye reap.

I saw that movie too...pretty scary.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

grammafreddy wrote:Just another ho-hum day in those countries where females are of little value and treated like garbage.

Scares the begeezuz outta me that so many of them bring these "cultures" here to Canada and expect to live the way they did back in their home countries. It doesn't bode well for our future.

We get it that you don't like other "cultures" but there's a time and place for that, and this isn't it.

So sad this young woman lost her life in such a horrific manner.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

grammafreddy wrote:Scares the begeezuz outta me that so many of them bring these "cultures" here to Canada and expect to live the way they did back in their home countries.

I did not realize that gang rape was part of India's " culture ".
Gang rape is not unheard of in Canada and yet it is not part of our " culture ".
It wasn't long ago that talking about and reporting rape in Canada was taboo.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

GenuinelyInterested wrote:
So, torture him? For the balance of his life....

What does that say about you as a human being?

I do understand the difference between retribution, punishment, vengeance, and revenge. Do you? AND which are you suggesting is best to prevent a second offence from occurring? keeping in mind the term "Humane" and what it means.

Castration would prevent them from raping again, or do you have a better idea?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

oneh2obabe wrote:We get it that you don't like other "cultures" but there's a time and place for that, and this isn't it.

That's not true ... I have no problem with a lot of different cultural traditions ... however this is not one I like to see in Canada ... along with FGM, honour killings and sex-specific pregnancy terminations, among others - all of which we have here now as a common practice within their communities.

It's common place over there and the authorities, for the most part, turn a blind eye and do not do anything to stop the attacks on women and girls .... from the OP link:

But the tragedy has also forced India to confront the reality that sexually assaulted women are often blamed for the crime, which forces them to keep quiet and not report it to authorities for fear of exposing their families to ridicule. Also, police often refuse to accept complaints from those who are courageous enough to report the rapes and the rare prosecutions that reach courts drag on for years.

Indian attitudes toward rape are so entrenched that even politicians and opinion makers have often suggested that women should not go out at night or wear clothes that might be seen provocative.

Other politicians have come under fire for comments insulting the protesters and diminishing the crime.

On Friday, Abhijit Mukherjee, a national lawmaker and the son of India’s president, apologized for calling the protesters “highly dented and painted” women, who go from discos to demonstrations.

Separately, authorities in Punjab took action Thursday when an 18-year-old woman killed herself by drinking poison a month after she told police she was gang-raped.

State authorities suspended one police officer and fired two others on accusations they delayed investigating and taking action in the case. The three accused in the rape were only arrested Thursday night, a month after the crime was reported.

*snip*

The Press Trust of India reported that the woman was raped Nov. 13 and reported the attack to police Nov. 27. But police harassed the girl, asked her embarrassing questions and took no action against the accused, PTI reported, citing police sources.

Authorities in the eastern state of Chhattisgarh also suspended a police officer on accusations he refused to register a rape complaint from a woman who said she had been attacked by a driver.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Well, at least you didn't invent an "honor rape tradition".
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Captain Awesome wrote:Well, at least you didn't invent an "honor rape tradition".

I didn't invent anything.

SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

GF you are old enough ( I think ) to remember when women did not report sexual assaults because the police or the courts would say it was their fault or the woman herself would think it was her fault. Do you as a woman walk alone in the dark at night ? Do you feel confident to do so ?
How about domestic violence ? The police would not get involved.
I don't think India is any different then Canada was years back. It will take time but they too will eventually change.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:GF you are old enough ( I think ) to remember when women did not report sexual assaults because the police or the courts would say it was their fault or the woman herself would think it was her fault. Do you as a woman walk alone in the dark at night ? Do you feel confident to do so ?
How about domestic violence ? The police would not get involved.
I don't think India is any different then Canada was years back. It will take time but they too will eventually change.

You do have a point and maybe I will change my mind. You might need the smelling salts because I don't do that very often. Somehow I don't share your confidence that this will all change very soon, though. When they get charged with their crimes against their females, they just go underground and/or take the female back to their home countries to "get fixed" so they don't face the laws here. Please note - I said "countries" - it isn't just India.

Return to “Social Concerns”