SPCA: And you were complaining about the RDCO?

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: SPCA: and you were complaining about the RDCO?

Post by Captain Awesome »

Broken record syndrome detected.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Snickerdoodle
Board Meister

Post by Snickerdoodle »

Billyflynn,

We all appreciate that you and your family took on the duties of being a fabulous foster family for this little girl and her babes.... I'm personally not doubting any of your story, and I truly believe you are just trying to settle facts. But you list some items as they are facts... when in fact UNLESS you were standing in the room with the SPCA and the original couple you are also only getting facts from one source.

I'm not passing judgement on anyone, this is a difficult situation... but I have found that SOME of the volunteers/employee's less then honest about animals situations. They may have the animals best interest in heart, but sometimes their version of the story isn't as much factual true as its true in their hearts. I know this through a number of experiences with the SPCA also.

But again the comments that i have pulled from your post - are not based on facts but simply your decision to believe what you were told - again unless you were in the room and witnessed the "surrender" in question.

Frankly this is a sad situation all the way around, but I am glad that former Fifi is happy and well. And I firmly believe everything happens for a reason, good or bad. Maybe the original couple will find a new place in their broken hearts for another animal that was meant to be with them. If so I believe the powers of the universe will find that animals way to them.

I don’t want to be the judge or jury in this story, but I think it’s important that the details are set
right. The facts are pretty straightforward, don’t really leave a lot of room for interpretation and
are readily available for anyone willing to take the time:

 She was surrendered, knowingly and with full understanding of the ramifications to the
SPCA by the Hodsons, two days before she gave birth. They were not misled, lied to or
even given false hope. No one ever told the staff at the SPCA at the time of adoption that
they wanted her back; in fact, they wrote on her surrender documents that if the SPCA
was not successful in adopting her out, they may come and take her back. Their version,
which is very different, may play well on the local news but it simply isn’t true.

 She was brought to them in April, checked by their vet in May and never spayed, then
allowed to run free and became pregnant in late August sometime and gave birth in the
third week of October. The only reason given for not having her spayed was that they had
no time. We have three kids, full time jobs and still managed to get 7 puppies and the
Mama spayed, you only need to drop them off and pick them up that same day, not
perform the surgery.

 The family swears they were all there nursing her back to health and loving her, yet in her
time of need, the only option available to the Hodsons was to give her up for adoption,
leaving others to deal with the fallout and expense.

 Not only have they created tremendous stress amongst the employees and volunteers of
the Kelowna SPCA, they’ve also allowed them to be discredited and criticized based on
their false statements to CHBC. The proof exists in their own handwriting; the SPCA is
bound by confidentiality and therefore unable to respond directly to the allegations by the
Hodsons or be interviewed by CHBC for a rebuttal.

 Claiming age discrimination as a reason for their inability to re-adopt this dog is
ridiculous. It’s as much about age as it is about incompetence, irresponsibility and
selfishness. Enough of playing the victims: they created this situation and have let other
people clean-up the mess, pay for the cost and spend their time, never mind the fact that
they’ve blamed the SPCA for their own mistakes and allowed their friends, relatives and
supporters to defame those who are doing the clean-up for them.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Tough crowd.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Amazing how some people can take a happy ending and still b*tch about it.

Mama looks happy. Puppy(s) are adorable and in loving homes.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Pretty much say it all ,but I am sure this is not done yet.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

"Fifi" is twice lucky. Lucky to have been rescued by the Hodsens and lucky to ended up in the care of this SPCA foster family when the Hodsens could no longer meet her needs! So glad to hear things turned out well for her and her puppies.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Amazing how some people can take a happy ending and still b*tch about it.

Mama looks happy. Puppy(s) are adorable and in loving homes.

only insensitive people would see this as a happy ending .that old guy didn't look to happy .and with all the bad pr the spca gave themselves i doubt there to happy either.enjoy your doggy pictures cause it would seem to some, animals are more important then humans.shame
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

If the spca had any sense they would have apologized to this guy, regret not explaining the policy better and set him up with a suitable dog.If they at least said they would like to get him another, it wouldn't look like age discrimination. If they cared about humans at all ,it could have had much happier ending.
Peace be with you.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Captain Awesome wrote:Broken record syndrome detected.

You're right Cap't....because as glad as we all are that these people stepped up to help an animal and as much as their efforts are appreciated.....they have no more insight into what went on and what was said and done at that shelter the day this dog was brought in than any of us do.....they are simply repeating what they were told by the SPCA staff. The exact same thing that the SPCA posted on their Facebook page....almost word for word.

Why the need to trash this elderly couple and call them liars , presume to know what they were thinking, how the dog lived before she arrived at the shelter or how she was treated when they have nothing but hearsay to back that up?
Completely unnecessary.
They are obviously angry at the original owners based on what the SPCA told them....and they have no more insight into the truth than anyone else here.

They did however clear up one thing that the couple was being attacked on here for...and that is that they were indeed giving her veterinary care and trying to figure out what her health issue was.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Snickerdoodle wrote:Billyflynn,

We all appreciate that you and your family took on the duties of being a fabulous foster family for this little girl and her babes.... I'm personally not doubting any of your story, and I truly believe you are just trying to settle facts. But you list some items as they are facts... when in fact UNLESS you were standing in the room with the SPCA and the original couple you are also only getting facts from one source.

I'm not passing judgement on anyone, this is a difficult situation... but I have found that SOME of the volunteers/employee's less then honest about animals situations. They may have the animals best interest in heart, but sometimes their version of the story isn't as much factual true as its true in their hearts. I know this through a number of experiences with the SPCA also.

But again the comments that i have pulled from your post - are not based on facts but simply your decision to believe what you were told - again unless you were in the room and witnessed the "surrender" in question.

Frankly this is a sad situation all the way around, but I am glad that former Fifi is happy and well. And I firmly believe everything happens for a reason, good or bad. Maybe the original couple will find a new place in their broken hearts for another animal that was meant to be with them. If so I believe the powers of the universe will find that animals way to them.

EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

It seems like after every wave of posts criticism its followed up by a wave of polished damage control propaganda from team spca.i wonder how many puppies they have to sell to pay for that.if you say your not with the spca in your post i think you are.Honest people don't suspect people might be suspicious of them. The more you try and spin it, the deeper the hole you will dig.
:digging:
Peace be with you.
robik

Post by robik »

Firstly, I would like to commend Billy Flynn, his wife and family for not only giving this dog loving care and attention but for having to be tossed in the middle of this mess, quite by accident, I am sure, and enduring all the mistruths and assumptions from several ill-informed armchair critics.

While I have never been an advocate either for or against the SPCA and I do not work for or am I associated with the SPCA, one of my daughters does work for our local SPCA. I can assure you that she is probably one of the most compassionate people on this planet (all biases aside). She is a true animal lover and somewhat of a hero to her three sisters for her hard work, dedication and diligence. SPCA staff tend and care for these sheltered animals in what amounts to near 24/7, family holidays included. When most of us are enjoying friend and relative gatherings they often are serving the needs of the animals. They are a dedicated, hard-working and, contrary to what some on these forums may believe, generally underpaid bunch.

With all that said, this particular pile of nonsense has been very demoralizing for several of the local SPCA staff. As mentioned earlier being bound by confidentiality rules they are unable to show that all paper work is in order and that, in my opinion, would be very hard to misunderstand the ramifications of signing them? All other facts and factors leading up to the surrender of the dog is irrelevant after we consider that the Hodsons were entirely aware of the implication and consequence of their actions.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

All other facts and factors leading up to the surrender of the dog is irrelevant after we consider that the Hodsons were entirely aware of the implication and consequence of their

What happened at the surrender is the Most relevant thing to this issue.This is where the spca deceived this man.when you tell a guy his request to have his dog returned will be honored and not inform him he might not get it back is dishonest and low.How can i feel sympathy for spca staff when they only care about animals.just as long as the animals are ok,there isn't a problem.if he was so aware of the policy why did he come back for his dog?
Last edited by kibbs on Dec 31st, 2012, 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace be with you.
robik

Post by robik »

What possible reason(s) would SPCA staff have to deceive these people?
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

What possible reason(s) would SPCA staff have to deceive these people?

their policy of animal worship at all costs .even taking a dog from a poor old man.
it would appear that when this volunteer family fell in love with this dog. they gambled that this old guy would either understand and forgive or he would be too weak to fight back.i think they lost that gamble .now they are gambling that buy bombarding us with a happy adoption story that we will forget the injustice done,
Peace be with you.

Return to “Central Okanagan”