NFL Play-offs!

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: NFL Play-offs!

Post by steven lloyd »

theyeti wrote:a bit off topic .. but is anyone else gonna be watching the bcs national championship . lots of good games on today . and bama vs notre dame should be a classic .

I was just downstairs watching a bit of the Capital One Bowl, Georgia and Nebraska, and it's shaping up to be a gunfight. I'm a bit of a Notre Dame fan. Do you know when the BCS National Championship game is going to be played ?
Winston_Smith
Fledgling

Post by Winston_Smith »

steven lloyd wrote:I was just downstairs watching a bit of the Capital One Bowl, Georgia and Nebraska, and it's shaping up to be a gunfight. I'm a bit of a Notre Dame fan. Do you know when the BCS National Championship game is going to be played ?

January 7 (Monday) on TSN.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

would be good for college football and the catholic church if notre dame were to win

i would not be sad to see them beat the red tide .. but sec schools tend to win titles
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

theyeti wrote:would be good for college football and the catholic church if notre dame were to win

:137: No offense I hope, but who cares about the Catholic Church ???

Trivia: Did you know that the helmets that the players wear at Notre Dame are freshly painted before every game, and that in the gold paint used to paint the helmets there are real flakes of gold ? Crazy huh ?
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

im not a church supporter or a church basher , however i think it will get a boost if notre dame wins . kinda like tim tebow how he made kneeling to pray in public acceptable .

not sure if that made much sense but thats about how i feel lol ..

as for the gold , r u sure about that ??
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

theyeti wrote: as for the gold , r u sure about that ??

It was on a half-time feature during one of their home games, but it was some time ago. Still, I have no reason to believe they have changed this tradition. Have you ever seen pictures of the campus? Brilliant gold domes everywhere. I don't know how much gold flake is used in the paint but if you ever get to see them playing against a team that also has gold-coloured helmets you will really notice it (especially now that I have you thinking about it).

ETA: Here, found this ...

The tradition of having 23.9 karat gold in the helmet continues. Actual gold flakes, collected when the Golden Dome was regilded, are still included in the painting process by Hydro Graphics Inc.

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec ... 11aad.html
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

hmmm cool i knew they had all kinds of money . didnt know they were using 24k gold to shine up there helmets lol
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Not every week though anymore:

Will the helmets still be painted by the student managers each week?

After exhausting many options, the football equipment staff was forced to decide between continuing the tradition of painting helmets and having a subpar helmet or altering the painting process to get a superior helmet. The football staff, along with Notre Dame Athletics Director Jack *name removed* and head coach Brian Kelly, felt it was more important to get the color correct.

The student managers will still be involved with the maintenance of the helmet each game week, including inspection, removal of scuff marks and cleaning. The new paint process is so detailed it is unable to be duplicated by Notre Dame, so it is impossible to be applied each week.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

so what does that mean ?? so complicated they cant replicate it ?? painting a helmet ?? lol

anyways back to the foot ball rose bowl game is a good one go badgers !
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

rutland1 wrote:I'm going to pick the 4 visitors next week,Bengals,Vikings,Colts, and of course the Seahawks.

steven lloyd wrote:Wow, feeling gutsy are ya?

Well, the Texans are limping in while the Bengals have won seven of their last eight games and have a strong defense.

The Vikings will be an upset not exactly having a defense that is dominant enough to stop Aaron Rodgers & Co.

The Colts and Ravens should be close. I used to be a Colts fan and I’ve grown to like the Ravens. The Colts have won five of their last six games but the Ravens are playing at home and usually win at least one playoff game. Tough call but I’ll go with the Ravens.

The Seahawks are definitely good enough to beat the Redskins and should do so.

So, I pick the Bengals, the Packers, the Ravens and the Seahawks.

I will agree with your predictions Steven, but I'd say the Washington Redskins vs Seattle Seahawks could be close and could go either way.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

steven lloyd wrote: Well, the Texans are limping in while the Bengals have won seven of their last eight games and have a strong defense. ... So, I pick the Bengals, ....

Well, 0 and 1 to start. Bad pick. They say defense wins playoff games but the Texans offence played better than most expected (took their points as they came), and the Bengal's offence barely showed up. Still expect a Packers win tonight.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

So, jumping ahead to next weekend, so far we have the Texans visiting the Patriots (sorry boys, not a chance) and the Packers heading to San Fransico. I'm still sticking on the Packers bandwagon. Go Packers, go !!!
rutland1
Board Meister

Post by rutland1 »

I'm 0 for 2 tonight. GB played a good game, and it should be a doozy with Sanfran next week. The Texans did not impress me today, and better play alot better if they think they have a chance against the Pats.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I was expecting a different outcome of Bengals & Texans.

I agree with you rutland1 if Texans play like that against Pats............. well I expects the Pats to win no matter.

Yes, GB vs 49's should be good.

Atlanta vs ????............ hmm could be upset of the play-off's

Denver vs ???? ............ I'm thinking Denver will move-on.

Hey its football on any given Sunday anything can & will happen.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

rutland1 wrote:I'm 0 for 2 tonight.

2 for 3 for me so far - I should never have picked against the Texans at home #-o
I still expect the Seahawks to beat the Redskins but it might be close.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”