The end of the world as we know it

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

The end of the world as we know it

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: The end of the world as we know it

Post by kibbs »

you lost me at rush limbaugh
Peace be with you.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Red herring much? Jon Stewart is a frequent guest on Bill O'Reilly, and that doesn't mean he's just like O'Reilly.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

America Alone: The End of the World As We Know It, Mark Steyn

Glacier, other than your posting this video and your present signature on the forum here, I have no clue what you might think of the video, but, to me, here’s just one observation taken from it that might relate:

19:00—Steyn says,
. . . if you take a picture of the average 13 year-old in California today, and then you take a picture of a 13 year-old, say, from my part of New Hampshire circa 1878 . . . side by side which one would you rather leave your house to if you had to go away for a weekend? I don’t think it’s a very difficult question to answer that one. Now, that’s fine when you’re 13, but what happens when you extend adolescence? The president of the United States has told us if you’re 26 years old you can stay on your parents’ health insurance . . . at 27 you’ve got to shape up and move out of your parents’ insurance agency, but until then you’re a child. The problem is, I think we’ve created a society of permanent adolescence. Why it that 50— 100 years ago people could make their own health care arrangements but now the state has to do it for us? And what does that say about us? . . . When you insulate your citizens from all (of) the most basic pressures of life, what kind of citizenry do you end up with? And that’s why I think we are creating a society of permanent adolescence where we talk about our ipods, we talk about the music we listen to, we talk about our cable packages, whereas everything important—the decisions are made for us by the government.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

WTTG wrote:And that’s why I think we are creating a society of permanent adolescence where we talk about our ipods, we talk about the music we listen to, we talk about our cable packages, whereas everything important—the decisions are made for us by the government.

That's pretty accurate.
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

As Gracier’s, America Alone, post might relate to the video you posted, Captain Awesome:

34:40—Mark Steyn says “. . . at some point we have to grasp the nettle of mass immigration, which is always a sign of societal weakness . . .. a sign of a structural defect . . .

If this is so then what might some of those weaknesses and defects be here in Canada? For instance, what jobs are mass immigrants taking on that we at home don’t seem to have enough people to take on, seem to be prepared to take on for ourselves, or don’t seem to wish to take on for ourselves? How might we need to adjust our economic and family values to accommodate Steyn’s assertions?
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Red herring much? Jon Stewart is a frequent guest on Bill O'Reilly

ahh you got me to watch half with that,but i was still fished into right wing think tank,i get what he is saying ,birth control and greed and selfishness and lack of community an families are all split up,people get welfare buy drugs and feed there kids with crap from the food bank and western culture only value people as individuals.not as families or communities the way Muslim do .And because of this they are taking over the world by having more children and filling our selfish consumerism void.Instead of complaining about do something.make a baby join your church , volunteer to help youth .make white culture worth having babies in
other cultures taught me how to hug my kids every day .my wasp parents never did.they taught me not to have kids cause they are expensive.
Peace be with you.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Well, its the end of the year as we know it. Hope everybody makes the transition without too much trouble. Have a happy and fun new year.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

All you have to do is walk down the street to see where the fruture is.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

WTTG wrote:If this is so then what might some of those weaknesses and defects be here in Canada? For instance, what jobs are mass immigrants taking on that we at home don’t seem to have enough people to take on, seem to be prepared to take on for ourselves, or don’t seem to wish to take on for ourselves? How might we need to adjust our economic and family values to accommodate Steyn’s assertions?

Good questions to be sure. Some immigration is good, and certainly most of us would not be here in Canada if it weren't for immigration. If we look at countries like Japan and Russia, we can see that no immigration is bad economically. The premise of his book is that Europe is letting in the Trojan horse by allowing mostly Muslim immigrants.

Canada is probably in a different boat because we have immigrants from all over the world bringing a mix of all the different religions. The largest blocks of religions moving here have not been Muslim historically. For example, a higher percentage of British Columbia is Sikh than is found in India.
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

I actually downloaded the audio book in question and started listening to it. So far so good - but he does have rather strong opinions on some things.
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

Yeah, Glacier, so in Canada we’ve probably already, ‘grasped the nettle of mass immigration.’ And, maybe according to Prime Minister Harper, the ‘nettle’ of massive foreign investment to go along with it. So, as far as my earlier questions are concerned, we can probably just carry on camping with no worries. Still, I guess I should have asked at the outset: Why did you post the video?

Good for you CA, I'd be interested in hearing any further thoughts you have after listening.

Return to “Social Concerns”