China makes plans to mine the Arctic

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: China makes plans to mine the Arctic

Post by Rwede »

grammafreddy wrote:How do you know these "temporary workers" from China will be paying Canadian income taxes? How do you know all their wages won't be going home to China and very little spent here in Canada?

Looks like a zero return to me ...

We don't know if these foreign-owned subsidiaries will be paying corporate income taxes - do we? We have no idea what the Canadian government is doing about income taxes, health care costs, royalties, anything.

Who is supposed to be building this 4-season road they are demanding? That's not going to be a cheap deal. Who is going to be keeping the shipping passage open for them in freeze-up? That won't be cheap, either. Who is going to build the shipping terminal for them - or will that be Chinese jobs for Chinese workers, too?

And what about all the families of these Chinese workers? Will they be expecting to come over and stay in Canada while their spouses are working up north? Who is going to cover costs for them?

You're 100% wrong. See my post above. And then go study Canadian tax law.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

grammafreddy wrote:Mayyyyybeeee .... somebody should just say, "No - we'll mine our own resources with our own workers and sell it to you". That way, Canadians get jobs and Canada gets revenue from taxation (corporate and personal income tax).

Where ARE all the Canadian mining companies anyway?

Rwede wrote:
Canada gets the same amount of income tax from a foreign company doing business in Canada and a foreign worker working in Canada as they do from a Canadian company and Canadian workers.

What's your point? Do you think General Motors Canada doesn't pay income tax in Canada because they are owned by GM USA?

Are they hiring temporary American workers?

How much did it cost in "bail out" money to keep GM in Canada? Yeah, yeah, I know - WE don't call it "bail out" - we call it something else to mask it for what it really was.

We also don't know what concessions the Canadian government has been coerced into by the Chinese.

Do we?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

You're now mixing auto "bail outs" with income taxes paid by foreign workers and foreign companies.

Foreign workers and foreign subsidiaries pay the same taxes on income earned in Canada as Canadians. Period. Tax law is not negotiable by foreigners.

Quit trying to deflect the subject to auto "bail outs" which have nothing to do with mining and foreign workers/subsidiaries. Admit you were wrong and move on with the original subject.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

It is amazing to me how often history repeets itself. 120 years ago, the same cycle of racism and fear about the Chinese coming here to work was in full effect. If you don't believe me, look at the section in the Courier where they post news from 100 years ago, and you'll see some mention of the anti-Chinese sentiment that existed back then. They just were more open about it back then, as political correctness wasn't invented yet.
Not afraid to say "It".
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Rwede wrote:You're now mixing auto "bail outs" with income taxes paid by foreign workers and foreign companies.

Foreign workers and foreign subsidiaries pay the same taxes on income earned in Canada as Canadians. Period. Tax law is not negotiable by foreigners.

Quit trying to deflect the subject to auto "bail outs" which have nothing to do with mining and foreign workers/subsidiaries. Admit you were wrong and move on with the original subject.

Down, boy.

Sit.

Stay.

It wasn't me who mentioned GM first - was it????????????????????????? I wonder who brought them into this mix??? Hmmm????

I am quite happy to stay on topic. So let's talk about TEMPORARY foreign workers and Canadian Income Tax.

Do the temporary Mexicans who come to work in the orchards pay Canadian Income Tax? Do they also pay Mexican Income Tax?

Let's also talk about Canadians having jobs. That's where our economy gets the biggest bang for the wage buck. Canadians spend their money locally.

Let's also talk about Chinese workers sending the bulk of their paycheques home to China rather than spending them here to bolster our Canadian economy. Of course, that'll be after their Chinese employer takes their pound of flesh for their indenture off the top (what was it - $16,000?), plus their costs for camp living, plus maybe even Chinese income tax plus whatever else ....
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Foreign workers pay Canadian taxes just like everyone else does. Foreign owned companies (or in this case jointly owned companies) registered in BC pay income taxes just like any other company in BC. Company would be the one paying for improvements needed to do business - terminal, roads, etc. Wifes and families would not be funded by the govt to come here. And lastly, who cares where people spend money - if they want to send their paychecks to China - nobody cares.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Captain Awesome wrote:Foreign workers pay Canadian taxes just like everyone else does. Foreign owned companies (or in this case jointly owned companies) registered in BC pay income taxes just like any other company in BC. Company would be the one paying for improvements needed to do business - terminal, roads, etc. Wifes and families would not be funded by the govt to come here. And lastly, who cares where people spend money - if they want to send their paychecks to China - nobody cares.

Does that apply to temporary workers, too?

Does anyone care about jobs for Canadians in Canada? Or is that all globalized now, too?

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

grammafreddy wrote:Does that apply to temporary workers, too? Does anyone care about jobs for Canadians in Canada? Or is that all globalized now, too?

By definition, all foreign workers are temporary.

Oil and mining industries employ enormous number of foreign workers, don't know why now all of a sudden it's a concern. Besides, nowhere does it say that this particular project will be run with foreign labor...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Okay - I give. I am the only one who cares about Canadian jobs for Canadian citizens in Canada mining Canadian natural resources. Everyone else is chewing the global cud and swallowed the "we are the world" kool-aid. I hear a big collective "F Canada" these days from its own citizens and it distresses me greatly.

But LOOK!!!! They have a sale on now!!!!!!!! Only $399. Save $100.

http://www.rosettastone.com/learn-chinese

albertabound
Board Meister

Post by albertabound »

removed - Jennylives
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

removed - Jennylives

Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

grammafreddy wrote:Do the temporary Mexicans who come to work in the orchards pay Canadian Income Tax? Do they also pay Mexican Income Tax?

Yes, they pay Canadian income tax the same as you or I would. It depends on Mexican tax treaties with Canada as to whether those Mexican workers would have to pay income tax in Mexico as well on their Canadian earnings. But one thing is certain, they pay Canadian income tax at the same rates the rest of us do on what we earn here.

grammafreddy wrote: Of course, that'll be after their Chinese employer takes their pound of flesh for their indenture off the top (what was it - $16,000?), plus their costs for camp living, plus maybe even Chinese income tax plus whatever else ....

Who cares? What China does as far as taxes is none of our business and it doesn't affect us as Canadians. If those people want to pay $16,000 to come and work here, that's up to them, not us. No one forced them to come here or pay, it was their own choice. They saw it as opportunity for a better life, the same as I might pay $16,000 to move my stuff to Australia and work there. My money and my choice - who are you to tell me I shouldn't seek opportunity elsewhere?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Fisher-Dude wrote:
Who cares? What China does as far as taxes is none of our business and it doesn't affect us as Canadians. If those people want to pay $16,000 to come and work here, that's up to them, not us. No one forced them to come here or pay, it was their own choice. They saw it as opportunity for a better life, the same as I might pay $16,000 to move my stuff to Australia and work there. My money and my choice - who are you to tell me I shouldn't seek opportunity elsewhere?

You have totally missed my point - or chose to ignore it. I don't care where those Chinese people go - as long as it does not impact Canadians and as long as they are paying into our coffers. My preference is that it should be Canadian companies doing the mining, using Canadian workers. Then they can sell the product to China. That is what is most beneficial to our people and our country. I don't give a flying flip about China and their people. I care about Canada and Canadians.

If I was Australian and you, a Canuck, took a job away from me in my country, I wouldn't like you much.

Are you working now? Why don't you let some Chinese person have your job?

Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Canada was built on immigration. Today's foreign workers are tomorrows contributing Canadians. Canadians have the same opportunities to mine what they want and work for who they want.

The 1870s called they want their ignorance back.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Hassel99 wrote:Canada was built on immigration. Today's foreign workers are tomorrows contributing Canadians. Canadians have the same opportunities to mine what they want and work for who they want.

The 1870s called they want their ignorance back.

Yeah, huh? Well, the 2030s will be calling .... where are your grandkids going to find work?

Return to “Canada”