Big Cougar Visits West Kelowna

French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Re: Big Cougar Visits West Kelowna

Post by French Castanut »

andrew_r_mcintosh wrote:In all honesty, the cat population is doing pretty well here. You relocate this one and another will just take it's place.

Then just cut the tree branch and you'll be just fine.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
Tony
Übergod

Re: Big Cougar visits West Kelowna

Post by Tony »

[quote="French Castanut"][/quote]

And she have something between her legs too :dyinglaughing:

It's a it.

Good Lord Castanut - they don't nuture cougars. It's either a male or female, but you can't tell from the picture is all I'm saying.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I think you mean neuter?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

I was told by my english teacher that an animal is always a it. So if it's not butchered cut, it's a he/she/shemale?
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

andrew_r_mcintosh wrote:Two things misleading about this headline.

1) It's not a big cat, it's of pretty normal size for the area.
2) It's more then likely not visiting.

It's not just as easy as calling a CO and having it moved.
If it's a female and has young, the young will den with mom for up to two years.
You'd have to actually see it, determine its sex, and if it's a female, you'd have to determine if it's got young before removing it from wherever it's calling home.

In all honesty, the cat population is doing pretty well here. You relocate this one and another will just take it's place.

The COs are useless anyway it doesnt matter what it is deer, bear cougars they claim its not their problem call the district, bear aware anyone else. If it was on my property I would want it moved whether it had young or not.Its possible but unlikely another will just replace it like that, there is alot of spots for cougars thats bs the COs like to tell people so they dont have to do anything.
andrew_r_mcintosh
Fledgling

Post by andrew_r_mcintosh »

fall wrote:The COs are useless anyway it doesnt matter what it is deer, bear cougars they claim its not their problem call the district, bear aware anyone else. If it was on my property I would want it moved whether it had young or not.Its possible but unlikely another will just replace it like that, there is alot of spots for cougars thats bs the COs like to tell people so they dont have to do anything.

Sure sounds like you don't like CO's

Just putting this out there...
Cougar found in a basement on highpoint drive last year, I hear there is a cat that lives at knox.
Cougar spotting around davidson elementary a few years back in winfield
I was stalked by a mom and multiple cubs on Highrim trail near beaver lake rd 3 years ago
I've had probably 10 encounters within 2 kms up postil lake rd, I've had a stare off with mom and i've seen her 2 cubs on several occasions. I'd guess the cubs have moved on now...this is over a 6 year period.
Came within 60feet of a cat this fall riding Crawford at night. I hear it's often spotted near lost lake.
I've had over 15 encounters and maybe 3 sightings of cats up gillard. I've seen mom twice, once crossing the fsr, once we had a 20 min stand off with her. She now has cubs, I know where her den is, they make their presences known every time I go up there and end up in their turf....

2 years ago I walked into grouse outfitters looking for a big knife to carry on me at all times when i'm in the bush alone (don't have a gun yet) and when i mentioned cats, everyone in the store stopped what they were doing and started to listen to me....nobody could believe the number of encounters i've had so close to town.

I've seen more cougars then black bears.
Abortions for some, tiny american flags for others.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

That's kind of creepy and amazing at the same time. I've long had the idea that if you see the cougar, it's either too late, or you were not considered prey in the first place.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
andrew_r_mcintosh
Fledgling

Post by andrew_r_mcintosh »

Food for thought,
I was doing a job at the zoo in kamloops in the fall, when I was done, I asked the guy if I could go check out the cats, he said sure.
There was 3 of us, all tall full grown men, we started at the lynx cage, it was visible and looked content.
Next was the bobcat cage, it seemed a bit edgy but curious at the same time.
Next was the cougar cage. At first it looked empty, then as we stood there, one of them made an appearance, then 2 then 3 then 4. It took us a couple of minutes before we spotted the 4th and largest cat. Just as we spotted the 4th cat a family approached with 2 young kids and 2 elderly people. I watched the cats, as they spotted/heard the kids and old people they all came out of hiding and were very focused on the kids and the slow moving old people......I saw this as easy targets, low risk food.

The sign on the cage said they can jump 5m high and eat a deer a week.
Abortions for some, tiny american flags for others.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Bsuds wrote:I think you mean neuter?

Oh ya... I didn't think that looked right. Thanks. :127:
blondewithbrains
Board Meister

Post by blondewithbrains »

Tony wrote:Why wasn't the CO called so they could move the Cougar to a different location away from people? If it hangs around a lot, it's going to be dispatched.

This cat was in the area of the fire in 2009, at least the person who took the photo lives in that vicinity so I would assume that it was in the forested area on Gates Rd up behind Gormans....why would someone "move" a cougar that is in their own habitat and we have infringed upon their territory??? These animals were in this area long before the houses were, you are taking your own chances with wildlife if you choose to build in the rural areas.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

How can you tell it's the same cat? I didn't notice a brand or name tag or anything. The fire was over 3 years ago, I'm thinking that any cats that were there then have moved on.

It's okay by me - I don't live near there, but if I had a big cat in my back yard, I'd be calling to have it removed before it ate one of my kids, dogs, neighbours etc.

They are meat eaters.
blondewithbrains
Board Meister

Post by blondewithbrains »

Tony wrote:How can you tell it's the same cat? I didn't notice a brand or name tag or anything. The fire was over 3 years ago, I'm thinking that any cats that were there then have moved on.

It's okay by me - I don't live near there, but if I had a big cat in my back yard, I'd be calling to have it removed before it ate one of my kids, dogs, neighbours etc.

They are meat eaters.

Let me re-phrase this...The person who took the photo lives in the area of the forest fire from 2009 up behind Gormans Mill...so this photo was probably taken in that area, which is the rural area on the south side of Gates Rd. I did not say it was the SAME cat, just making a point as to the area where the cat was spotted...These people are used to wildlife in their backyard as it is just as much the cougars territory as the people who own the property...Clear as mud now?!?!
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge.

Return to “Central Okanagan”