How can we improve the bike lanes in Kelowna

Home of the traffic rant.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: How can we improve the bike lanes in Kelowna

Post by kibbs »

When living in toronto there bike paths that followed all the waterways and green spaces .lets build paths away from the roads.
There is a switch back hill on east kelowna rd formally known as the hollywood hill.it has become a popular route for road biking.there is barely room for two cars .i keep seeing bad things in my crystal ball.
what happened to the bike licencing system in kelowna, i see stickers on vintage bikes but they seem to end in the 80s.Absolutely we should pay for the service.wheres my ktown plate?.heres my 100 bones.cranking out cool ogo pogo plates will only help promote cycling.
heres the link to coucil recorings you can hear the dicussion on the dec 17th meeting
http://www.castanet.net/kelownacouncil/
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

i just made a request to the city of kelowna services to look into the east k rd,situation.hers the link to ktown bike stuff.check out the map ,i found it a little hard to follow but it is full of info.watch the video to.

http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/Page633.aspx
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I recieved call back from city of kelowna from someone who could not help me with my request for service ,but wanted me to know that someone who could help would call shortly,
this switchback hill on e k rd. is so narrow steep and curvey that you feel like your on a reality trucker show when you pass another truck going the other way.the traffic from the mission has increased 3 fold since they put the new mountain bike park in.
this would be a great place to put an off traffic bike trail.or a pedestrian bicyle bridge spanning mission creek.at least make the hill a sharrow until something is done
sharrow.jpg

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/bsafe/28372.html
Peace be with you.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

How can we improve the bike lanes in Kelowna?

Make the cyclists use them and stay within them.

That would make them better for me.
Thank you very much.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Graham Adder wrote:How can we improve the bike lanes in Kelowna?

Make the cyclists use them and stay within them.

I think we are on the same page in that both cyclists and motorists have to stay in their own lanes.

kgcayenne wrote:Make people stop driving in them at intersections as though they were right turn lanes for vehicles. Egads I hate it when I'm waiting in the bike lane to go straight and some nimrod decides squeeze just barely between the curb and the cars in the ACTUAL vehicle lane...
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

kgcayenne wrote:I think we are on the same page in that both cyclists and motorists have to stay in their own lanes.

I see people everyday crowding the bike lanes as though they are a turn lane.
I've even had some Albertan 'roid ape do some 'roid-road-rage-routine on me because I sat at the red and waited for my turn to turn instead of squeezing the bike lane so this buffoon could get through.

I drive a wide vehicle, so often would not be able to make the squeeze.
Now, if I am a few cars back, I'll squeeze right to the bike lane to keep the BMW and Mercedes crowd from using the bike lane.
Man alive does that peeve them off.
I love it.

Just for the record...I'm also one of those who will open their right hand door to block the shoulder from motorcycles using the shoulder to avoid waiting in traffic. You bike riders can whine all you wish about the heat of the engine and the damages it can cause to idle too long with no cooling...blah blah blah...change modes of transportation to suit the laws of the roads.
They too get really peeved.
I love it.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

cause to idle too long with no cooling...blah blah blah...change modes of transportation to suit the laws of the roads.
They too get really peeved.
I love it.

Your a smart guy ,you should know that your behavior is motivated by bike envy.Be careful ,your vigilante jealous justice might end badly. If you meet a biker who will take the time to cool his twin cylinders and demonstrate his opinion,what if a bicycle came along .Its not your space to take either.a think a lot of forgiveness is needed on the road .Most cyclists understand how hard it is to get around them at times but cars need to know we have a right to be here.This town is still young ,lots can be done.
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I just received a call from a nice chap named Makeesh from the city of Kelowna in regards to my request for service to improve the dangerous bike situation on the east kelowna rd switchback hill.
He explained to me that the section of east Kelowna Rd. to which I want bike lane improvement on is too narrow and steep for bike lanes and too much money to build a separate bike lanes.
He suggested the markings and signs for a sharrow and was told that I would have to discuss it with traffic controls and was given a name and number.
My quest continues
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

WOW! I just got an email from Laurens Campbell and guess what kibbs got for Easter?

Yes, we can certainly add some sharrows to the uphill portions of East Kelowna Road. I don’t think they are necessary for the downhill direction as cyclists could travel as fast as vehicles in that direction.

I will also look into adding some signs to advise drivers of the presence of cyclists in that area as well.

Laurens Campbell, AScT
Traffic Technologist
Civic Operations
Sorry, I forgot to mention that we may have to wait for the spring sweeping program to finish before we can paint those symbols.

:nyah: :discodance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BRv9wGf5pk
Peace be with you.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Good work...sometimes we can make a change happen..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Thank you 50.I 'm so jazzed by this .I feel like I may have saved someones life ,Maybe my own or my kids,It has inspired me to further pursue my dream.Its not often you get to literally make a mark on the world.
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/88 ... -set-to-go

Sorry for not even knowing about this before my original post I didn't realize it would go that far .Could you imagine riding your bike to the airport and taking your bike with you everywhere in the world. :sunshine:
Peace be with you.
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

Now we can see the very poor outcome of Kelowna's failure of planning and designing for this day. We have no through corridors, No, straight through roads or bypasses with no lights, no land set aside for the use. Real user friendly bike/running paths need to be paved, traffic hassle free etc. Riding down the side of a major congested road is not a safe and properly planned corridor.
Kelowna needs south/north and west/east paved, no stop corridor. But its too late for that...
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Kelowna needs south/north and west/east paved, no stop corridor. But its too late for that

I don't believe it is too late.If there is a will There is a way.Its easy to throw your arms up in the air and give up .It takes a good idea to make change .Try to think of way to make it happen .Even if you need to dig tunnels and build bridges.
Peace be with you.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

we can make the bike lanes safer by simply banning bikes.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”