You know you're from Penticton if . . .

johnhenry
Übergod

Re: You know you're from Penticton if you remember. . .

Post by johnhenry »

The cow with the glass window on it's side at the Experimental Farm.......

Square Dance Jamboree.....
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
BC Dave

Re: You know you're from Penticton if . . .

Post by BC Dave »

Neither of these events are way back in time, but I think of two moments that really changed Penticton. The first is the opening of Cherry Lane Mall in 1975. Having a Woodwards and a mall, small as it was, made Penticton feel significantly different. The second event was the opening of the Delta Lakeside Resort as it was then known in about 1982. To walk into that hotel and sit in the lounge overlooking the lake took several degrees of "hickness" away from our city. I have friends that hadn't been in Penticton since about 1988 until last year and could hardly recognize the place from Cherry Lane south to Skaha Beach. It would certainly be interesting to have a crystal ball to see what our little city will look like in 2040.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

True enough. There was a point back then where town sort of fizzled out around Industrial Avenue and you were out in the orchards and fields till you got down almost to Skaha Lake. The Penticton Plaza was a pretty big operation in those days.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
sale4u
Fledgling

Post by sale4u »

I'm afraid to say it but I don't think this place will look much different in 2040. Our local politicians are too scared to make changes here for fear of losing the vote of the small amount of people that protest any change. I find it Ironic that the ones that are remembering what once was and appreciate how this city has changed are now the ones fighting change. :dyinglaughing: :skyisfalling:
bipdl
Board Meister

Post by bipdl »

sale4u wrote:I find it Ironic that the ones that are remembering what once was and appreciate how this city has changed are now the ones fighting change.

:137:
What ARE you talking about?

Or more specifically, to WHOM are you referring?

Do you hear these voices often?
'Authority' is not a reason.
The most universally violated human right is the Right To Be Treated With Dignity.
Pffft, you humans. It's amazing you've made it this far. - Prot
anna nymous

Post by anna nymous »

what was the place on Main St, on the WEST side of Main, it was near the KFC - it had that HUGE pair of denim jeans in the window with the tiny pair of denim jeans underneath the upside down V of the big huge jeans ---

they had so many pairs of jeans - that's where i got my first pair of jeans in about 1970 or so. Wranglers!

=========
and then Mr Mikes down on North Main near Front St on the EAST side I think - we kids loved it - i'm sure the 1970's do-everything mom's loved it too - a night out! (oh yay, Mr Mikes - but in those days, it was pretty OK and the price was right - i remember we liked eating off the trays - a big treat for us)

=========
yes, and as mentioned above, the old research station and the window cows - and the tug and barge on the lake each day
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

The Sunshine Fair held at the race track back in 1974

Ed, the older gentleman with the one crutch for his bad leg.
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

anna nymous wrote:what was the place on Main St, on the WEST side of Main, it was near the KFC - it had that HUGE pair of denim jeans in the window with the tiny pair of denim jeans underneath the upside down V of the big huge jeans ---

they had so many pairs of jeans - that's where i got my first pair of jeans in about 1970 or so. Wranglers!

Was it Union Jack's ?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

johnhenry wrote:Was it Union Jack's ?

Or was it Joanne Grimaldi's jeans store, "Chuck's and Charlie's"?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

twobits wrote:Or was it Joanne Grimaldi's jeans store, "Chuck's and Charlie's"?

I think you may be right twobits. I seem to recall that Union Jacks was on the north east corner of Wade and Main and Chuck's and Charlie's was further south near the KFC.
Bellacuda

Post by Bellacuda »

Wizards, Uncle Tom's Cabin and the liquor store on Martin
Bellacuda

Post by Bellacuda »

Price and Markle
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

I wonder if anyone will remember this - Western Chef
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
RupertBear
Übergod

Post by RupertBear »

johnhenry wrote:

twobits wrote:Or was it Joanne Grimaldi's jeans store, "Chuck's and Charlie's"?

I think you may be right twobits. I seem to recall that Union Jacks was on the north east corner of Wade and Main and Chuck's and Charlie's was further south near the KFC.

I remember Bil French Men's Wear on the northeast corner of Main and Wade in the late 1980s. Maybe he moved in when Union Jacks moved out.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou
diggermechanic

Post by diggermechanic »

the primary school. Grades 1 through 3. The library sits on that site now. Where Midas Muffler is there was a trolley car near the river which was a coffee shop. Before the Plaza was built.... it was an open field with a big faded red barn in the middle.

Return to “South Okanagan”