iPhone newbie questions

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Shawner
Fledgling

iPhone newbie questions

Post by Shawner »

Looking at getting an iphone for my wife. She doesn't want to use it for data/surfing at all, just phone and texting. Have dealt with Telus in the past, will probably go with them here too. So here's the questions:

1) Can you do a pay-as-you-go deal with the iPhone for phoning/texting?
2) If just using for phone/texting, is there any benefit to a higher model/more memory, etc? (ie. 4, 4s, etc)
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Re: iPhone newbie questions

Post by skydawg »

Why even go with an iphone if all she will be doing is text/talk? Not cheap
Shawner
Fledgling

Post by Shawner »

Telus shows a voice plan for $35/month, get 150min talking and unlimited texting. http://www.telusmobility.com/en/BC/clear_choice_voice/index.shtml

Would it matter if it was an iphone or a regular flip phone?

Something I probably should have mentioned before, I'll probably be looking to pick up a used one that isn't already locked into a contract so won't need the $50/month minimum specified by Telus to get a new one for free thru them.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

pick one up in classifieds unlocked or get it unlocked and pick whatever plan you want, monthly or pay as you go. Prob much cheaper phones out there for just talk and text though but at least you would have the option with iphone
Quixote
Fledgling

Post by Quixote »

skydawg wrote:Why even go with an iphone if all she will be doing is text/talk? Not cheap

This is a good question; spending a fortune on a phone for basic use doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/BC/clear_choice_voice/index.shtml

Would it matter if it was an iphone or a regular flip phone?

Something I probably should have mentioned before, I'll probably be looking to pick up a used one that isn't already locked into a contract so won't need the $50/month minimum specified by Telus to get a new one for free thru them.

You should consider Koodo instead - the iPhone 4 is $150 (plus $150 on the tab) and comes with a $100 gift card at retail stores. Koodo's plans are good as well; for example, you could get a plan that includes 100 Canada-Wide minutes, unlimited messaging, caller ID, voicemai and unlimited evenings and weekends from 7pm for $25mo: https://shop.koodomobile.com/plans/plans/index.html
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Does she want any other features of a smartphone or does she really just text and talk? I have a cell strictly for texting and emergency calls. The phone was $80 and has a full keyboard for easier typing. I have unlimited texting and 10 cents per minutes anytime calls for $20 per month and I add $5 for the calls which most of it is carried over to the next month anyway. It's through Virgin Mobile and includes voice mail and caller ID. You buy the cards through online debit so you don't need a credit card or to run to the store to refill.

Of course if she wants all the bell sand whistles of the Iphone it will cost more. I don't think they have any pay as you go plans either but not 100% sure.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

If she only wants basic usage out of a phone (ie using it as an actual phone) then don't bother with an iphone. If she wants a smartphone for apps, browsing etc, get an Android, not an iphone.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Yeah, echoing what others said - text & talk = pretty much every phone on the planet, these days. Save your money.
Your bias suits you.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

When I negotiated my iPhone 4 two years ago, I was…

1. tired of dealing with CDs in the car & home stereo,
2. already familiar with iTunes and the offspring’s iPod Touch interface,
3. wanting something I could use to track and map running, and getting it with a contract it was cheaper than buying my own iPod plus the Nike transmitter,
4. needing a new phone anyway,
5. already paying an old monthly plan that was ~$50 so my bill didn’t change much,
6. able to negotiate a package that I felt was good, and in comparison to current offers, it is damn good.

In the two years I’ve had my iPhone, my husband and offspring are on their second and third Android devices, respectively. Their current Androids are both made by HTC: a ‘One V’ and a ‘Status’, both of which were under $200 each. The One V is really quite nice and stable, I’m impressed, and the Status has a BB-style keyboard which makes for less glass to worry about a teen destroying after the 500 millionth drop.

What I learned: I use the iPhone as an internet access device far more often than I use it as a phone. We even use it with a household Gmail account to use as a shopping list, that way who ever is shopping just has to open up the list and see what’s on it. It is always ready to use, no waiting for start up, or anything like that. I’m not an app junkie, but I sure do like the ones I’ve gotten (free) this far.

What would I do differently? Realistically, our household needs 32GB of memory because we want more of our music library available on the go. I don’t trust the 4S or 5, and no 32GB iPhone 4’s are available on Telus any more. If I don’t like what I hear about the 2013 iPhone release by contract renewal time, I may opt for an Android, but that’s only because memory is expandable for a cheaper price. I don’t, however, relish the idea of having to learn something new or re-acquiring and learning a new inventory of apps I use regularly. I’m already saturated with learning new things due to other personal technology acquisitions and occupational technology and software updates/upgrades.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
bottleman
Fledgling

Post by bottleman »

I'd look at a used iphone 4 for what you want, lowest capacity will be fine unless you want to pack it full of thousands of songs. A new iphone can't be subsidized on a plan without data so you would probably be looking at $400-600 new. Just make sure the phone you buy is the version for your carrier or it is unlocked to work on any carrier, I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to do pay as you go.

If she wants to try out advanced features, like browsing or some apps just turn on the wifi so she can do it when at home(assuming you have wifi).
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

My daughter bought an Ipod Touch (4th gen.) with her birthday and Christmas money for about $180. She can message her friends and make Facetime "calls" via our home WiFi for free. You also have access to all the same apps as the phone version.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Does she use Skype on it?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

No just Facetime because her best friend has it too.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

You can use skype on ipod touch
soontoberetired
Fledgling

Post by soontoberetired »

I have had an Iphone 4s for over a year now. It has lived up to the hype. It is a marvelous piece of technological wizardry. I have come to depend on it. It is more than a phone!
If you cannot stay young, stay immature!

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”