SD23 Snow day

jo2002

SD23 Snow day

Post by jo2002 »

Just wondering how everyone's commute is taking their kids to school this morning? Are the school busses running late? I'm not seeing a plow or sandtruck anywhere up in these hills yet, so not risking wiping out taking my kids to school till then.....extended winter break. Yes, I drive safe and according to road conditions, and have good tires, it's the other drivers I'm concerned about. Safe travels everyone! :smt049
GardenMum
Board Meister

Re: SD23 Snow day

Post by GardenMum »

My kids are at OLOL, i called a snow day for them as well, One was thrilled, one wasn't :dyinglaughing: And I am the same as you, it's the other drivers who i am concerned about.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

just got home its now10.43 am and hwy 97 has not even been plowed yet from the bridge to hwy33 what a joke
honesrly how do these people keep there jobs
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Elective snow day?

It snowed 10-15cm. This is Canada. Rise to the occasion.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

SurplusElect wrote:Elective snow day?

It snowed 10-15cm. This is Canada. Rise to the occasion.

No kidding....I was in AB for more than 20 years and I can't remember one time the schools actually called a snow day...ever. The buses wouldn't run if it was below -35 with blowing snow conditions....but the town kids still had to go, and the rural kids if they could get a ride.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Call out the army, it's snowing in Westbank.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

The worst part of today for me was that it was Monday. Driving in the snow is fun.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I grew up in a community in the central interior that is as dry as Osoyoos on average, but even there we once had a snow day.

It was November of 1990, and a couple years before the telephone arrived to our area - meaning the only communication was by CB or radio phone (for those lucky enough to have it). We woke up in the morning to heavy snow. We figured there would be no school, but for some reason we talked my dad into driving us (it was a 15 km drive to the school). Four hours later we were barely half-way and struggling to get unstuck even with chains on the the truck. By the time we got to town the snow was 2 feet deep and counting. And it was the afternoon. The snow kept coming, so we stayed in the hotel for the night.

When it was all said and done, more than three feet of snow fell. The official weather stations reported up to 1 meter of snow. Everyone had to get their driveways plowed with bulldozers because the regular plow equipment couldn't handle the snow. I've never seen so much snow in one dump before or since.
Last edited by Glacier on Jan 7th, 2013, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Happytobehere
Fledgling

Post by Happytobehere »

I did all of my elementary and high school in Westbank in the 70s and 80s and never once were schools closed because of snow, and there were blizzards then that made today's snow look like a tea party.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

I well remember the 60's, 70's, 80's, and believe me there was not the traffic on the roads that there is today. I also know that driving in the snow even with regular tires was far easier than the light weight vehicles we have today.
rotti
Board Meister

Post by rotti »

We are raising a bunch of pansies and wimps if this weather is the new benchmark for a snow day. Unbelievable! Get the right tires, boots, hats and suck it up. In my day as a kid this was fun! The more snow the better. Snow forts, bumper hitching to get to school quicker and as soon as that bell would ring we were outside playing until mom called us in for dinner. We have to quit giving kids excuses to be little whiners and quitters. Life is not easy, suck it up and get to school.
southernfrau
Board Meister

Post by southernfrau »

We never got snow days and we walked to school in the deep stuff, slush, rain whatever. We had no school buses. And for highschool we walked 19 city blocks in all kinds of weather. Again no buses.... Back then girls weren't allowed to wear pants either. We wore a skirt over our pants or carried it to school and took the pants off at school. We used to throw snowballs also, that's not allowed anymore for fear someone will get hurt. All I can say to these kids now, is 'suck it up buttercup.'
Darlin06
Board Meister

Post by Darlin06 »

I can't agree more with you. This is absolutely nothing. I grew up in Edmonton where I'd see temperatures of -40 and there was never a snow day. If it was too cold, they would keep us in our classrooms or the gym for recess. That was it...And that was only when it was approaching -30.

I've only lived in West Kelowna for 2 years and this is nothing. Heck, what is it today, -2 maybe?? It certainly isn't cold and a little snow won't kill these kids.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." ~ Ann Landers
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Sounds more like the parents who don't want to go out in the snow...not the kids.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

janalta wrote:No kidding....I was in AB for more than 20 years and I can't remember one time the schools actually called a snow day...ever. The buses wouldn't run if it was below -35 with blowing snow conditions....but the town kids still had to go, and the rural kids if they could get a ride.

That's the one thing my kids fondly remember about Alberta...we lived in Lacombe for three years and I think they had at least three snow days per year. Usually it was because it was too cold for the buses.

Return to “Central Okanagan”