Restaurant draws controversy with a hostile help-wanted ad

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Restaurant draws controversy with a hostile help-wanted ad

Post by oneh2obabe »

A Hamilton restaurant that describes itself as “no place for the timid” has served up a rather hostile job advertisement.

Hillbilly Heaven owner Cameron Bailey took out some hostility on people who don’t show up for interviews when he posted an ad on Kijiji Thursday asking for servers and counter staff at the downtown location.

In rhetoric that has the undertones of Seinfeld’s “Soup Nazi,” Hillbilly Heaven took a shot at people on social assistance.

“We know that Ontario’s overly generous unemployment and OW (Ontario Works) systems make it seem pointless to accept a job but we want people that are better than that,” Bailey wrote. “It’s that simple.”

The southern barbecue restaurant, which serves pulled pork, ribs and sandwiches, warned job-seekers not to send a resumé — it will be deleted.

And don’t call — they won’t talk to you.

You have to show up in person at the 647 Upper James St., between 2 and 4 p.m. and be prepared for a 20-minute interview.

“We call to schedule interviews. Half of you don’t even bother to return the call,” the ad reads.

“We schedule interviews and 75 per cent of you don’t bother to show up for the interview.

“We offer the job and 30 per cent of you accept it and then don’t bother to show up for work on the first day.”

Judging from the response so far, it appears to be working, because well over 300 people have visited the advertisement and caused a media storm in Hamilton.

After his two-hour job fair Friday, Bailey said "only" 16 people showed up and he hired one person on the spot. That person had a wife and two kids, "so that part is a good news story," Bailey said.

“I am sure he is a very happy man. That’s what all this was about and I am happy that we could help him," said Bailey, who was looking to hire three staff.

The restaurant has been taken aback by the publicity the ad has generated.

Bailey tweeted this on Friday: “Media is blowin’ up over our job posting — on the radio 3 times today. Go figure, didn’t think calling a spade a spade was such a big deal.”

Bailey told the Toronto Star that the wording of the ad “may be a little harsh, but it made me happy.”

He said he pays well, with staff earning $10 an hour plus tips, which can come to about $600 for a 40-hour week.

“Once I know you’re good, I give you a lot more money, so you don’t leave,” he said.

Unconventional tactics are nothing new for the restaurant.

Bailey caused a stir last year when he posted a big sign by the cash register that said halal, rice, kabob, shawarma and other items are “things we don’t have and never will.”

On the door it said “to better serve you, our staff speaks ENGLISH.”

The restaurant is located in an area populated by many people of Middle Eastern descent.

Bailey told the Toronto Star that he makes no apologies for his attitude.

“This is my own country — we’re going to demand a few things around here. I don’t really care. Don’t try to intimidate me. We serve what we serve. Don’t yell at me and expect me to change that. Call me a racist all you like; it’s not going to change.”

Bailey poked fun at himself, too, over the ad’s venom.

“I just turned 50 and I guess I’m on my way to being a grumpy old man,” he said, laughing.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... -kijiji-ad
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Re: Restaurant draws controversy with a hostile help-wanted

Post by French Castanut »

Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I don't fool myself that this sort of thinking will ever disappear completely, but one can hope that common courtesy and respect will someday win out and at the very least these clowns will learn to keep their prejudices to themselves.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

yeah, best to ignore these type. I don't find this to funny. I wouldn't support this guy
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

I think it's a fair trade for a certain barbershop that's allowed to openly discriminate half the population.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
bigchef
Fledgling

Post by bigchef »

Good for this guy, minus the "English comment". People who really want jobs should get jobs. If you don't show up on your first day of work, or on day for that matter, you should be fired. Employers need to stop pandering to the whims of lazy people.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

-fluffy- wrote:but one can hope that common courtesy and respect will someday win out

That's a two way street. We don't know what all he's been through or culture clashes he's had to deal with. I don't have the right to go into Mc Donald's and demand spaghetti, or into a Chinese restaurant and ask for a donair. Nor should anyone else expect something that's not in his restaurant's type of food he's offering. Just common sense.

On the want ad, good for him! From my own experience with the lack of work ethic out there, I can't blame him. I don't blame him for calling a spade a spade. He still got himself an employee out of it and maybe saved himself some time in the process.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”