Back yard chickens

Captain77
Fledgling

Back yard chickens

Post by Captain77 »

Great to hear that Penticton Council is allowing back yard hens. A great way to get rid of compost, generate great fertilizer for the garden, and get little gifts in return.
livewire
Fledgling

Re: Back yard chickens

Post by livewire »

As long as they don't make as much noise as the neighbors dog! :sillygrin:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Some people here have chickens, how many is too many and how many do you need to have enough eggs for a family of two? Three?

Without going to the Kelowna chicken thread, are chickens allowed now within city limits too?

Congratulations to Penticton for forward thinking. :smt117
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Captain77
Fledgling

Post by Captain77 »

Penticton city staff is now looking into guidelines, but staff suggest no roosters and max. of 5. The kookey part is taking them to the SPCA when they stop laying as no culling would be permitted. SPCA's gonna love that one! Maybe a new business opportunity for a rural farmer to humanely dispose of the old birds?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The old fashioned days of knowing how to cut a chickens head off, drain the blood and pluck is gone. OH WAIT!

That's what youtube is for.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=16229

Penticton just needs to look at how Vernon is running their backyard chicken bylaws and do the same - simple, straight forward and logical. No need to waste a mess more tax dollars studying this topic to death.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

Supermarkets have not been around all that long. Before Supermarkets existed ... our food was gathered near our tables. Everyone had gardens or had access to fresh produce nearby. I think that allowing 5 back yard chickens is a great idea ... and I'll be planning a little chicken house of my own. There are some great ideas online. I do wonder if the deer will go after chickens .... or attract them (even more-so) to people's yards.
0gopogo
Fledgling

Post by 0gopogo »

Here's my young flock at Summerland.
Just started laying beautiful brown eggs, I got these hens recently from a lady by Yellow Lake.

The chickens I had before these stopped laying, so I put put an ad for free chickens and someone from Peachland took them for soup. In other words-they did the dirty work.

Here's a link to the chicken coop we built in town.....mostly from free wood at the dump. :sunshine:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yellowjackets-chicken-coop
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Yup ... I can see it now. First we had to deal with the deer problem, next it will be chickens. For anyone who has been to the Hawaian Island of Kuaii you know the problem they have with chickens. All it would take is a really good windstorm a few dozen chickens on the loose and WHAMmm ... you've got chickenville. :dyinglaughing:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=6170510

Relax ... I'm just kidding.
callotto
Fledgling

Post by callotto »

Victoria has allowed urban chicken for a hundred years. They aren't an issue.
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

I had the opportunity tonight of visiting with a Kelowna city councilor who said to me, thank goodness we have better things to discuss at our council meetings than whether or not we should allow chickens in our back yards.....
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

livewire wrote:I had the opportunity tonight of visiting with a Kelowna city councilor who said to me, thank goodness we have better things to discuss at our council meetings than whether or not we should allow chickens in our back yards.....

For now. People are just going to do it anyway if they really want them. There already are some urban hens in Kelowna.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Not to mention some pretty big roosters on council as well! :dyinglaughing:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

livewire wrote:I had the opportunity tonight of visiting with a Kelowna city councilor who said to me, thank goodness we have better things to discuss at our council meetings than whether or not we should allow chickens in our back yards.....

One could intreprete this a variety of ways. One way is to argue that because growing ones own bird meat and getting free range eggs could be argued is a poverty issue, the suits at Kelowna's City Hall are clueless over the real issue.

I mean, who has $5-7 dollars on an on going basis to purchase fresh, free run/range eggs? Who has money to purchase organic, non-factory processed chicken meat?

Why are the poor signalled out as having health issues? Or the most health issues? Or is it a rent vs food month?

That person on City Hall hasn't got a freaking handle on the real issue those people in long line ups for the foodbank, Salvation Army hampers and similar services. Imagine an army of citizens who could grow their own chickens/eggs and donate eggs to the foodbank. Now there is an issue worth bringing back to the council meetings, if only they'd lower themselves out of the idea that Kelowna is there only for rich developers.
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

Let me clarify....that person on Kelowna city council didn't say he was opposed to having chickens in backyards....

Return to “Central Okanagan”