Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

Post by Ken7 »

Veovis wrote:The way standard audits work though is that if the auditor comes across something that doesn't have ready back up or answers they make a note and then ask the appropriate people (controller/CEO/AP Clerk/financial officer) to answer those questions, and record the responses and answers.

When I get my audit done each year and the auditor always provides a list of queries they have, and then I answer them.

These auditors received the reply "I can't recall" for inquiries of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

You are correct that there must be some form of paper trail Ken, and you never know, it all may end up being legit, I doubt it, but until it is investigated (and it should be) we won't actually know.

Thanks, I realize that and therefore have said what I have. As for project... not too busy. People with signing authority, shouldn't be more then Chief and her manager.

Bank records would be audited and those number were most likely highlighted by date of transaction.

Is smells like ten day old fish soup to me!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

wolfen_one wrote:Quote from Gramma........I bet if you were a FN person, you might not think the same. You might think the government/crown should uphold their end of the legally binding agreements. It's very easy to blow it off when you are white and in control of these people, eh?

How do you know who is white or not on this or any other forum? I have friends and family members who are First Nations. Some have status,some live on reserves, some do not. Not all "white" people are against native people. Colour should mean nothing when YOU are talking equality.

One more tidbit for you Granny.......I have never,am not,or will ever be "in control of these people"

I never said anyone in particular was native or not. Stop reading your own indignation into my words, please.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Rwede wrote:The difference is that Kelowna actually supports its people with its budget, but her band does nothing of the sort. That's the exacerbating side to it all, the huge per capita budgeting variance between the two notwithstanding.

Not to mention her huge house while "her people" live in shacks, her over the top salary for managing such a tiny band, $1,000,000 in vehicles, $40M in buildings, and $34M in funding.

Thievery at its finest.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I dunno about a huge house, CA - she lives in the former jail building. Her salary and honouraria were $69,579.

http://www.attawapiskat.org/wp-content/ ... itures.pdf
__________________________________________________________________________________________

wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

I never said anyone in particular was native or not. Stop reading your own indignation into my words, please.[/quote]

I was just reading what you wrote.....blanketing the goverment and whites as racist. My indignation has nothing to do with it. If you don't want it read...don't write it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

wolfen_one wrote:
I was just reading what you wrote.....blanketing the goverment and whites as racist. My indignation has nothing to do with it. If you don't want it read...don't write it.

Then you must have missed the word "if". And I do think the governments and the majority of whites in Canada are racist where native issues are concerned. Don't you?

Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

grammafreddy wrote:Yeah, I know - the atrocities just keep adding up, don't they? Government after government over all this time just kept it up without dealing with it openly and fairly. From killing off the buffalo, moving the people to reserves, taking their children away from them, and on and on ... the government has controlled every aspect of their lives for generations and blackmailed the people into compliance. Even with all this "free money", the government continues to control them in bureaucratic ways when many of the reserves are unable to comply with the onerous demands of government paperwork and ever-changing rules and policies.

It is time to move on - but until government actually allows it - in open and honest dialogue with the FN people AND with the people of Canada, it isn't going to happen.

It isn't going to happen while there is corruption on both sides, either. The government bureaucrats have built their empires and they probably won't let them go easily and will fight to keep them. They are the ones advising the politicians in Ottawa. The AFN and their member chiefs have done the same on many of the reserves.

So many of today's natives are people "in between" - they aren't the old Indians of the past and they don't fit the mold of standard Canadians, either. There is a lot of racial prejudice against them.

I don't have the answers but I do know we can't continue the path of destruction we have been on - and neither can they. Maybe its time to talk to the people and see what they want for their futures - without their chiefs and band councilors present. Maybe its time to honour those treaties.

Get rid if the Indian Act, problem solved. It is the Indian Act that suppresses the First Nations and it gives the govt the power to do so. If we are all equal recieve equal funding then all is fair and no one can complain.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Just a reminder not to get into personal attacks. Things can get heated quickly. Thanks.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Libelle wrote:
Get rid if the Indian Act, problem solved. It is the Indian Act that suppresses the First Nations and it gives the govt the power to do so. If we are all equal recieve equal funding then all is fair and no one can complain.

Hmmmm .... interesting idea. I'll go find the Indian Act ...

eMeM
Übergod

Post by eMeM »

I see a lot of racism on both sides, GF and it's frightening. Not here neccessarily but elsewhere online that I've been reading.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

[quote="grammafreddy"]http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/12/08/spending-money-to-sort-out-the-money/

[quote]The third-party auditor will cost Attawapiskat about $1,300 per day.

Aboriginal Affairs officials told The Canadian Press they have an agreement to pay Jacques Marion of BDO Canada LLP a total of $180,000 to look after the reserve’s accounts from now until June 30. The money comes from the Attawapiskat First Nation’s budget. That rate over the course of a year would run up to $300,000 and easily pay for at least one nice, solid house, notes Mushkegowuk Grand Chief Stan Louttit.

At least that money (which is quite a lot) would be put to good use and just not be written off as some unknown expense like the tens of thousands of dollars that all ready is. Chief Stan Loutit states that that money would pay for one nice house, to which I would say so would all the money wasted on unknown expenses. As well instead of holding a bingo rally for a ice resurfacer maybe hold a rally for money to go to repairs. Besides that hockey equipment is very expensive and something that one can not afford if their house is falling apart.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

eMeM wrote:I see a lot of racism on both sides, GF and it's frightening. Not here neccessarily but elsewhere online that I've been reading.

Good Lord in Heaven. Racism you say? Where? Provide links if you would be so kind.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

What treaty agreements is Ms.Spence wanting the govt to uphold? Hope those treaties do not concern more land as she has done a bang up job concerning the land that she already "manages".
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

you guy s still bean counting .the people we are dealing with are not the people who were in residential schools ,this is the first generation of native peoples who are just as educated and coming close to being treated equal ,as one poster referred to Shawn Atleo as a "smart Indian",well their s a whole bunch of" smart indians"now they have watched how their parents have lived and have been treated in the past and they are angry they listened to steve apologize with out making amends .This movement is growing the young are awakening the old,now watch shawn scramble under public pressure,he wasn't expecting it fell in his lap and has to talk tough .steves gonna smoke the big peace pipe now and pull the rug out from under them in the haze.you may return to your previously scheduled discussion on soup diet spences budget. :runforlife:
Peace be with you.

Return to “Canada”