The evils of Facebook....

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: The evils of Facebook....

Post by Bpeep »

Queen K wrote:Put up your hand if you are mighty glad you did not fall for the facebook IPO hype.

Both hands up! I shoulda bought it on the downside tho, and I knew better. Coulda scored.
Shoulda bought BP on the upside when it tanked during the gulf spill.
It was so undervalued it was sick.
Shoulda
Woulda
Coulda

<<off to eat some cookies>>
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

fbmonalisa.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

very strange hand on that photoshop....ya, the whole thing is strange...but not evil really.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

Hahaha looks like that Octomom thingy
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Well it had to happen.

I'm on FB a lot lately, exploring the profiles of areas and ideas mostly and I found a fungi site that accepts photographs of mushrooms. So I post a few. And days later this guy shows up asking to friend me. Turns out he's added me to a private mushroom information/photography group but wanted to make sure I was genuine. Fair enough.

Now here's the problem. It's not that he's in India. No problem with that, his "like" list includes many groups to save wildlife, habitat and IT technological sites well beyond me. But I found an imagine of an American flag, filled with shoes stomping on it with blood spilled on it. It's all photoshopped, "death to America" kind of stuff. I don't happen to agree with that and am concerned about having my name there.

What would you all do? Defriend instantly? Try to talk about it? Ask if he's serious? What?

I'm not even saying everyone has to agree on issues, heck, my fb bunch and I don't agree on gun control issues, but we don't defriend over it.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Was the anti-American image on his profile, or was it the image for something he "likes"? Unless you also like that group, your name won't be part of it. Or are you worried that you'll be seen by some as guilty by association, just for being FB friends with him?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Too me it's a little like being on someones list of 450 "friends" but then that person gets busted for herion dealing/gun smuggling and who knows what else. What do a lot of people do? Check out the fb profile and then search the friend list.

Did Emily really know whom she "friended" when her list is well past 545?

I saw a lot of "death to America stuff" mostly in those photos he's liked. But I also see some stuff we have in common, can you believe a dislike for cigarettes? I want to share some of his stuff to my page, but it's forever going to be associated with radical messages, the link will be there.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

There isn't any way to carry on a FB friendship with this person and not be associated with him in that way. It wouldn't bother me personally, but if being friends with this fellow makes you uncomfortable in any way, I'd say don't do it.

As for whether he's serious about the anti-American stuff, if what I've seen and heard from that part of the world, I doubt he's joking. There is very little love for America in the middle east and western Asia, and frankly I think it's well-deserved. Of course, there's a big difference between liking a photo with anti-American sentiment, and actually being in favour of committing evil acts. Heck, in 2013, is hating America even a radical view?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I might have over 400 Facebook friends (friends, former coworkers from my younger days, family, etc.) but I could never imagine adding anyone who I've not met in person.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I used to think that about Castanet, I can chat here but meet up? Omigod no! But I have.

For me it's all about calculated risk, and not putting stuff on your fb that should not be there.

"Going to Vancouver Island for a week!" (you know who you are.)

Where you work. I HATE that. Never put that there.
"I just bought a new rental!" Duuuhhh.
"Look at my lastest photography gear!" Ummm.

And on and on.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I'm not wearing any pants.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I don't think there is anything wrong with stating that you're going to Victoria or Vegas on Facebook. In many (most?) cases the person would have to be a direct friend. Like someone is going to travel 3 hours to visit your house without knowing for sure that no one is indeed home.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Seriously it's a wonderful tool for keeping in touch, networking, all that sort of stuff, as long as one is realistic about the potential for abuse that is out there and takes steps to insulate your position. It's fun, just keep it that way, and don't say anything that you don't want the whole world to hear.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Just like in real life, there are more than a few oddballs out there. I'm always a little leery of a friend request from a friend of a friend that I don't know, especially when that person is sporting a current friend list that rivals the Vancouver white pages. Collectors. Like having a thousand FB friends that you don't know is some sort of social accomplishment?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

-fluffy- wrote:I'm not wearing any pants.

But would you post that on facebook? Here okay, but on facebook? What if you mom was your "friend"?

Return to “Social Concerns”