What is the best? Brushing? Flossing? or Fluoride?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

What is the best? Brushing? Flossing? or Fluoride?

Post by Thinktank »

Can you give us some advice about prevention?

The only scientific way to prevent tooth decay is through diet and nutrition. Dr. Ralph Steinman did some outstanding, landmark research at Loma Linda University. He injected a glucose solution into mice - into their bodies, so the glucose didn't even touch their teeth. Then he observed the teeth for any changes. What he found was truly astonishing. The glucose reversed the normal flow of fluid in the dentin tubules, resulting in all of the test animals developing severe tooth decay! Dr. Steinman demonstrated dramatically what I said a minute ago: Dental caries reflect systemic illness.

What a fascinating concept. Can you tell us more about the protective nutrition you mentioned?

Yes. Dr. Price traveled all over the world doing his research on primitive peoples who still lived in their native ways. He found fourteen cultural pockets scattered all over the globe where the natives had no access to "civilization" - and ate no refined foods.

Dr. Price studied their diets carefully. He found they varied greatly, but the one thing they had in common was that they ate whole, unrefined foods. With absolutely no access to tooth brushes, floss, fluoridated water or tooth paste, the primitive peoples studied were almost 100% free of tooth decay. Further - and not unrelated - they were also almost 100% free of all the degenerative diseases we suffer - problems with the heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, joints, skin (allergies), and the whole gamut of illnesses that plague Mankind. No one food proved to be magic as a preventive food. I believe we can thrive best by eating a wide variety of whole foods.

http://foodmatters.tv/articles-1/root-c ... up-exposed
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: What is the best? Brushing? Flossing? or Flouride?

Post by Liquidnails »

I believe regular brushing and flossing is probably the single best way to avoid tooth decay. Especially since we all have *bleep* diets. I'm not convinced Fluoride is necessary. I haven't had a cavity since I lost all my baby teeth and hope to keep it that way.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Studies showed communities with a higher level of flouride in their drinking water had a lower incident of teeth decay. With proper brushing and flossing (both are best used), extra flouride probably isn't required but it does help to protect the tooth enamel. Our teeth should last a lifetime if properly maintained.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Thinktank wrote:Can you give us some advice about prevention?

The only scientific way to prevent tooth decay is through diet and nutrition. Dr. Ralph Steinman did some outstanding, landmark research at Loma Linda University. He injected a glucose solution into mice - into their bodies, so the glucose didn't even touch their teeth. Then he observed the teeth for any changes. What he found was truly astonishing. The glucose reversed the normal flow of fluid in the dentin tubules, resulting in all of the test animals developing severe tooth decay! Dr. Steinman demonstrated dramatically what I said a minute ago: Dental caries reflect systemic illness.

What a fascinating concept. Can you tell us more about the protective nutrition you mentioned?

Yes. Dr. Price traveled all over the world doing his research on primitive peoples who still lived in their native ways. He found fourteen cultural pockets scattered all over the globe where the natives had no access to "civilization" - and ate no refined foods.

Dr. Price studied their diets carefully. He found they varied greatly, but the one thing they had in common was that they ate whole, unrefined foods. With absolutely no access to tooth brushes, floss, fluoridated water or tooth paste, the primitive peoples studied were almost 100% free of tooth decay. Further - and not unrelated - they were also almost 100% free of all the degenerative diseases we suffer - problems with the heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, joints, skin (allergies), and the whole gamut of illnesses that plague Mankind. No one food proved to be magic as a preventive food. I believe we can thrive best by eating a wide variety of whole foods.

http://foodmatters.tv/articles-1/root-c ... up-exposed

Fluoride is naturally occuring in some water supplies. This can make a great difference to the general dental health of a population. There is also genetics. Primitive cultures have ways of cleaning their teeth such as chewing on sticks.
It is not only diet that makes a difference.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I heard using mouth wash like Listerine is a pointless exercise.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
rutland1
Board Meister

Post by rutland1 »

But I suppose if it makes you feel better, then it's ok.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Captain Awesome wrote:I heard using mouth wash like Listerine is a pointless exercise.

And I heard it's a great antiseptic - makes one go "hmmm".
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

With absolutely no access to tooth brushes, floss, fluoridated water or tooth paste, the primitive peoples studied were almost 100% free of tooth decay.

With absolutely no access to tooth brushes, floss, fluoridated water or tooth paste, the primitive peoples studied were almost 100% free of tooth decay.

I wonder if we will ever be as smart, in the future, as the primitive people.

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Probably because they had little or no sugar in their diet.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Bsuds wrote:Probably because they had little or no sugar in their diet.

Plus - we like stuff that comes in a package. We should be eating whole, pure, natural foods.

Will we ever be as smart as the primitive people? Probably not.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The question didn't have anything to do with diet.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

In a round about way it does because our diet is causing tooth decay in the first place.
If it wasn't for that then tooth hygiene wouldn't be as imperative.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I suppose - in a real roundabout way. What is the best? Depends on the diet then. Brushing to start, flossing to get rid of any gooey stuff. The study include the ages of these primitive people? People live longer these days so chances are enamel on the teeth will only last as long as it's cared for properly and may deteriorate over a longer period of time.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

In fact, Price never claimed that tooth decay was simply a result of modern foods. Quite to the contrary, he wrote the following: "I am frequently reminded that ancient skulls are often found with extensive dental caries, thus disproving that the primitive groups were more free from dental caries than modern groups. It must be kept in mind that the fundamental laws of Nature have been in operation as long as animals and men have been on earth" (p. 297). Indeed, the modern scientific literature corroborates the view that tooth decay is an ancient process.

TOOTH DECAY IS ANCIENT
Hunter-gatherers of the Archaic Period (approximately 8,000-1,000 BC) in the lower Pecos region of Texas, for example, had rampant tooth decay and other forms of dental degeneration. Evidence documented in recent literature suggests that by age twenty-five, these people had lost virtually all of their molars, and that almost everyone had lost all of their teeth by age forty. Some investigators believe that this resulted from wear and tear caused by the consumption of calcium oxalate crystals in cactus and agave.2 Whatever the cause, we clearly do not require modern industrial foods to suffer rampant dental wear and decay.

http://www.westonaprice.org/notes-from- ... ive-wisdom
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So that kind of says it related to the diet as well. Just not as cut and dried as Thinktank would like us to believe.

Return to “Health”