Kelowna worst in Canada for drunk driving rates

Tero
Board Meister

Re: Kelowna worst in Canada for drunk driving rates

Post by Tero »

Fancy wrote:If Kelowna is the worst for drunk driving rates, what can be done other than stiffer penalties? I see no other viable solution.

I"m a pretty huge fan of the RCMP sitting right outside the exit from the bars. Sure, this is absolutlely babysitting and feels like a HUGE waste of important resources, but if people are seriously that feeble minded in 2013 that they still think that drinking and driving is ok, then that's what needs to be done. Sad, but true.

Unfortunately, some will call this "entrapment" and we'll spend (waste) millions in court fees from people trying to beat valid charges. Boo hoo, poor me. The cop saw me leave the bar, get in my car, drive away, and then I was stopped and blew over the legal limit. Poor me, I was set up.

I love stiffer penalties. I'd like to see licenses lost with first offenses and huge fines. It's done in other places in the world. We're just far too nice and forgving here in Canada. As someone who's parents were hit (and very badly injured) by a drunk driver in the late 80's, I just am not that forgiving. Oh, and the guy who hit my parents? That was his 6th drunk driving charge. He still didn't lose his license.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

The cop saw me leave the bar, get in my car, drive away, and then I was stopped and blew over the legal limit. Poor me, I was set up.

If the cop was inside buying you drinks, you may have a case. Otherwise, TOUGH LUCK!

I completely agree Tero, how the heck is it entrapment when you CHOSE to drink and then drive? Thinking there wouldn't be a cop on the road?
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Tero wrote:I love stiffer penalties. I'd like to see licenses lost with first offenses and huge fines. It's done in other places in the world. We're just far too nice and forgving here in Canada.

It is indeed the only way anyone would ever learn. People might still drive without a license though but huge fines would hurt the pocket book. Maybe adding to that also is an ignition interlock device in their car. Slap on the wrist just doesn't cut it.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I"m a pretty huge fan of the RCMP sitting right outside the exit from the bars.

I'm a HUGE fan of cops sitting RIGHT INSIDE bar parking lots....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

While they sit and lounge outside of pubs and bars, other skids are enjoying less police presence stealing cars and sexually assaulting women. Pretty sure Kelowna is high on the list in those categories too right?
Sure do love Rutland!!
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

phasyluck wrote:While they sit and lounge outside of pubs and bars, other skids are enjoying less police presence stealing cars and sexually assaulting women. Pretty sure Kelowna is high on the list in those categories too right?

Ya, because ALL 25 cars that are on the road in Kelowna at any given time are ALL sitting in bar parking lots..
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Ya, because ALL 25 cars that are on the road in Kelowna at any given time are ALL sitting in bar parking lots..

Are they really KL ???

Or are you ready to admit that "shooting fish in a barrell" doesn't really serve the best interests of the public as a whole ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I think (I think) he was saying it sarcastically...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I know Capt......I know.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Well I guess 25 cars should be simple enough to keep track of then.
Sure do love Rutland!!
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Phasy, seriously? You think because there are a COUPLE patrol cars watching for drunks leaving bars, that there are sexual predators getting away with things DIRECTLY BECAUSE police are watching for drunks leaving bars?

SERIOUSLY?

Remove head from *bleep*, please!
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

It only takes one incident to be missed in my opinion, so yes I DO believe it is very plausible.
Sure do love Rutland!!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

phasyluck wrote:While they sit and lounge outside of pubs and bars, other skids are enjoying less police presence stealing cars and sexually assaulting women. Pretty sure Kelowna is high on the list in those categories too right?

Maybe they should be sitting and lounging where cars are stolen and women are sexually assaulted, where ever that is.

It makes sense to me that if a cop has to be somewhere waiting for the dispatcher to call, they might as well be somewhere that might just yield a chance to take another drunk off the road.

So, given that Kelowna has the distinction of being number one in Canada for drunk driving charges, do you think it's because Kelowna has the most drinking drivers or is it that cops in other towns are letting more get away with it?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

phasyluck wrote:While they sit and lounge outside of pubs and bars, other skids are enjoying less police presence stealing cars and sexually assaulting women.

So you know exactly how many police vehicles should be outside pubs and bars, and exactly how many should be looking for random stealing cars and even less random sexually assaulting women?
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

-fluffy- wrote:
Maybe they should be sitting and lounging where cars are stolen and women are sexually assaulted, where ever that is.

Usually happens outside bars & pubs, actually!!!

Return to “Central Okanagan”