New toy: Pesonal weather station

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

New toy: Pesonal weather station

Post by oneh2obabe »

A Netatmo urban weather station is displayed at the opening press event of the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas January 6, 2013. The personal indoor and outdoor weather station monitors a variety of conditions and sends the information to your wireless device. The $179 system is available online and is expected in retail stores in a few months.

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Re: New toy: Pesonal weather station

Post by StraitTalk »

AH! That is so cool. I wish I could justify spending $200 on it but still, would love to have that. Give it 5 years and our phones will do it for us, and they'll all communicate with each other in real-time, constantly changing forecasts between millions of mini-climates. Oh one can dream...
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Just curious as to why you would need the info sent to your phone? To me that seems useless and just another gimmick.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I wouldn't waste my money on that thing. Rather, I'd buy this popular little unit... http://www.forthebirdsnatureshop.ca/dav ... d-sensors/
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Bsuds wrote:Just curious as to why you would need the info sent to your phone? To me that seems useless and just another gimmick.

There are some who would benefit from such information. Also, some people just have weird hobbies.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

StraitTalk wrote: Also, some people just have weird hobbies.

Like Castanet? :dyinglaughing:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Bsuds wrote:
Like Castanet? :dyinglaughing:

:sillygrin:
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Glacier wrote:I wouldn't waste my money on that thing. Rather, I'd buy this popular little unit... http://www.forthebirdsnatureshop.ca/dav ... d-sensors/

$956 and they don't supply the mounting pole?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Ah, but you can make your own pole.

You get what you pay for. In the case of the Netatmo urban weather station, you are paying for pretty looks, whereas the Davis personal weather station costs what it does because of functionality and accuracy.

$1,000 is a pretty good price for what you get... I only wish I could afford the $7,500 price tag of the WeatherHawk... http://www.cepro.com/article/print/weat ... ures_snow/
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Damn, all I do is look out the window to see what Mother Nature is throwing at us and dress accordingly.

Do you know what kind of stove I could buy with $7,500?

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”