Abandoned Greyhound bus

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Abandoned greyhound bus

Post by Fancy »

theyeti wrote:i dont think he woulda been in trouble . his shift was over . greyhound would have been to blame . or maybe whoever stole the bus so to speak.

No, the driver was clearly to blame according to policy.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

i realize ethically and moraly and maybe according to company policy he was supposed to stay . however if he was quitting (as was alluded to by another poster) he dont work there anymore so whats really holding him to there policy if he got fed up and quit . see what i mean ?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

theyeti wrote:i realize ethically and moraly and maybe according to company policy he was supposed to stay . however if he was quitting (as was alluded to by another poster) he dont work there anymore so whats really holding him to there policy if he got fed up and quit . see what i mean ?

Speculation doesn't make it fact. The driver was required to stay until relieved - doesn't say much for his integrity.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

i agree he seems like a puddle of a man to me as well . but im thinking legally if he could have been held accountable had he said he quit . im not sure . say a cougar or a bear made its way onto the bus .. or some other horrible event had happened .
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

At this point he was held accountable - he was fired.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Is a company responsible for how its employees' treat their customers? Greyhound hired him. Greyhound has "rules in place" (or rather doesn't) - to prevent this from happening.

The driver didn't commit a crime, he walked away when his shift was done. If he assaulted or robbed someone I could say the behavior was a deviance away from "employment behavior", but this is just poor policy and hiring/retention.

Greyhound said "they need to check to see if he was driving too long".

...they don't know how long the driver was on the road for....? Talk about pass the buck!

Look at the Airline Pilot who crashed his plane in the Hudson river. He went in front of Congress and said "If you don't start paying pilots better, people will die because nobody with my level of skill and responsibility will effectively do this job for 35,000 a year - all the good pilots have left this career path" His take home pay was eroded 60% from when he started.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

he walked away when his shift was done
Which he wasn't suppose to do until a relief driver arrived.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I guess sitting in a comfy bus waiting for the other driver to show up was too much work for him. Hope he never gets another job - and I don't think anybody wants this guy ...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Chances are slim to be picked up by another bus company knowing he won't follow policy. Wouldn't he have had an emergency number to call in the event of a bus breakdown?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

SurplusElect wrote:The driver didn't commit a crime, he walked away when his shift was done.

Typical stupid type of defensive statement I've come to expect from the union cheer leading section.

If you don't have the smarts to see that this guy blew it big time, anything else you say isn't worth the energy it takes to post it.

There are jobs out there that come with responsibilities, a bus driver in charge of a load of passengers being a prime example, and regardless of what issue he may or may not have with his employer, (or whatever imagined creative scenario you want to conjure up for dramatic effect) the way he opted to deal with it was a major fail, and about as far from professional conduct as one can possibly get.

To be defending this person goes far in demonstrating where your mind and priorities are at. To heck with any concern for human life and safety, so long as you can make a statement to that horrible company doling out your pay check. Right, we need many more like you.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
Typical stupid type of defensive statement I've come to expect from the union cheer leading section.

If you don't have the smarts to see that this guy blew it big time, anything else you say isn't worth the energy it takes to post it.

There are jobs out there that come with responsibilities, a bus driver in charge of a load of passengers being a prime example, and regardless of what issue he may or may not have with his employer, (or whatever imagined creative scenario you want to conjure up for dramatic effect) the way he opted to deal with it was a major fail, and about as far from professional conduct as one can possibly get.

To be defending this person goes far in demonstrating where your mind and priorities are at. To heck with any concern for human life and safety, so long as you can make a statement to that horrible company doling out your pay check. Right, we need many more like you.

No kidding. I wonder how surpluseffect would react to the day care worker leaving his kids alone when her shift was over and the replacement hadn't showed up yet. BTW surp, there were children and seniors on that bus and I think you would be singing a different tune if they were your family. Then again, you would probably try to file a grievance with someone because it would have been Greyhound that failed in their duty of care as a result of the poor wages bus drivers make.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

twobits wrote:No kidding. I wonder how surpluseffect would react to the day care worker leaving his kids alone when her shift was over and the replacement hadn't showed up yet. BTW surp, there were children and seniors on that bus and I think you would be singing a different tune if they were your family.

When the a corporation pays their CEO 15,000.000 a year, they say they are paying for "quality leadership/employee".

When you pay a bus driver 17 dollars a hour, make them responsible for 40+ peoples lives on snowy mountain passes within a system that might potentially make a worker wait 4 hours longer after his shift was scheduled to end - you get what you pay for.

Maybe the bus driver has a kid and needed to pick them up. Maybe the bus-driver's wife was ill. Maybe he was ill. Maybe he was scheduled to drive again in another 8 hours. Who knows? Everyone's whining about the poor passengers - the bus driver has a life too. Most people get off work at 5pm. Now picture your day ending at 9pm instead - with no planning or notice. Not a "small inconvenience".

The company should have a system in place to prevent a worker from being held up for 4 hours ( or prevent someone from showing up 4 hours late) after working a 8 hour shift and it was up to the lowest end worker to hold up a entire companies reputation - for 17 dollars a hour!

He had a choice. Sit on a bus for 4 hours after your shift ends because the company dropped the ball for 17 dollars a hour and fading fast benefits - or find a better job. Given there isn't a wait list to be a bus driver and instead there is a high turnover rate @ Greyhound, its safe to say the job was not worth it and he made his choice.

If my daycare worker "walked away" and they were being paid low, low wages - would I be surprised? Nope.

We pay millions to top end employees for "integrity", but we seem to expect it for free/low wages on the low end of things, lol.
Last edited by SurplusElect on Jan 15th, 2013, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The bus driver could have made a call but didn't and let everyone down.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Fancy wrote:The bus driver could have made a call but didn't and let everyone down.

Again, for 17 a hour why would he?

There should have been a supervisor or Greyhound should have been checking. Autonomous 17/hr employees and you don't expect a problem?

Then again they couldn't even say how many hours their EMPLOYEE was driving for, so most likely Greyhound is a poop-show of a operation.

Also - nobody on the bus had a cell phone? They all just sat there like cattle? After a hour went by - who did what?
Last edited by SurplusElect on Jan 15th, 2013, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

^^ Your employer must be thrilled to tears, to have someone with your selflessness, and charm, on the payroll. :dyinglaughing:
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"

Return to “B.C.”