Kelowna Rioter

goatboy
Guru

Kelowna Rioter

Post by goatboy »

Kelowna Rioter won't spend time in jail.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-85994-1-.htm#85994

I love this quote:

Kim did not say anything in court Wednesday, but during his sentencing hearing Kim said he no longer expects to be accepted at a medical school because of his criminal record, so he plans to become a lawyer instead.

You need to have some ethics and be of good character to become a doctor, but lawyers, meh?
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Re: Kelowna Rioter

Post by Takin it easy ! »

Fitting career choice I would think !
goalie
Übergod

Post by goalie »

THUG LIFE.
He'll make a great Lawyer. One day he could even sue the Courts for destroying his Medical Career.
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

Seems we are all of the same view. I wondered at the statement also. Was it a backhanded plea to remove a criminal record perhaps? I was sort of surprised to discover that he doesn't appear to be one of the "rich landed students".
Last edited by watchkat on Jan 17th, 2013, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Actually we are not all of the same view. First, we don't actually know if this young adult still can't become a doctor. Maybe this expereince gave him a view of law that he'd never had before and his interest developed from that!
All professions have guidelines to adjudicate certain criminal records. What is difficult for those entering the medical profession is that there is close involvement with extremely vulnerable people. For example, convictions related to violence and sexual assault may close the door in some professions but a conviction for a B & E at age 18 may not be a hinderance when the individuals entire history is considered. Those seeking the services of a lawyer are not as vulnerable as some that medical staff, teachers and social workers have access to.
Also, I am acquainted with quite a few lawyers in Kelowna. I have found them to be solid citizens who bring many postive things to the community. I have found them to be appropriate advocates for their clients.
Yes, there are a few bad apples in every bin...just like in every other line of work.

As an aside, the headline and title of this thread are misleading. This young man's home is in the Lower Mainland. He is only here attending UBC-O. (I think it would be fairer to call him a "UBC Rioter", than a "Kelowna Rioter"! Really he should just be called a "Rioter". Where he is from is moot.) :)
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

Piecemaker wrote:Also, I am acquainted with quite a few lawyers in Kelowna. I have found them to be solid citizens who bring many postive things to the community. I have found them to be appropriate advocates for their clients.
Yes, there are a few bad apples in every bin...just like in every other line of work.

LOL you need ask around, find out what types of business these lawyers get involved in, and who they work for and with, and on what type of things. Very interesting.....

Kim = just another life fail loser waste of skin
AB oil patch worker
Sunshine Tax Rebate recipient
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I am disgusted with our legal systems behaviour. The rioters caused a huge amount of damage, it cost a huge amount of money to repair, and cost much more for all the dragged out legal process. To have him sit at home for a few months does nothing to reimburse the public for the loss. A $ 10,000 fine would be far more appropriate. :purefury:
Black Dogs Matter
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

The judge also banned Kim from consuming alcohol or being in bars and ordered him to do 100 hours of community service and make restitution for the vehicles he helped damage during the riot.

not that i agree with the sentence the judge gave...should have served jail time...but not surprised at the leniency .
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Thanks Logi, missed that.
Black Dogs Matter
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Kelowna representing!! I wonder how many other fine outstanding citizens from here were involved and just not caught? This guy can get a 100 percent pardon before he becomes a doctor if he wishes to pursue it still.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

A pardon does not actually "erase" one's criminal record. Those entering certain professions also have their history checked for pardons.

We don't know that this young man is a "waste of skin". He might actually go on in life to contribute in a postive way to society. He is, however, responsible for his actions and being required to complete community services hours and make some financial restitution is better for all of us than having the taxpayers cover the cost of him sitting in jail.
Let's hope his time as a defendant is only once.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

My pardon was completely erased 100 percent it doesn't exist anymore
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

Piecemaker wrote:. We don't know that this young man is a "waste of skin".

Another bleeding heart fluffy washed out LIberal.

Based on known facts - what he has done, and been convicted of - he is a fail. A loser. A waste of skin. Maybe he can redeem himself, who knows? Who cares, just another Kelowna loser. But everyone wants to make excuses and rationalise his errant ways and give him a hug.
AB oil patch worker
Sunshine Tax Rebate recipient
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Depends on the nature of the crime and what the criminal record check is for.I believe a complete check will also show whether or not someone has had a pardon, at least in certain instances. There have been some changes in recent years and I am no longer having to review criminal records through the course of my work, so I could be incorrect with some of my statements. I think there may be some offenses now that one can never receive a pardon for. Anyone know?
If the "Kelowna Rioter" seeks a pardon in future, it probably will come off his record and he will technically have no criminal record.
I think the pardon system is a good one. There are lots of people who have applied for one, often because of something "stupid" done in their young adult or partying days. They shouldn't have to carry that around their entire lives.
I also think that there is a difference between a 20 year old "rioter" and a 40 year old one. Whether we like to acknowledge it or not certain areas of the brain have not reached maturity by age 18, which is when legal adulthood arrives in the justice system. (Yes, in some cases...maturity is never reached...but that's for different reasons!) :)
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Piecemaker wrote:. We don't know that this young man is a "waste of skin".

joer2012 wrote:Another bleeding heart fluffy washed out LIberal.

Based on known facts - what he has done, and been convicted of - he is a fail. A loser. A waste of skin. Maybe he can redeem himself, who knows? Who cares, just another Kelowna loser. But everyone wants to make excuses and rationalise his errant ways and give him a hug.

Thanks for you good evaluation of me...well...except for the hug part. :133:

Return to “Central Okanagan”