deleted

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Responding to open racism

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank, I believe there's been reports of racial crimes right here in BC in the not so distance past.

http://www.vancouverobserver.com/politi ... nce-police

http://www.justicebc.ca/en/cjis/reporti ... crime.html

Apathy and tolerance of slurs is a problem.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

then 100% of us are racists. So it's no big deal.

All I can say is :ohmygod: delusional attitude IMO
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

I wonder if Robert Dziekanski was a victim of a hate crime
since he is a recognizable group because obviously he speaks an
eastern european language?

How could anyone prove it?
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Seems you are the only one that thinks that.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Thinktank wrote:I've never seen any racist intolerance in all my life in Canada.

Then you need to get out more.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:so good to see this thread come back to life. i suspect the OP has long since abandoned it but the issue is still very relevant.
the Idle No More movement has certainly brought some horrid stereotypes and attitudes to the fore.

You mean like this? http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/01/11 ... e-protest/

i personally find some common terms to be particularly offensive, 'indian' for one, in reference to first nations or aboriginal persons. a term based on the mistake of a european that didn't know where on earth he was over 500 years ago but it still seems to be accepted today. calling indians 'east indians' whether they are from gujarat, manipur or anywhere in between.

They don't find the term offensive, so it's hard to call it racism.
http://www.indianlakesgolfcourse.com/
They say you can't believe everything they say.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

then 100% of us are racists. So it's no big deal.

theres your simple solution.just say anything you like,and ignore everything you dont.
Peace be with you.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

So Canadian police services reported 1,401 hate crimes in 2010.

most hate crimes are done by young people age 12 - 24.

And 60% of hate crimes are 'mischief.' Yet, we hear a lot about hate crimes all the time as if it's a big deal.
I wonder how they can determine that one criminal beat the hell out of a guy, and it was motivated by hatred of the guy's
ethnicity, and another criminal beat the hell out of a guy, and it wasn't motivated by hatred. Who is the one who determines what kind of hatred a criminal has? Lawyers? That's a joke. And how do they determine it?

Young people in Canada, age 12 - 17 do more hate crimes than all the other people age 35 and over.
But it's the older people who supposedly teach their kids to be racists - so it doesn't make sense.
Old people never do hate crimes. Young people do, and they learn it from the old people?
But young people have big mouths, and can't usually control what they say. Hate crimes are there to stop
words, then, it looks like.

So most hate crimes are mischief, done by young people age 12 - 17. No wonder I've never seen any racism
or hate crimes on all my life living in Canada.

In my lifetime living in Canada, I haven't seen any racism. I have seen mischievous comments.
But I'm pretty sure the hate crime laws are there to teach us what we can say, what we can't say, and
in the future the government will tell us what we can think and can't think.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-x/2 ... 35-eng.htm

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

government will tell us what we can think and can't think.

the government doesn't need to tell you what to think The people around you should .Like the people on this forum are attempting.Crying out racial slurs with all your friends and only 1 racial minority is one thing.But if you try it alone in the middle of china town and you start calling people "chink "you will see how powerful words can be .
Peace be with you.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Thinktank wrote:I've never seen any racist intolerance in all my life in Canada.

You mean like the internment of Japanese Canadians during WW2? Or black Nova Scotians during the sixties? Or aboriginal residential schools? Or the treatment of aboriginals in general?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I haven't seen any racism. I have seen mischievous comments
I think you are confused about the issue and didn't understand what "mischief" meant regarding the crime. You are lucky or in denial if you haven't seen racism. I have.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

-fluffy- wrote:You mean like the internment of Japanese Canadians during WW2? Or black Nova Scotians during the sixties? Or aboriginal residential schools? Or the treatment of aboriginals in general?

Exactly.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

-fluffy- wrote:You mean like the internment of Japanese Canadians during WW2? Or black Nova Scotians during the sixties? Or aboriginal residential schools? Or the treatment of aboriginals in general?

...or the #idlenomore threads on Castanet.

Sad.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

thanks for the tip SE, i had been ignoring the INM thread.
also, i had been pondering Tank's position, i agree with so much he is saying, other than 'just words'.
the graph was excellent, while it's source ( if the citation is correct ) is primarily from a racist, sexist, murderous organization, the rcmp, so who really knows of its accuracy.
so many people confuse nationalism, and political banter with racism.
the powers that be manipulate so many things as to further their political agenda.
one way is to promote racism in the populace and have them do dirty work in their stead.
this is exemplified in the lack of respect being shown for the INM protesters.
the so called "government" is at war, their actions/attitudes are nationalistic, the populace on the other hand, they are racist, as they are only acting against the people because their ethnicity, most i am sure don't even realize the what the movement is all about.
so, in the case of seeing open racism, the negative actions of people toward the IDM protests, it would seem many of the users of this forum actually seem to aplaude and support it.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

...or the #idlenomore threads on Castanet.

Exactly ,I'm sure people of other cultures, reading ancient stereotypes and opinions generalizing whole races of people, will think twice about moving to kelowna. It is the very reason i revived this thread .Something must be said about the racist attitude to counter that redneck spew. Kelowna is growing and mindsets are slowly changing.If you cant make friends with the locals ,there is enough new people here to socialize with now.
Peace be with you.

Return to “Social Concerns”