Student’s photo of leg reflects how women are judged

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Student’s photo of leg reflects how women are judged

Post by oneh2obabe »

Noor Javed
Staff Reporter

The words are written all the way up the back of the woman’s leg. “Matronly” appears at her calf, “proper” at the knee, and “*bleep*” at the very top — words meant to reflect how women are often perceived based on the length of their skirt.

The provocative photo, called “Judgment,” was posted by Rosea Lake, a first-year university student at Capilano University in Vancouver, B.C on her Tumblr site in early January. In a matter of a few days, the photo went viral, with more than 280,000 people liking and re-blogging it on Tumblr.

She took the photo as part of a high school art project last year as a way to reassess her assumptions and preconceptions about how women dress.

“If you see a girl wearing something you see as distasteful, then you automatically discount them as a person and you don’t give them the opportunity to really be somebody in your eyes,” said Lake, 18. “And that’s really shameful.”

She says the image is also meant to be a response to rape culture. Right under the words “*bleep*” and “*bleep*” on model Ali Mackenzie’s leg, are the words “asking for it.”

Lake says that living in a “rough neighbourhood,” she has often wondered if her outfit will result in her being “sexually harassed or verbally abused.”

“These are the things I think about, and I don’t think women in particular should have to worry about am I going to be raped because of what I am wearing today?”

When she did the art project, she wrote on her blog that she “used to assume that all women who wore hijabs were being oppressed . . . and look(ed) down on and judge any woman who didn’t express her sexuality in a way that I found appropriate.

“I’d like to think I’m more open now.”

Thanks to the Internet, the image has been seen all around the world. And it’s a message that has resonated with everyone who has seen it.

She has received emails from women in Turkey and Bosnia who have loved the photo. Rape survivors from around the world have emailed her to thank her for her candidness. And professors have asked her permission to use it in their classes as a teaching tool.

“I think it hit at the right moment. I think it hit people who had these feelings and thoughts in mind, and wanted to discuss these issues, but didn’t know how to express them,” she said.

But there have been some people online who have taken it the wrong way and don’t understand that it’s satire. “There have been some comments where people say, this must have been made by a man, by a chauvinist pig . . . which upsets me, but you can’t control the Internet.

“I think most people know that it’s a photo meant to call out society on its ridiculous views.”

In the meantime, she is making prints of the photo in response to popular demand — and as a way to make some money as a “poor art student.” But she knows the exposure the photo has received is priceless.

“I’m just happy that it has sparked so much dialogue and conversation. The message is much more important than I am, so I want people to use it.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... irt-length
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Student’s photo of leg reflects how women are judged

Post by Fancy »

Wow - it sure makes a statement - good for her.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Wow! very strong statement . Says it all.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

Good for her! They say a picture says a thousand words.....how very true.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

oneh2obabe wrote:“If you see a girl wearing something you see as distasteful, then you automatically discount them as a person and you don’t give them the opportunity to really be somebody in your eyes,” said Lake, 18. “And that’s really shameful.”

I don't think anyone does that.

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I'd do it differently:

Down to Top:

Amish
Meh
Blah
Do I know you?
Hey there
Give me some sugar
Hubba-hubba
Woo-hoo!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
mrj222
Übergod

Post by mrj222 »

top one should be giggity.
We can't stop here, this is bat country!
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

All in all, I say an even split between the female view of the OP and the male. Men are insensitive pigs.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

cliffy1 wrote:All in all, I say an even split between the female view of the OP and the male. Men are insensitive pigs.

That's a great attitude.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I was expecting to see an article comparing how differently women are judged based on leg hair.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

when i was inhigh school some idiot forced us to wear shorts for PE that were way too short.
I hated that. You walked around feeling like a goof . We had no choice.

then some people figured out shorts can be longer. It looks more normal.

My question is this - why do women WANT to wear really short dresses?
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Which has nothing to do with how women are judged but the styles of the decades.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Thinktank wrote: You walked around feeling like goof.

My quesiton is this - why do women WANT to wear really short dresses?

To attract a goof
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Thinktank wrote:My question is this - why do women WANT to wear really short dresses?

If you have nice legs, why not ?
Probably for the same reason men with chest and arm muscles wear really tight t-shirts.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

So is the problem with women and the skirt length they choose, or with men and how they judge the woman by how much leg is seen?

Return to “Social Concerns”