Coconut Oil and healthy/unhealthy fats.

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Re: Coconut Oil and healthy/unhealthy fats.

Post by Phoenix Within »

I hope they have more. they were out the last time we were there, and it's apparently a good price.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

They had several pallets on the floor when I was there. $16.99 for 54 oz. which is around triple the price of what was at Safeway.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Roadster wrote:Now this is not text book stuff here, it is how I interpret what I have read over many years and I am up for correction if anyone has any more to add or change here.

"I don't know" would have been a much easier answer and a lot less convoluted to try to read. Thanks for the effort though. :-)

SO, mom lent me a book she had and I've been doing some other reading. I'm going to keep this short and easy to understand so others may get it.

Yes, coconut oil is made up of a high amount of saturated fats, but it's not the same structure as the animal saturated fats which are bad for you. Coconut oil is medium chain fatty acids (MCFA) which is broken down and utilized by the body easier than long chain. LCFA gets broken down, floats around in the blood stream and stored in fat cells. MCFA breaks down and goes straight to the liver to be used as fuel and not stored unless an excessive amount is introduced in to the body. MCFA also don't raise the blood sugars like carbohydrates can when used as fuel.

Coconut oil has lower calories per gram than other oils. The MCFA's in cocnut oil helps increase metabolic rate, and encourages the burning of LCFA's.

Still reading and learning, but this is some of the stuff that I've come across lately.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

jennylives wrote:They had several pallets on the floor when I was there. $16.99 for 54 oz. which is around triple the price of what was at Safeway.

Was the stuff at Safeway cold pressed virgin oil?
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Phoenix Within wrote:"I don't know" would have been a much easier answer and a lot less convoluted to try to read. Thanks for the effort though. :-)

Still reading and learning, but this is some of the stuff that I've come across lately.

I could have gone into all that medium chain, long chain, animal and plant base fats and lots of other stuff here and how the body deals with it all but people get confused unless they are that much into it themselves so I avoid that sept by PM when someone asks. And at that point I usually send links or quotes as you saw on the first page so they are read as is when someone asks that technical a question. I do know actually, just like short chain (carbohydrate) pectin (MCP) which is something that can help with cancer and many other medical issues, (pectin is not just a jam thickener) and many other weird things like why Vit B thiamine isn't as good as benfotiamine which are both B1 and again I would not go into why here but would encourage anyone wanting to know more to read on, would take me a lot of time writing it all out and then explaining to any who would ask, better we read like you and I are and that's awesome. Like I said I am not the text book writer here but I gave what I could in layman's terms for all to take a little piece out of and read on.
The main reason why I don't go that far into it is because I study this stuff for myself and family, not to rewrite it anywhere as a professional, that I am not and my disclaimer said so. Once I take money for such a service I will get quite technical. Sorry my answer didn't help But, you did read on as many are telling me in PM are reading on too,,, Very cool!
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
mee-mo87
Board Meister

Post by mee-mo87 »

Phoenix Within wrote:I hope they have more. they were out the last time we were there, and it's apparently a good price.

They had a shipment arrive on Monday, Tuesday there were lots out.

I went & bought a jar and so far I'm loving it! I have sensitive skin and its dry, so it has become my moisturizer from head to toe. I tried a facial scrub of Coconut oil with baking soda and it left my skin really soft, pores were a touch smaller nothing crazy but so far I am happy with it. Besides, $17 for that big tub/jar seems pretty reasonable to me... it will take awhile for me to get through.

http://www.carringtonfarms.com/organic- ... oz-bottle/
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I noticed last night after oil pulling, that my garlic breath from dinner was pretty much neutralized.

...jus' sayin'
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

I've started doing that oil pulling too and I do have to admit that there's something to it!

The build-up I usually have on the back of my teeth at the end of the day is gone. Sinuses are a little clearer (not 100%, but an improvement). A tooth that bugs me on occasion, hasn't. And I think my teeth do look a little whiter.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Does anyone object to hearing how to keep your mouth clean in another way through out the day and help your body deal with bacteria since the oil pulling is going so well? PW,,, would you mind it on this thread?
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Shoot. We're kind of half-a$$ed on the topic anyway.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Sorry for the delay, had to go out by the time I saw your answer.

Heard of Spry gum?

Xylitol is the subject here, it is found in wood,,, trees being not so quick and easy to grow, it would be hard and likely expensive to get so,,, it is also found in the cobs of corn. It's a sugar substitute but not like aspartame and the likes.

Doctors don't usually study natural substances unless it is beneficial to their government, well in some countries dental is free till the age of 18 so many doctors took a look and have found the claims to be right. Got a sore tooth? Want to make the bad bugs travel through your body without the ability to stick to the tissues making them kind of a friendly bug?

Xylitol is non sugar raising has low calories and satisfies the sweet tooth just about as good as sugar, in tea it's great, looks like sugar and leaves no after taste. Packets found in many places, even shoppers under their Life brand name.

Here is the trick, chew a piece of gum or suck on a candy with Xylitol (hopefully as the only sweetener, cos some companies use other stuff combined) after a meal and any bacteria in the mouth after eating will be left powerless as it passes through the body, decay will stop and possibly reverse it's self over time because you are chewing allowing saliva to help clean them and even build on the enamel when you can't brush.

You should be able to tolerate about 10g in a day without any of the side affects rarely listed by some who used up to 20g or more, some people have taken lots more, so a packet of Xylitol in tea is 4g and Spry gum is less then 1g.

Again I won't go into the science of it but I will provide a link where you can watch Doctors conferences discussing this sweetener and what it is expected to do and how it is supposed to work in the mouth and body.

I have known about it a while and since I started reading on it there has been more studies and more promising news about it.

Xylitols mode of defense is in the mouth helping prevent cavities and other mouth issues so chewing after eating is a good idea, as it turns out it seems during it's path through the body it inhibits germs from attaching to tissues which is how they connect, build up and cause us problems, if they are not able to stick and are free flowing straight out to waste production then we could be (at least) a little less full of inflammatory stuff which most of are in one way or another resulting in simple gut issues and more serious diseases such as diabetes, arthritis and such, that list can go a long way. So, chewing a few pieces of gum is the plan in the idea it doesn't kill bacteria but makes it as if friendly to the body, also dumping a packet of the sweetener in a cup of tea we want for medicinal reasons but hate to drink might not hurt any either.

Why I say might not and may is for the same reasons others do. It's proven to some point but not studied by the medical side in our country by the system so as to back it up for those who trust Pharma more then natural studies.

Anyway here is one link with several videos about 5mins or more each. If you like to get into the technical side of it this is a good place to start.

http://www.xylitol.org/xylitol-videos

Loads more to read on this subject. Sorry this was so long but it had to come with what I could share. Do I believe it works? Yes, I have had an annoying tooth since my dentist many years ago screwed up in my mouth breaking jaw bones and leaving me with possibilities of infection and I could have it out but I don't want to start yanking teeth and ending up with removables. Since chewing Spry I have noticed no swelling and no pain in that tooth and might be able to save it after all. Do I think it will do more? If it can in the mouth and the mouth is the path which most bugs good and bad get into the body (as well as the skin, nose and eyes and on our food) then maybe it can help further. Xylitol is even available in a nose spray now and many other forms including tooth paste. Do watch that it's the only sweetener in gum and candy because you defeat your purpose if other chemical stuff is in there that do harm teeth or health. Also decide how much you want,,, I have the gum with me all the time and chew at least three or four/day and I don't mind a packet in my tea especially roobios which doesn't taste all that good unless I dump something in it.

Watch that it doesn't clash with some kind of medicine you are on and start off with the gum and work into packets if you tolerate well. I make no money from this stuff, I just like it and the studies done on it. And BTW, Spry seems a bit more expensive compared to other gum,,, but I get mine at the health food store, 100 pcs for eight something,,, not bad for a healthy gum.

Ok have fun with that and if anyone finds an alarming story on it or more to say or wants to correct me on something here please let us know.
mee-mo87
Board Meister

Post by mee-mo87 »

I am loving the Coconut oil! Moisturizer, makeup remover, oil pulling... Love it.

I oil-pulled this morning before work and it still kinda amazes me how clean my mouth feels afterwards. I almost don't want to eat afterwards, I feel like I've been to the dentists and got a good cleaning. Less pain though :) I've also noticed that my sinuses clear up as well which is nice.

Any other recommended uses for it?
Cheers, Happy Friday!
Jiggle

Post by Jiggle »

92 percent of coconut oil composition is represented by saturated fats (view here), that's why it has traditionally gotten bad wrap. I don't drink coconut oil, not for that reason but I just don't like the taste, but I use it externally for my hair and skin.
Last edited by Jiggle on Apr 24th, 2013, 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Jiggle wrote:92 percent of coconut oil composition is represented by saturated fats (view here), that's why it has traditionally gotten bad wrap. I don't drink coconut oil, not for that reason but I just don't like the taste, but I use it externally for my hair and skin.

You don't have to drink it,,, but if the choice was to cook with a bad oil and one known to promote good health then the coconut oil would be the better choice. Having said that, look into the information showing our bodies need oils (fats) to survive, cutting all oils would be a problem for many parts of the body and including the brain. Some studies are showing coconut oil for the brain might prevent and even help lessen the effects of many brain diseases.

If I was to have a choice of margarine or coconut oil on my toast it would be coconut oil,,, there are many ways to add it to a diet besides drinking it altho I have found adding it to my coffee isn't as gross as one would think. I don't fry foods very often so I have other ways of adding it.

Read up on fats and the body's needs before cutting all oils because they are fats,,, not all are equal.
Jiggle

Post by Jiggle »

Roadster, I guess you are right. I just don't know much information on fats yet, that they can be either good or bad. I mean saturated fats are usually associated with something negative.

Return to “Health”