Drunken Landscaper Rams Member

janalta
Übergod

Re: Drunken Landscaper Rams Member

Post by janalta »

Intersection

If you look at the accident photos...the truck ended up beside the fence of the house on the lower left, he therefore would have been heading West.
The cop had to have been heading North or the truck would have hit the driver's side.
Attachments
cadder.jpg
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

The reason I don't jump to conclusions or have the lynch mob mentality when I read stories like this is because I have seen similar stories in the news before. e.g http://bc.ctvnews.ca/officer-killed-in- ... -1.1036239

The driver of the semi was not impaired in this particular case so nobody could blame him, what happened was the police officer was responding to a call without sirens and ran the red light.
http://article.wn.com/view/2012/12/15/M ... cy_lights/

More information is needed to form a proper opinion as of yet.

An eye witness to who actually saw who ran the red light or dash cam footage would satisfy my questions
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

It would be interesting to know what the speed calculation of the vehicle was at the time of the accident.

As you can see from the photos that intersection does not give to a real clear view. The directions the vehicles were travelling, doesn't give either any advantage on seeing it before it occurred when you figure out travel distance per second at the legal speed limit.

Even Cab drivers don't stop and look then proceed, come on... we've all seen the way they drive.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

cutter7 wrote:The reason I don't jump to conclusions or have the lynch mob mentality when I read stories like this is because I have seen similar stories in the news before. e.g http://bc.ctvnews.ca/officer-killed-in- ... -1.1036239

The driver of the semi was not impaired in this particular case so nobody could blame him, what happened was the police officer was responding to a call without sirens and ran the red light.

An eye witness to who actually saw who ran the red light or dash cam footage would satisfy my questions

I couldn't find anything that said the officer ran a red light in Surrey?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Oliver didn't run a red and neither did the truck driver. According to the truck driver, Oliver had his turn signal on and the truck driver was also turning. Oliver went through the light at a higher speed and was hit by the truck driver.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Truck+ ... story.html
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

cutter7 wrote:The reason I don't jump to conclusions or have the lynch mob mentality when I read stories like this is because I have seen similar stories in the news before. e.g http://bc.ctvnews.ca/officer-killed-in- ... -1.1036239

goatboy wrote:I couldn't find anything that said the officer ran a red light in Surrey?

Because he didn't. But he was speeding.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Fancy wrote:Oliver didn't run a red and neither did the truck driver. According to the truck driver, Oliver had his turn signal on and the truck driver was also turning. Oliver went through the light at a higher speed and was hit by the truck driver.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Truck+ ... story.html

From the article above:

Loty said he saw an oncoming car signalling to make a right-hand turn at the same green light, but he said the car did not turn and the two vehicles collided.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

janalta wrote:Intersection

If you look at the accident photos...the truck ended up beside the fence of the house on the lower left, he therefore would have been heading West.
The cop had to have been heading North or the truck would have hit the driver's side.

Yes, I agree with you regarding where the location the vehicles came to rest in judging by the photo's. However, if the truck was heading west on Cadder and the cop car was northbound on Richter as you say, and the impact occurs in the intersection how does the cop car end up 20 meters or so east of Richter on Cadder, the direction that the truck had just come from? If the truck hit the cop car in the intersection while it was heading west the cop car should have ended up on the other side of Richter.

My guess, and that's all it is, is a guess, is that the truck was heading east on Cadder and the cop was heading south on Richter. The force of the impact with the eastbound truck sent the cop car 20 meters east on Cadder where the photo shows it came to rest. The truck ended up where it did, 20 meters south of Cadder on Richter because it spun around to the right due to the force of impact which is logical considering that is the direction the cop car would have bene travelling in my scenario.

I say this because it seems more likely to me that the truck would have been spun around 180 after the collision then the cop car somehow moving 20 meters after impact in the direction the truck had supposedly just came from. Seems to defy the laws of physics.

As I mentioned previously, it is pretty much irrelevent which direction the vehicles were heading becuase, short of coming to a stop at the green light, the obstructions at that intersection (tall hedges and large trees) would have made it very difficult if not impossible for the cop to have seen the truck coming.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

DashFiveGuy wrote:
My guess, and that's all it is, is a guess, is that the truck was heading east on Cadder and the cop was heading south on Richter. The force of the impact with the eastbound truck sent the cop car 20 meters east on Cadder where the photo shows it came to rest. The truck ended up where it did, 20 meters south of Cadder on Richter because it spun around to the right due to the force of impact which is logical considering that is the direction the cop car would have bene travelling in my scenario.

I say this because it seems more likely to me that the truck would have been spun around 180 after the collision then the cop car somehow moving 20 meters after impact in the direction the truck had supposedly just came from. Seems to defy the laws of physics.

From the reports and pictures I saw, the truck was *coming from* the east on Cadder and the cop was *coming from* the south on Richter. The truck ended up in the yard of the house on SW corner and the cruiser ended up 30 M to the west on Cadder.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

crookedmember wrote:From the reports and pictures I saw, the truck was *coming from* the east on Cadder and the cop was *coming from* the south on Richter. The truck ended up in the yard of the house on SW corner and the cruiser ended up 30 M to the west on Cadder.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-85877-1-.htm#85877

The view of the destroyed cruiser at the top of the page linked above (it's actually the video) clearly shows the cop car on Cadder roughly 20 meters to the EAST of Richter. Note the house in the background has one of those portable boat/RV shelters and then go to Google Earth and see which house that is. I'll give you a hint; look at the northeast corner of the intersection.

Therefore the view in that image is facing west, the same direction you say the truck was heading. If that were true how did the cop car get from the intersection seen in the background where the impact occurred to where it is shown in the image sitting in a crumpled pile where as you claim the truck had just come from?

Please don't interpret this as being argumentative; I am simply explaining it how I see it because I cannot see how the cop car ends up where it is shown if the vehicles were heading in the direction you state.

ETA: On closer examination of the image that shows where the cop car ended up I noticed that the front right corner of the car came to rest right next to the left turn arrow on Cadder. Initially I thought this arrow was the left turn arrow closest to Richter but in reality it's a second arrow further back (east) from Richter. (see google Streetview -> http://goo.gl/maps/tm7hc).

Whereas I originally thought the cop car came to rest roughly 20 meters from Richter it now appears that it was more like 40 meters east of Richter!

Given where the vehicles ended up I can't see how this could have happened any other way than this:

Image.

Return to “Central Okanagan”