deleted

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
zzontar
Guru

Re: Responding to open racism

Post by zzontar »

kibbs wrote:Exactly ,I'm sure people of other cultures, reading ancient stereotypes and opinions generalizing whole races of people, will think twice about moving to kelowna. It is the very reason i revived this thread .Something must be said about the racist attitude to counter that redneck spew. Kelowna is growing and mindsets are slowly changing.If you cant make friends with the locals ,there is enough new people here to socialize with now.

We'll see how many non-native tourists this summer feel when they find out they can't use the WFN beach. I've talked to many, many people about this and all agreed it's a step back. It's strange that anyone who thinks people should be treated equally here are branded as racist, and if you try to get through an illegal native roadblock, you're racist, and if you are angry because the native leaders are mishandling your tax dollars, you're racist, or if you disagree that only one race in the world should be entitled to land, you're a racist. If there was a famous statue of a native that got defaced with rants against natives, it would be front page news as such a horrible hate crime. The defacing of the John A MacDonald statue by natives barely made the news and there was no mention of it even being a hate crime.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

-fluffy- wrote:You mean like the internment of Japanese Canadians during WW2? Or black Nova Scotians during the sixties? Or aboriginal residential schools? Or the treatment of aboriginals in general?

Or the treatment of any single white person without kids when it comes to getting any kind of assistance these days (especially when it comes to post-secondary education)
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

I always hated when people told ethnic jokes when I was younger. At first those
ethnic jokes offended me.

Ethnic jokes don't bother me much anymore.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

zzontar wrote:... I've talked to many, many people about this and all agreed it's a step back.

Do you mean to say:
I've ranted, bullied and expressed my overbearing, unsettling and aggressive energy to those unsuspecting people around me, and to my utter amazement, they have given in and agree to whatever I press them to agree with through my slightly off-kilter demeanor and intimidating presentation.

The majority of us readers know what racism is and also recognize when racism is really racism and not just passionate people exchanging a difference of opinion.
You should really try to keep up with that. It will improve your overall experience in communicating your own opinions, no matter how biased, slanted or in fact racist they are.
We, the reading public, no longer have a need to read your dribble regarding racism, as we all know and have seen in your posts, that you are not capable of intelligent conversation on this topic.
Cheers.

The best thing you can do to respond to open racism is to not respond to open racism.
Responding to it gives it power.
Responding to it is the aim of the offender.
Give it the strength and power it deserves.
Turn a cheek and consider how wonderful the area is in which we live.
Turn a cheek and think about how fortunate you are to have the strength you do.
Turn a cheek and consider how much pain and suffering your offender goes through in their every day...because living in fear and ignorance must be like living in a self made hell of sorts.
Honestly...if I were that pathetic and weak...I'd drink the koolaid.
As for those claiming to have never experienced or witnessed racism in this country, you are lying, a hermit or completely blind to the topic. There is no way you can understand what racism is, get out into social environments in this country and not see, witness, experience racism on some level. Not possible.

I can however understand how some people are quite oblivious to it.
I am friends with someone who never saw racism up close and personal until they became friends with a visible minority. Not to say they had never experienced racism, just not so open and raw as they now know it can be. It just so happened through this persons life, they had not made close friendships with minorities and were never found in social circles or situations where racism was obvious. Their circle of family, friends as well as business acquaintances simply did not partake in such tones of conversation nor had they ever positioned themselves in such environments. Well into their forties they had no idea racism was so alive and well within just feet of their own standing point. It's alive and well and we're surrounded by it. That's the truth of the matter.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Graham Adder wrote:...those claiming to have never experienced or witnessed racism in this country, you are lying, a hermit or completely blind to the topic.

How about this then:

I - HAVE - NEVER - SEEN - EXTREME - RACISM - IN - MY LIFE - IN CANADA

I've seen the mildest forms of racism, racial slurs etc. ethnic insults all the time.
People show favouritism to their own people all the time. It doesn't bother me anymore.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It obviously bothers other people and the point is how to deal with it.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Thinktank wrote:How about this then:

I - HAVE - NEVER - SEEN - EXTREME - RACISM - IN - MY LIFE - IN CANADA

I've seen the mildest forms of racism, racial slurs etc. ethnic insults all the time.
People show favouritism to their own people all the time. It doesn't bother me anymore.

WHY - THE - NEED - TO - COMMUNICATE - LIKE - THIS ?
I think the key to your last statement lies in the last sentence.
It doesn't bother me anymore

It still bothers me
I'm not alone.

I still say the best way to respond to racism is to not respond to racism.
Often easier said than done, but still a good rule to practice.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

zzontar wrote:We'll see how many non-native tourists this summer feel when they find out they can't use the WFN beach. I've talked to many, many people about this and all agreed it's a step back. It's strange that anyone who thinks people should be treated equally here are branded as racist, and if you try to get through an illegal native roadblock, you're racist, and if you are angry because the native leaders are mishandling your tax dollars, you're racist, or if you disagree that only one race in the world should be entitled to land, you're a racist. If there was a famous statue of a native that got defaced with rants against natives, it would be front page news as such a horrible hate crime. The defacing of the John A MacDonald statue by natives barely made the news and there was no mention of it even being a hate crime.

:ohmygod: :nutzoid:
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

It's getting boring to make valid points, only to be returned with "you're racist" or :ohmygod: . If you people want to discuss what parts of my posts are racist or incorrect feel free, because just calling names and posting emoticons doesn't accomplish much. I'm far past the point of thinking that you can't say anything negative about natives without being deemed racist. Funny thing is, no matter how much proof has been brought up about the native Chiefs ripping off their own people, they never say a peep... maybe they think they can't say anything against it either.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

i for the record have never heard anyone but u complain of the private wfn beach :sleepdeprived:

i appreciate the wfn for being a well run reserve with few of the problems associated with some reserves in our country .
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Do you mean to say:
I've ranted, bullied and expressed my overbearing, unsettling and aggressive energy to those unsuspecting people around me, and to my utter amazement, they have given in and agree to whatever I press them to agree with through my slightly off-kilter demeanor and intimidating presentation.

[/quote]

Nooooo, I mean they all agreed it was a step back, that's why I wrote that they all agreed it was a step back. I've driven by the beach with many people who have commented on the nice new beach, and when I tell them they're not allowed to use it the response is always along the lines of "you're kidding me." Believe it or not, they came up with that on their own, probably because none of them have ever seen or heard of a nation that has a beach that excludes all other nations.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

theyeti wrote:i for the record have never heard anyone but u complain of the private wfn beach :sleepdeprived:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=42743&start=15

Keep in mind most people are still too scared to say anything publicly because they don't want to be seen as being politically incorrect.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Keep in mind most people are still too scared to say anything publicly because they don't want to be seen as being politically incorrect.

i can understand how they want to protect what they have ,the same as the french have their language laws,As much as i disapprove of the way our government is altering environmental laws .I agree that it would be better if they shared the beach and took the opportunity to share cultures.i can understand how people see being protective as reverse racism.but it is just that a defensive move,
if it were racist it would be offensive .that is why so few complain .Maybe as they feel less defensive they will invite you .
Peace be with you.
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

[quote="theyeti"]i for the record have never heard anyone but u complain of the private wfn beach

I've heard lots! For the record!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

It's way too easy to play the "racist" card in situations where it is unwarranted, and has the effect of bringing any exchange down a notch or six in terms of constructive discussion. Just becasue I'm from one cultural back-ground and you're from another doesn't mean that any disagreement between us is racially motivated.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Social Concerns”