deleted

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
zzontar
Guru

Re: Responding to open racism

Post by zzontar »

-fluffy- wrote:It's way too easy to play the "racist" card in situations where it is unwarranted, and has the effect of bringing any exchange down a notch or six in terms of constructive discussion. Just becasue I'm from one cultural back-ground and you're from another doesn't mean that any disagreement between us is racially motivated.

Good point, the same goes for if someone sees a white guy and an ethnic guy fighting, it's usually assumed that it's racially motivated, and that it's the white guy who's the racist, as if being of two different races means they will always be in agreement. Whites have always been deemed as the most racist, yet although they consist of roughly 13% of the world's population, the vast majority of inter-racial couples involves one white person.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

black and white may fight for reasons other than race ,but if the n word is dropped in the argument ,than that's playing a racist card of another kind.
Peace be with you.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Graham Adder wrote:The best thing you can do to respond to open racism is to not respond to open racism.
Responding to it gives it power.
Responding to it is the aim of the offender.
Give it the strength and power it deserves.
Turn a cheek and consider how wonderful the area is in which we live.
Turn a cheek and think about how fortunate you are to have the strength you do.
Turn a cheek and consider how much pain and suffering your offender goes through in their every day...because living in fear and ignorance must be like living in a self made hell of sorts.
Honestly...if I were that pathetic and weak...I'd drink the koolaid.

I'm guessing Rosa Parks thought differently. Good thing she didn't think of herself as pathetic and weak.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I'm guessing Rosa Parks thought differently. Good thing she didn't think of herself as pathetic and weak.

I believe he meant that racists were pathetic and weak and should drink the koolaid ,as in jones town koolaid. Rosa was not alone when she made her stand.There is a fine line between heroism and stupidity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8A9gvb5Fh0
Peace be with you.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

If the WFN beach was a whites-only beach and she wasn't allowed on it, she probably would have spoken up and have been called a racist as well.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

yes i agree shameful to be so disrespectful of ppl . who cares about a beach go swim somewhere else . no use hating a whole bunch of ppl over it
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It's the principle behind it, what to do about it and how to handle it. This isn't just about a beach.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Fancy wrote:This isn't just about a beach.

Right you are.
It's about a whole lot more than a beach.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

the beach seems to really be a powder keg of racism towards the wfn. i think some ppl should just grow up and move on ..
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

theyeti wrote:the beach seems to really be a powder keg of racism towards the wfn. i think some ppl should just grow up and move on ..

:dyinglaughing: Yeah, and when the whites in Africa didn't allow blacks on their beaches, the blacks should have stopped being so racist, grown up, and moved on.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Does anyone think it's racist NOT to believe that everyone and every race is the same? From another thread:

SurplusElect wrote:
zzontar wrote:
If you had to have something built the best it could in the shortest time possible by 100 laborers picked at random for the same price, would you have it built in Germany or Jamaica? If you had to bet on a random group of white guys playing a random group of black guys at hockey, who would you bet on? What about basketball?

THANK YOU FOR PROVING MY POINT.

"Blacks are better at Basketball" / "Whites are better at Hockey" / "Jamaicans are lazy" (did you just get back from a trip to TO?)

No wonder a lot of people on this thread don't think Chief Louie is a racist. A lot of people on this thread are racist.

I think Germans on the average are more energetic than Jamaicans, teens are lazier than middle-aged people, women are better at some things than guys, guys are better than women at some things, etc. Why is it some think it's wrong to think everyone and every race might be different? BTW SurplusElect, I'd still be interested in an answer.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Just today sittin at a buddys Kitchen table shootin the bull ,and right in front of his kid this other guy drops the N Bomb .I say .I cant beleive people still use this word.Well "they" do it he says .That may be cool to some not all ,but from a white dude you sound like a southern plantation slave owner.Thats how you respond .Stand up to your own race when you here it.Have the nads to make a change.What do I call them then He asks me ?I said how about black?He said they hate that.I disagreed and said it was preferred to The N word.
Peace be with you.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

kibbs wrote:Just today sittin at a buddys Kitchen table shootin the bull ,and right in front of his kid this other guy drops the N Bomb .

Perhaps you need to seek out company better suited to your own values.
If your "buddy" supports that behavior by allowing it at his table, then is he any better than the socially *bleep* guy that speaks that vile filth?
From your writing, it seems to me you are above this kind of thing. It's at times like that, that you have an opportunity to not only voice your own set of values, but also to stand up for those who have no voice.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

If your "buddy" supports that behavior by allowing it at his table, then is he any better than the socially *bleep* guy that speaks that vile filth?

This is a problem I have run into since moving to the west.I'll be sittin there with people who seem fine but then the crap starts flyin.It is a lack of education.Due to lack of exposure to it people are unware of there own racism.I could write a letter to the naccp but i feel it better to take it head on.I find it is such a righteous cause is an easy preach.My buddy agreed with me and so did his kid.Not really a bad guy just a truly poor choice of words.I dont think he hated the black people ,just this one guy.
Peace be with you.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

kibbs wrote:This is a problem I have run into since moving to the west...

kibbs wrote: ...If you cant make friends with the locals ,there is enough new people here to socialize with now.

uh oh, i think someone might have some lingering predudices about people from "the west".

tsk tsk tsk

This may be a problem you have run into since moving to "the west" and the distinction you make between east and west may be only due to your personal experience... but some of us who've grown up in "the east" have a different perspective of your saintly easterners... based on our own personal experiences.

But thank you for finally getting here to deliver us from these horrible locals

Kelowna Local.jpg

... where've you been all these years!?!

PS...just don't go north, your head might explode.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."

Return to “Social Concerns”