Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

zzontar
Guru

Re: Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

Post by zzontar »

by kibbs » Today, 3:49 am

will support inm on this thread as long as it runs ,when it stops i will support them on other threads as i do already.
just FYI my friend lives in a native retirement home ,her face book page tells that chief spence is not on a hunger strike but a fast.a ritual ceremony.the fishbroth is a healing medicine .I believe she wants wants the gg who represents the government who made the first treaties ,our government who is now negotiating the treaties and the first nations reps to join in a healing circle .A ceremony to symbolize the burying of the hatchet and negotiating the rest of the treaties in good faith. Dave and
Ah, so your friend says she's fasting now...
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Fasting

Fasting
Definition
Fasting is voluntarily not eating food for varying lengths of time. Fasting is used as a medical therapy for many conditions. It is also a spiritual practice in many religions.

Does this mean she's gone from her diet to not eating? As far as you supporting her, you'll be doing that with less and less other people it seems.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-p ... 52988.html

Here are some top-line results from the survey:
- 64 per cent agree that Canada's aboriginal peoples receive too much support from Canadian taxpayers
- Only 31 per cent agree that First Nation's protesters are conducting justified and legitimate protests by shutting down roads and rail lines going through their communities
- 81 per cent agree that no additional taxpayers money should go to any Reserve until external auditors can be put in place to ensure financial accountability
- 60 per cent agree that most of the problems of native people are brought on by themselves
"Taken together, these data suggest that last week’s protests have done little to build sympathy for First Nations issues, and have instead created a new issue for First Nation leaders to struggle with – financial accountability," notes the survey report.

If you read the comments under the article you'd be surprised that so many people still support her. If a Chief with such a shady financial record doesn't mind taking the spotlight, it makes me wonder how the Chiefs who don't want any media are handling their band's affairs. It seems all this is promoting "money no more" more than anything. If you live in a glass house, you shouldn't throw rocks.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

"Money No More", I like it! :D
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:"Money No More", I like it! :D

Shut the front door!

Just say no!! :hailjo:
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

i am canadian.jpg
Peace be with you.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

kibbs wrote:
i am canadian.jpg

As with the environmental protection eliminations, the requested changes to the Indian Act are solely in the interest of the industries that sent the letter, and not in the interest of the communities and peoples affected. Of course the federal government was quick to comply with this request as well, and we are currently seeing the frustration of the people play out across the nation. Driven over the edge, they march and rally now, having already decided to take matters into their own hands. With Idle No More, they are bravely standing in opposition to the very things that should have every Canadian on their feet and expressing outrage.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/yan-robert ... 74752.html
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

kibbs wrote:
i am canadian.jpg

This is great, now we are getting there. Everyone an equal, everyone work for their buck and pay taxes together and put back into society and the economy, this is perfect. We are all Canadians, natives, one big happy bunch, what ever we want to call it we are all members of our own country as one, taking and giving it back as one group. No more I want this and that by any certain group... I,,,, like it! :nyah:
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

kibbs wrote:
i am canadian.jpg

I believe in the statement on that, although why not a Canadian Maple Leaf?

Once again we continue to try and keep separation instead of Unity. Yes, we should all say we are Canadian, and then if you wish what your ethnic background is.

As someone said it, some have to live for the future, not remain in the past.

A great example is Chief Louis, who tries to bring the best out of all people!
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

kibbs wrote:
i am canadian.jpg

How about the notion that THEIR elected government should act honestly and honorably and carry out it's obligations to it's people?
Last edited by zzontar on Jan 18th, 2013, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I believe in the statement on that, although why not a Canadian Maple Leaf?

because its in support of a first nation cause. a maple leaf in there too would be nice.
cannat flag.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLYOOezs3DA
Peace be with you.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

A very long, but well spoken/written letter...worth the read

A native perspective:

I've been #IdleTooLong about this whole topic, and I feel like I need to express my point of view without disrupting innocent travelers on highways, and cargo carrying freight trains.
First, allow me to clarify that I am a Cree man with full status. I have family in positions of political power in this very province, and should declare that my opinions are my own. While everyone needles over the finite details of the current situation, I'd like to paint my thoughts for you with much broader strokes.

I'm so very proud of my culture. The way the plains Indians lived on this land was a fantastic example of community, art, respect for our environment, ingenuity, and spirituality. I'm proud of the native inspired tattoos that I sport permanently on my body. As a father, I'm teaching my son that same respect and understanding of where his blood derives from, in the hopes that his pride will outshine the prejudice he will inevitably experience growing up, or at some point in his life.

I'm also very proud to be Canadian. Our vast mosaic of cultures, languages, and beliefs make up this welcoming land of opportunity for all. Whether you like it or not, we all have the same citizenship, but some have a different view on the value of it.

I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of the government bills, documentation, or policy that is driving the current protests, but I've intently watched news stories, read columns, and have regularly monitored the comments being made on facebook. Based on all of this, I feel the need to break my silence on this issue.

1 - It's embarrassing how the #IdleNoMore protest is being handled.
Blocking major traffic thoroughfares does nothing good to bring support and awareness to your cause, it creates immediate animosity towards you. Protesting freely in parks or in front of government buildings seems like a much more productive way to attract the attention of those you seek. The politicians. Not the regular welder-Joe who's just trying to get to work. Hold him up and cost him money? See how much support you'll get out of that guy...

Clarify what you are protesting for, or against. I've never seen such a passionate group of people go forward in protest in such disarray, and without clearly stating what it's all about. If it's generally about your need to be consulted, respected, justified for being mistreated, or the preservation of your culture, then let's be out with it and start a constructive discussion.

Understand that you do not need to be consulted for anything any more than the Canadian citizen next to you does. Your opinion on things doesn't count "more" than anyone else's.
Respect is earned, not given.

There's no question that the native people of yesterday were brutalized, hunted, tortured, and humiliated for decades. It's awful, and no one should ever have to suffer like that. The elders of the time signed those treaties to bring peace, and offer what they hoped would be a leg-up in a new world that they realized couldn't be held at bay. But those days are long over. It defies logic to have the current population pay for the tragedies committed by people that came so long before them.

The preservation of your culture is YOUR job, not anyone else's. For example, Polish, Irish, and Ukrainian societies thrive all over the country with very little or no support from government coffers. They celebrate traditional dance, language, and food all by simply passing it down from generation to generation. Native communities can do the very same thing (and generally do), but without financial support.

2 - "This movement is about the whole environment, its not just about the treaties....The bill that passed now un protects the rivers, lakes, forests, land, etc, etc, so we need this bill to further protect ur childrens futures.....thanks to Harper Govt....rigs n developemtn will pollute the air, waters, etc, etc.."

It's no secret that our Canadian economy is driven by the oil and gas industry. Yes, there have been some awful environmental blunders due to a plethora of different reasons. I heartily agree that we need to protect our natural areas that support wildlife, but I also know that there is aggressive legislation, and powerful government offices in place that already have that very same sentiment at heart. Millions of Canadians support green technology and research, as well as lobby for stronger federal policy. So if that's what this is all about, there's no need to blockade anything, as a majority of people would already agree with you.

3 - "It is about the 480 page Bill that the government has passed without you knowing about it. It went through the house of commons and the senate in 2 wks. 480 pgs long...do you think that many people had time to read it? It says that under age criminals can be punished as adults. It makes more budget cuts. The librarians at schools are being budget cut. It is about ALOT more than Aboriginals, it's about everyone in Canada. The Aboriginals are the ones who started to realize the Bill was gonna to do irreversable damage!"

Back in the days of copying notes off a blackboard or projector in school, I'm certain I've WRITTEN 480 pages in two weeks, let alone read that many. In a political world where literacy at a high level is demanded, I'm willing to bet that most could plow through that many pages in a very short period of time. I suppose the content would be laden with bureaucratic jargon and would need time to fully interpret...but that's why you have a legal team.
Quite frankly, I agree with underage criminals being tried as adults, and I'm willing to bet that a landslide majority of Canadians will agree with me.

Budget cuts are a reality of our democratic world. I'm not sure if this means that librarians from schools are being removed, or the library itself, but the fact of the matter is, our schools rely on a healthy economy for funding. When money gets tight, things get sacrificed. I truly hope that the readily available knowledge in a library would be the last to go.

4 - "It's not about the Aboriginals! That is what they are doing to distract you from what it really is about! It only affects the aboriginals- just like it will effect ALL of us!"
This is very confusing, but seems to sum up the general knowledge about what is going on. Who is "they"? Are we going into conspiracy theory depths here? Do people not realize that we have an official opposition in place as a natural government watchdog to debate everything that in-power government is trying to enact? If there were truly earth shattering implications in the bill in question, the opposition would be whistle blowing and bleating into any available microphone available so fast it would make your head spin.

First and foremost, I'm a human being just like you. I believe in equality. Across the board equality. Our country is so multicultural, that to give any specific group levity over everyone else is completely ridiculous. I'm not familiar with the particulars of old treaties signed, but I get the gist because I have used some of the special privileges provided to me. I do not pay for health care. I did for awhile in my young working life, but then the government discovered my native status and sent me a HUGE apology letter, and a cheque for every dime I had put into the system. Odd. I lived just up the street from my fellow truck driving friends, did the same job, paid the same taxes...yet there I was with this benefit because of my racial background and some papers that were signed all those years ago. I've used it for eye wear. This was particularly handy when I was “up against it” financially, but had broken my glasses welding. Here's the thing though, why should I have an advantage on a co-worker who might be in the same situation? It's not fair, and it needs to stop.

I move that Canadians start their own march towards coast to coast equality, or at least the serious discussion of it. Our country should offer no free rides to anyone. No help for those who refuse to help themselves. No quarter for those who would inhibit the lives and success of others. No limit to what anyone can accomplish with a steely resolve, and a great idea. It doesn't matter who built the first camp fires and communities on this land, it's those that work hard to continue to stoke the flames of collective well being that matter.

As a man that stands by his word, I pledge to never again use my native status to further myself in a way that isn't available to every other Canadian. I will leave my son unregistered, and will teach him the importance of keeping it that way. I am a proud native man, and a hard working, forward thinking Canadian that believes the opportunities and advantages this country has to offer should be available to everyone equally.

- Anthony Sowan
@sowanonair

please share

UPDATE: After watching a day of comments...

For those of you that feel that I need to meticulously read treaty documentation, and Native history, I offer you this: There is no argument you can offer that justifies inequality of any kind in this country.

I said I didn't know every detail, but I also didn't say I'm completely uneducated on the subject. I also encourage people to think for themselves based on their own research.

No matter how you cut it, the monetary compensation and general advantages need to stop. Horrific things happened to people/races throughout history, and although I'm not condoning or supporting it, I do not feel that they should be given anything more than anyone else. The atrocities committed, in this instance, happened a long time ago to/by people that no longer exist. I agree that it should never be forgotten, but it makes no sense to have the innocent Canadian citizens of the present pay for crimes committed by someone else in a different time.

Really, the people that are abusing you the worst, are the people you have placed in leadership positions. Not ALL of them are corrupt, but there are some very serious issues with monetary responsibility. I honestly don't know how some band leaders haven't been arrested for fraud, embezzlement, and more.

The first step of "healing" is to put the past in it's place. Only then can you work on your own personal lives, which will then naturally stem into becoming whole as a community. The healing you want and need can come from no government program, and no external source. #CanadianEquality
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

This letter supports idle no mores view of bill c45 ,i agree idle no more is poorly organized and road blocks do little to gain favour
Peace be with you.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

and that's all you get out of this?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

juz516 wrote:and that's all you get out of this?

That's a very good letter, it's what I've been saying all along except I'm branded as a racist for saying it.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Of course that's all, some don't want to look ahead, they just want what's free.

That is the best writing I have seen coming out of this Idle no more yet. Awesome and I hope some of his people get it.

If it's an environment thing we should all be protesting, not by blocking, but by letters and pertitions and such but this seems to be a native issues and I wont participate when they claim it's about them only.

I would participate in an equality for all tho. If the government helped us all (where we need it) to feed all children and promote a healthy life style we would be far better off and so would the natives. They just need to act as good parents and show their kids what it's like to self support and make a good living. Be educated and happy.

Me too zzontar,,, we are not native so saying they should pull up their socks and get along with society is like saying they are Indian,,, it's not that at all, we would like to see all as takers and givers of society, but will it happen? I hope some day.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

kibbs wrote:This letter supports idle no mores view of bill c45 ,i agree idle no more is poorly organized and road blocks do little to gain favour

You sound like a broken record kibbs. Blah blah blah....idle no more, blah blah....c 45 blah blah. Did you read the entire letter? Perhaps you should remove the blinders.

Return to “Canada”