Ice on Sidewalks

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Ice on Sidewalks

Post by fluffy »

Woodenhead wrote:doesn't hurt your lawn if I leave a footstep in the snow on it

True enough, provided the ground is frozen hard enough to support your weight. Soft and melting? You can drop by in the spring and fill the holes and reseed, okay?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Bleach wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the first 5 feet of land is the city's? (the ones without sidewalks.)

No problem there...Other than not being able to shovel it .....

But people seem to think they have a right to cut across what is clearly my yard AND

doesn't hurt your lawn if I leave a footstep in the snow on it

They constant traffic has already worn down a path in what was lawn..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

If it is that much of a problem, it might be time for a fence (inside the property line, of course).
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

People tend to think city property is public property - it isn't. Easement rights means access to city workers etc. - not a playground or convenient walkway.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Fancy wrote:People tend to think city property is public property - it isn't. Easement rights means access to city workers etc. - not a playground or convenient walkway.

I agree. I'm expected to tend to that strip of lawn as if it were my own and its condition reflects on the appearance of my home in general. I don't think a little respect for that is too much to expect, especially since in my case there is a sidewalk right there.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

-fluffy- wrote:True enough, provided the ground is frozen hard enough to support your weight. Soft and melting? You can drop by in the spring and fill the holes and reseed, okay?

Nah. Build a fence. I WALK WHERE I WANT!

(just having fun lol)
Your bias suits you.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I agree. I'm expected to tend to that strip of lawn as if it were my own and its condition reflects on the appearance of my home in general. I don't think a little respect for that is too much to expect, especially since in my case there is a sidewalk right there.

I also agree...I don't mind a worn patch of grass next to the curb. It's called a beaten path and I use them too when there is no other option for being safe and comfortable , however ,people just don't think that they should consider not walking on someones front yard...

But hey , these are the people who *bleep* about having to pay to park at KGH after all...

Just wait till Oct when I have to pay 30 buck to park in front of my house....Those peope are gonna LOVE me..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
wordtothewise

Post by wordtothewise »

What about when it's icy on the sidewalk in front of an elementary school? A neighbour of mine nearly slipped and fell, walking her children to school a couple of weeks ago...
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

kgcayenne wrote:If it is that much of a problem, it might be time for a fence (inside the property line, of course).

It's not really that much of a problem. I have no trouble pointing out peoples arrogance to them and then belittling them... And as for the fence , I wish... The landlord is too cheap to buy the roofing materials for the garage so I can save the darned thing for him....
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

wordtothewise wrote:What about when it's icy on the sidewalk in front of an elementary school? A neighbour of mine nearly slipped and fell, walking her children to school a couple of weeks ago...

It doesn't matter how much snow removal is done or ice remover is laid down. When the temperature fluctuates it is going to get icy.

You should tell her to be careful as there may be slippery sections.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Central Okanagan”