Never pay a traffic ticket without a fight

Home of the traffic rant.
Paralegalbc

Never pay a traffic ticket without a fight

Post by Paralegalbc »

The first thing you will see in a British Columbia traffic court is the “scrum”, i.e., a large group of police and accused gathered outside the courtroom discussing tickets. Why? The courts generally set thirty to fifty tickets each day. Unfortunately, the police and the traffic courts have really turned this process (in spite of what they say it is a trial process) into a business: when they give police tickets and exhort them to enforce the law, they are simply grazing more money off the motoring public.
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Re: Never pay a traffic ticket without a fight

Post by WhenWhatWho »

If you drive within the constraints of the traffic laws you won't have a problem. If not you deserve the ticket so, stop whining like a little girl and take the ticket like a man. Jeez
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Wouldn't it be the people fighting the tickets that have turned the court system into a gong show? Can't tell me all the tickets issued are without merit. If one gets caught doing something wrong fess up and pay up instead of taking up valuable time.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Wouldn't it be the people fighting the tickets that have turned the court system into a gong show? Can't tell me all the tickets issued are without merit. If one gets caught doing something wrong fess up and pay up instead of taking up valuable time.

If people feel the fine they received is unjust they should take it to court and fight it .Learn more about how our justice system works.Take the time and learn how to use your democratic right.The courts are full of things police waste time on.If you feel your case has taken to long to come to trial ,let them know in the scrum, you are making a charter of rights argument.Because they took too long to bring the trial to court.
Peace be with you.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

kibbs wrote:If people feel the fine they received is unjust they should take it to court and fight it .Learn more about how our justice system works.Take the time and learn how to use your democratic right.The courts are full of things police waste time on.If you feel your case has taken to long to come to trial ,let them know in the scrum, you are making a charter of rights argument.Because they took too long to bring the trial to court.

You're talking a different issue when quoting me. I know how the justice system works btw and I wasn't saying anything about an unjust fine - quite the opposite.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Fancy wrote:Wouldn't it be the people fighting the tickets that have turned the court system into a gong show? Can't tell me all the tickets issued are without merit. If one gets caught doing something wrong fess up and pay up instead of taking up valuable time.

I attended one of these court sessions and it was like an episode of judge Judy, quite entertaining. I was fortunate, the police woman who wrote me the ticket for going 67 in a 60 zone in front of Orchard Park Mall on hwy 97 didn't show up so I was let off. Thought it was outragous being ticketed $180 for exceeding the limit by the speed of someone walking quickly.

The first person was a woman with kids in tow. She claimed the radar gun was inaccurate and the judge asked the officer if he was a radar technician, which he wasn't, so they let her off. (??) This was for going 20km/h over the speed limit through a school zone. That was a joke, mother with kids so I think she got the pitty vote.

The next was a young man who had a history of speeding. This is where the Judge Judy similarities showed up, not only did the judge give him hell for about 10 minutes, she suspended his license. His face was priceless, never seen a jaw drop that far before.

So if you have a bad driving history, dont risk it, could go very badly. If on the other hand it's the first ticket you've had in a very long time, it may be worth the effort.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The "Mother" should have had hers suspended as well.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

You're talking a different issue when quoting me. I know how the justice system works btw and I wasn't saying anything about an unjust fine - quite the opposite.

i hope you know the justice system.i find many do not agree with their traffic violation but have to take a day off to fight it,so they say to heck with it and pay.If we had night traffic court i think you would see a lot more tickets being fought.Its worth a shot you don't lose a days pay.
Peace be with you.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I have to assume you think people should fight any ticket that's valid. Bog down the system as much as possible. I just think that's a form of cheating.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I have to assume you think people should fight any ticket that's valid. B

had my wild and stupid days ive sped and payed my dues. I've justly gone through yellows on a left and been fined.see you in court in a year or more.
Peace be with you.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

You obviously aren't reading what I post. Cheating is cheating but I guess the system is there to beat. Don't complain about delays in court as those trying to screw the system are part of the problem.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Poindexter wrote:So if you have a bad driving history, dont risk it, could go very badly. If on the other hand it's the first ticket you've had in a very long time, it may be worth the effort.

But only if you honestly think you have a legitimate excuse.

I got my first speeding ticket in 12 years last year. I05-ish in an 80 zone is not really something I'm going to dispute. I broke the law, so pay the fine I did. I'm sure I could have wasted court time and your tax dollars hoping the officer didn't show up, but in good conscience, I could not. I was taught many years ago that accepting responsibility one's own actions is what separates an adult from a child.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Poindexter wrote:The next was a young man who had a history of speeding. This is where the Judge Judy similarities showed up, not only did the judge give him hell for about 10 minutes, she suspended his license. His face was priceless, never seen a jaw drop that far before.

I didn't realize you can make it worse by disputing the ticket. I thought people have nothing to lose when they fight it...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Captain Awesome wrote:I didn't realize you can make it worse by disputing the ticket. I thought people have nothing to lose when they fight it...

Not in this kid's case. She used the same arguement used here, wasting the courts time. Then went on about how he was a danger to himself and everyone else on the road and it was time he grew up and took responsibility for his actions. Sometimes the judicial system works.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Captain Awesome wrote:I didn't realize you can make it worse by disputing the ticket. I thought people have nothing to lose when they fight it...

The officer also has up to a year to issue additional fines ie if they let you off of ticket A and give you B, and you dispute B, they can still go back and give you A.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”