Is no one concerned?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
juz516
Board Meister

Is no one concerned?

Post by juz516 »

I am not sure what is considered a "troll" on here, but I read a lot of the posts and subjects....and I am always amazed at the attitudes of some of the posts. This day and age is almost scarey, as it would seem that many people are simply concerned that everything is their way and it would seem that it doesn't matter that everyone is entitled to their opinion. I realize that this forum is for that purpose....discussion on any given subject...and I, too, add mine at times. I try very hard not to judge, but in the time I have been reading, it doesn't matter what the subject is there are some that simply cannot respect others' opinions.
It is a different world these days....there certainly doesn't seem to be the freedoms, respect for each other, etc., that there has been in the past. I lived out of the country for a number of years and in returning, I had my eyes opened big time. It is not the Canada I grew up in, and I find it very difficult to adjust to.
Starting with kids/teens....wow....it is unbelievable to me what goes on. Yes, we all partied, we all did things we weren't supposed to, but to out and out disrespect and destroy both lives and belongings of others with few/very mild consequences. In some ways I feel that it is, in part, the parents' fault...but then there is so much psychobabble about damaging their "self esteem" from a very young age, (not being able to "spank", and the consequences of "time out", etc., although work for some, do not work for all)....and simply not teaching respect, that they grow up without the rules we did or we used with our kids. On the other hand, the young offenders law is crap, IMO, because there are not the consequences and shame involved. I really wonder, with the way things are with these young people, what the world will be like when they come into "office", so to speak. Doesn't bode well.
Then there are, at the other end of the spectrum, the "boomers".....they lived the way they wanted, did anything they wanted because they lived in a world vastly different from present day. But....now they want everything their way....they would like to take away a lot of the freedoms they enjoyed as younger people....with no thought for how the others feel. Their way or the highway.
The elderly are put into care homes that are definitely not stellar....they are, in some cases, treated with disdane, and almost cruel tactics. Some of the people that are supposedly giving the care simply are there for the paycheck, the health care system is lacking big time, and some of these people suffer horribly and that simply should not be. These people worked and contributed to this country their whole lives. Very rarely, I suspect, did they put a drain on the systems in place....and yet there they sit living out their last days with family too busy to visit, staff (not all) doing a job they have no business doing. AND people comment on what a drain on the system they are! Sad
People, it seems, cannot even have a conversation with a neighbor to work out a problem that might come up without fear of a bigger problem ensuing. People sue over the littlest things, anything and everything. The powers that be, in local governments lack the same respect...so how does one live in this world? Stay to yourself, trust no one (especially those in power positions), ignore the ignorance of some, and show respect regardless.
People want to ban everything these days. Every day people are inundated with calls to donate funds to various groups and societies. Your personal information is out there, or sold, to be used for these purposes in many cases. There are more murders, more vandalism, more ...more...more....of everything bad and less of anything good, IMO.
Canada and Canadians used to be highly respected and maybe in some respects still are in some places....but in living outside of the country and watching the "tourists" I can honestly say that, in come cases, I was totally and completely embarrassed of the lack of respect and such shown.
So that is my rant. I am totally disillusioned and disgusted with society as it is and with that, I resign from Castanet. lol
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Is no one concerned?

Post by kibbs »

I am not sure what is considered a "troll" on here

Young net savvy people call a person using outrages statements ,that they don't even believe just to get a response .that is emotional and vulnerable. Everyone is a troll in a way ,trolling for a response to their slant on life.the former is a sick puppy.
Try being thankful for everything that goes right in life .you will find it far outweighs the bad
Peace be with you.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

didn't do that rant for a response....simply my opinion.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

juz516 wrote:didn't do that rant for a response....simply my opinion.

It was indeed a rant.
I don't disagree with what I perceive to be some of the points you were intending to make, but I did manage to pull out one thing clear and concise. That is:
You should switch to decaf.

Oh...and...believe it or not...many are concerned. Many.
Most however, do not feel they have a voice to be heard, and many more are fearful of a system they are forced to live as a part of. Call it self preservation.
We're all just trying to survive.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

Be the change you want to see. I think travel is the best education anyone can get, and we'd all benefit to see how things are done in more progressive parts of the world.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Liquidnails wrote: ... we'd all benefit to see how things are done in more progressive parts of the world.

More progressive - like where, for example ?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I'm not concerned ....trolls are trolls are trolls.

I only worry about what I've done today and if it will keep me awake tonight..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

steven lloyd wrote:More progressive - like where, for example ?

Norway, Sweden, Finland, Nertherlands. Maybe Germany and Spain on some issues.

I think Canada is pretty good for the most part, but I'm not sure that we are moving forward.
Jeckle
Fledgling

Post by Jeckle »

juz516 wrote:didn't do that rant for a response....simply my opinion.

As per your thoughts on teens...
We created them.
My generation (40ish) are the ones that are truely f*^#ed up and we are screwing up our kids.
Do you know more families that are together (mom, dad, kidlettes), or divorced?
I know far too many families where the children have multiple dads.
What kind of morals are we teaching?
My friends husband cheated on her. They have two kids....pre-teen, but plenty old enough to know that dad is screwing around.
Then we have another family that the married mom of a teen boy is sleeping with the married dad of another teen boy (same grade/same class) and the whole damn town hears about this!
Where's the morals!?
These poor boys now HATE each other and the rumors in our towns one high school are sick.
The boy from story number one tells his mom that it's okay they did this since they were unhappy in their marriages.
I rest my case.
Doesn't dawn on these people to end their marriage first, THEN jump in the sack with someone new.

Don't even get me started on father of the year that is in the process of searching for mail order bride #2 (first marriage didn't last...go figure).

I'm certainly not perfect, but I try to behave like I expect my kids to behave. Morals, compassion and respect for the law....just to name a few

:sleepdeprived:
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

if you get up close to the train wreck that is all you will see,step back and you will see the rest of the world goes on.I think people who say they hate train wrecks truly love them.it is all they talk about.
Peace be with you.
Jeckle
Fledgling

Post by Jeckle »

kibbs wrote:if you get up close to the train wreck that is all you will see,step back and you will see the rest of the world goes on.I think people who say they hate train wrecks truly love them.it is all they talk about.

What's your point? To not dwell on the negative, see the rosey side to life?
I'm sick of people that wear rose colored glasses.

We too often turn our backs on the train wreck and pretend that it never happened.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

We too often turn our backs on the train wreck and pretend that it never happened.

Most just focus on the carnage of the train wreck and say trains are bad because of all these dead people.But if you step back you will see most trains run safely.Cars kill more than trains just less at a time.If you only focus on the details of one event it can upset you .when you put it in the proper perspective you will realize all the worry in the world does nothing .DO something to make a change for the better you will feel better.
Peace be with you.

Return to “Social Concerns”