Any good movies out there?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
warden
Übergod

Re: Any good movies out there?

Post by warden »

petspal wrote:PS I have never figured out why that movie Silver linings Playbook took so long to come to a Kelowna theatre

Two reasons: It was on a limited release roll out. Started in major cities (LA, NY) at the end of November and went wider and wider after that. Two, the movies in theatres here are controlled by people in other cities. If the films that are showing are still making money, they won't take them out until they're not. There was likely no space for Silver Linings until now.

I saw Silver Linings tonight. It was really good, but I'm not sure I get the Oscar hype behind this one. Jennifer Lawrence's performance was great but I'm still pulling for Quvenzhane Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild) for the Oscar.
Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Captain Awesome wrote:
I heard that movie is good too but never seen it.

Wow. You really have to see it. One of my faves.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I'm just about halfway through season 4 of "Sons of Anarchy", as gripping a prime time soap opera as there ever was. Very much a pay attention thing, if you look away for a second somebody will be dead when you come back.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Awhile back my wife and I watched the American remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo with Daniel Craig and thoroughly enjoyed it. With few new offerings on the rental scene this month we thought we’d take a shot at watching the original Swedish trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest are a trio of Swedish thrillers based on book series by Stieg Larsson) over the next three weekends. Subtitled but we can live with that.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

The originals are amazing Steven. You don't even notice the subtitles after a bit.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

ZeroDarkThirty was fairly boring. Vastly overrated for all the buzz it recieved.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

fvkasm2x wrote:ZeroDarkThirty was fairly boring. Vastly overrated for all the buzz it received.

Yeah? We passed on that one last week in favour of "Django Unchained" but it's still on my radar.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

fvkasm2x wrote:ZeroDarkThirty was fairly boring. Vastly overrated for all the buzz it recieved.

I thought so too. The last 45 minutes and I'll use Warden's words to me after the show "was stellar".
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

"End of Watch" was quite good we thought. Good pace and strong finish.

Tonight we got the Swedish version of "The Girl Who Played With Fire"
and next Saturday with be "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest"
(saw "Girl With The Draggon Tatoo" last Saturday)
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We watched Spielberg's Super8 on Netflix. Sure glad we saw that one on Netflix.

Same with Chocolat, if you like slow slow slow slow anti-climatic movies, settle with your knitting for that one.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Depending on your sense of humor " Burn after reading " is excellent.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:Depending on your sense of humor " Burn after reading " is excellent.

That was another Coen Brother movie I just didn't get. Same with "No Country for Old Men". I was scratching my head wondering what the plot was by the end of it.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Here's an interesting documentary about the impact of natural gas drilling and the general govt/industry response:

http://www.filmsforaction.org/watch/gasland_2010/
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

I've gotten into this series and am enjoying the difference in the English crime shows to the Americanized ones.. There is a part 1 and 2 for each story and each is one hour long...

Waking the Dead: Det. Supt. Peter Boyd (played by Trevor Eve) is the leader of a multi-discipline police team of detectives and scientists, the Cold Case Squad, which investigates old, unsolved murder cases using modern methods and new technology that may not have been available during the original investigation.

http://www.1channel.ch/tv-2730453-Waking-the-Dead
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It's not a movie, but may as well be, 4400 as a tv series is on netflix, it's up to date and withit. We are really enjoying watching it.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”