Teacher bargaining

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Teacher bargaining

Post by Urbane »

The government has announced a proposal for a 10 year deal with teachers. Also announced by the premier this morning is a $100 million fund that would be available in the third year of the contract to address specific needs in regard to class size and class composition.

Updated: Gov't framework for 10 year deal with teachers
VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980)
Shane Woodford
1/23/2013

CKNW has obtained the full 24 page document outlining the BC Governments framework to reach a ten year deal with teachers.

It is called Working Together for Students and introduces four key elements to secure a decade of labour peace with the teachers union.

The Province wants to index teachers salaries to an average of other major public sector increases. It would also see the creation of a dedicated Priority Education Investment Fund along with a new Education Policy Council.

The document says the funding amount has yet to be determined and might be linked to economic performance or education enrolment.

The Council would oversee the fund and would be made up of representatives from the government, teachers, and boards of education.

Last but not least, it also promises a new structured and transparent bargaining process.

The document also lays out a complete timeline for bargaining.

The government wants talks to begin March first with a mediator, appointed by the Minister of Labour, stepping in if no deal is reached by June 15th.

If there is still no deal the mediator will report publically on the dispute issues and cost implications of each parties' positions by June 30th.

July 15th the mediator will issue recomendations for settlement.

If those recomendations are not rejected by either party by July 25th they become the basis for a new deal.

However if the government rejects the mediators recommendations it must provide an alternate offer by August 7th.

If the teachers union rejects the recommendations, or the governments alternative offer, it must issue strike notice by August 31st.

If the teachers do not reject the recommendations, or the governments alternative offer, then it will be deemed as accepted and then used to form a new collective agreement.

The last point on the timeline is a little ominous saying if teachers issue strike notice schools will not open in September and will remain closed until a deal is done.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Teacher bargaining

Post by Urbane »

And the predictable response from the BCTF:

BCTF rejects Premier's 10-year contract plan
VANCOUVER/CKNW AM980
Gord Macdonald
1/24/2013

BCTF President Susan Lambert says the Premier's 10-year contract plan is a non-starter, because it asks teachers to give up the right to bargain class size/composition and salary/compesnation.
Speaking with CKNW's Bill Good, Lambert says it's quite ludicrous for government to hold out a 10-year deal in trade for giving up collective bargaining rights that the union fought a 10-year legal battle to achieve a court decision that said yes, teachers have a constitutional right to bargain working conditions.

I wonder if the people who actually pay for the education system, i.e. the taxpayers, should have any say??
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Figures. Lambert should be expatriated. She's a scourge on education in this province. She's simply posturing on behalf of Adrian Dix and the NDP.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Maybe you two 'witless twits' should ask any teacher if they would like to give up
class size bargaining, and composition. Really!

This dumb nonsense is a non starter and simply Clark grandstanding.

Why would any teacher trust her after the screw up over the past 10 years?
Not to mention millions of taxpayer dollars already spent on election advertising.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Like all unionists, Lambert is clinging desperately to the past, rather than being open to innovation and new concepts. There's George, a teacher off 33 years, chiming in his union support too. Old dinosaurs, who refuse to change even though the current mess won't be resolved by staying firmly entrench in past failed policies. Sorry Christy, but I think the great ideas your folks have presented won't ever get off the ground as long as the union is involved.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Fisher-Dude wrote:Like all unionists, Lambert is clinging desperately to the past, rather than being open to innovation and new concepts. There's George, a teacher off 33 years, chiming in his union support too. Old dinosaurs, who refuse to change even though the current mess won't be resolved by staying firmly entrench in past failed policies. Sorry Christy, but I think the great ideas your folks have presented won't ever get off the ground as long as the union is involved.
Sad but true. And as always Lambert leaves out two important "stakeholder" groups - students and taxpayers.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Actually, this is what the government should be working on,
until the election is over:

http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/2013 ... yed-nerves

The 10 year nonsense is a waste of time.
NOT TO MENTION THAT THE GOVERNMENT LEFT OUT any CONSULTATION WITH TEACHERS AND THE UNION.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

George+ wrote:Actually, this is what the government should be working on,
    until the election is over:

http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/2013 ... yed-nerves

The 10 year nonsense is a waste of time.
    NOT TO MENTION THAT THE GOVERNMENT LEFT OUT any CONSULTATION WITH TEACHERS AND THE UNION.
There's the opportunity to consult right now but since Lambert shoots down every single initiative from the government what's the point? The current system is terrible for kids and while I realize that's not the main concern of the union it's the main concern of mine. Teachers need to be treated fairly but students shouldn't have their education disrupted by labour disputes. Work to rule campaigns, withholding report cards, refusing to honour commitments already made to coach teams . . . none of these things are in the best interests of students so this is not all about Susan Lambert and her union. It's about the kids - or at least it should be about the kids.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Would it not be wise to consult BEFORE pushing the proposal??

Isn't class size and composition about kids?

There even seems to be a threat of imposing this nonsense.
Good for an immediate strike BEFORE the election.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

George+ wrote:Would it not be wise to consult BEFORE pushing the proposal??

Isn't class size and composition about kids?

There even seems to be a threat of imposing this nonsense.
    Good for an immediate strike BEFORE the election.
The government is consulting everyone right now but since you and the BCTF call everything that comes from the government "nonsense" there really isn't much point in talking to the union. Yes, class size and composition are about kids and that's why we need to get away from the counter-productive one size fits all rules that make it more difficult to get the resources where they're needed. You union guys need to broaden your horizons and start thinking about the kids for a change. As for the strike I'd say go for it George. A teachers' strike right before the election would be a terrific idea.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Consult with whom George, useless retired unrealistic old farts such as yourself? The more you post the more one has to wonder who exactly it is that you share the other half of your brain with.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

You know, it may be time for the employer to say "*bleep*, here's how it's going to be, don't like it, there's the door."

There comes a time when the employer really needs to stand up for their own rights. I think that time is now.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I'd go so far as to say that time came quite a while back, but standing up for the tax payer, and their children, finally, would be very welcome. Better late than never, one can only hope.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Go for it.
I'm sure you will get the same reaction
As to the 10 year contract.

Brainless.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 16th, 2014, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack

Return to “Social Concerns”