You're the one jaywalking... don't yell at me!

Home of the traffic rant.
Kaezy

You're the one jaywalking... don't yell at me!

Post by Kaezy »

So there is no debating that Kelowna drivers are terrible.
But the pedestrians can be just as reckless!

It's not as if I don't jay-walk. It can be done safely. But the past two days while driving home from work,We've nearly killed some idiot in running across the middle of the road x__x

Yesterday right turned off spall heading downtown on Harvey, some lady was dragging a granny shopping cart across the middle of the highway about 30 meters away from the crosswalk at Spall, near the end of the gas station. I was trying to get to the far left lane to turn, and didn't see her till i was merging and pulling beside the car that was blocking her (and didnt really see her either cuz they slowed down in a hurry)

Today a crazy old man was screamed at me because he was jay-walking in the dark, wearing all black, just not even 10 meters away from the actual cross walk. We were turning right onto Richter from Springfield and the house on the corner obstructs the view. We're looking left obviously because we're merging into traffic. He's in the middle of the lane, and instead of hurrying across, he slows down and puts his hand up at us and shuffles across.... WHAT???? If he had just kept walking he'd have been out of the way before we'd even turned fully.

I'm sorry but if you're too lazy to walk to the nearest cross walk (<10 meters away) and safely cross the street, I should not have to worry about you running in-front of my giant truck!!!! I have enough to worry about, on the road, with all the other idiots in giant trucks!! >__<;;;;

Why do people put themselves in this danger?

I find the stretch of Sutherland between Gordon and Capri st where the Extra Foods is to be just terrible.
Does anyone else have terrible memories of nearly killing someone down the street????

Tiny, congested, road. With very accessible crosswalks on either side, and NO REASON to jay walk - I'm sorry, but under no circumstances do you need to RUSH to the pro-life thrift store within 10 seconds of doing your groceries...
unless you're a crack-head going to shoot up behind that creepy parking lot, you can put in the extra effort to walk to one of the nearest crosswalks less then 1 minute away on either side.
This road is bad enough with all the impatient people trying to cut across a solid line, in front of oncoming traffic, to get into the mall parking lot! Do not need to deal with idiots darting in front cars.
ESPECIALLY if you'rerunning in-front of the bus you just got off x____x
I'm sure it pisses the bus drive off as much as it pisses off the people who are driving and can't see you from behind the bus....

TLDR; Jay walkers are stupid. Wait till there are no cars, or walk to the cross walk - not hard and so much safer for all of us! Discuss.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: You're the one jaywalking...Don't yell at me!!

Post by Fancy »

No laws in Kelowna against jaywalking - I witnessed earlier someone holding up his hand while crossing against a red so he could cross (at an intersection). Cars stopped. Really??? What happened to karma?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
maxx
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by maxx »

If a jaywalker yells at you after a 'near miss', just yell back: "STOP INVENTING CROSSWALKS!!!"
Scadam
Übergod

Post by Scadam »

I saw a similar dummy yesterday on Hwy97 passing the mall. He was maybe 10 meters from the Cooper Road intersection and chose to walk across the Highway instead. Then he was stuck on the median with rush hour traffic blocking all remaining lanes. What is it about seeing a break in traffic that causes peoples brains to shut down. Instead of continuing to the crosswalk he saw a nice big break in the northbound traffic and started across, without a thought for the OTHER HALF of the highway. It was almost comical seeing him figure this out as he stood on the median looking at the sea of cars (stopped for the moment). Then he darted through the traffic and was lucky the driver he picked to walk ion front of (green light by now) in the HOV lane was paying attention and saw this putz coming out between the cars to his left before he hit the gas.

That news piece on CHBC about how jaywalking is not illegal in Kelowna was just a bad idea. I wonder how many people think that means pedestrians now have the right of way to jump in front of traffic. Jaywalking is simply crossing a street mid-block. That's it. So there's no law against that here, whatever, who cares if someone crosses a quiet street when nobody is around. That does NOT mean that pedestrians can legally step into a roadway when its not clear. From the motor vehicle act:

Crossing at other than crosswalk
180 When a pedestrian is crossing a highway at a point not in a crosswalk, the pedestrian must yield the right of way to a vehicle.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

I particularly love the ones who yell at you for driving past before they're anywhere near the curb, or when there's no one behind you for blocks, or even when they've just finished crossing one street (moving parallel to you) and are still in the middle of turning to cross the street you're on (perpendicularly). Why do they assume cars will stop for any idiot who is anywhere remotely near the street?
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
maxx
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by maxx »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS8YyDp47pc

Everyone seems to deal with it in Naples........
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: You're the one jaywalking... don't yell at me!

Post by kgcayenne »

Everyone looks so calm.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The fix for jaywalkers is bigger bumpers... :127:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md99WmB2o2U

taken from top of the Arc de Triomphe - jaywalking across that isn't for the faint of heart
Last edited by Fancy on Jan 25th, 2013, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
maxx
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by maxx »

kgcayenne wrote:Everyone looks so calm.

The are calm...I've experience this place first-hand. The trick is being committed to crossing the street (as a pedestrian or driver) - don't dare hesitate because the cars and scooters are aiming for where you were, not where you're going if that makes sense.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Turning circle at it's finest!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Kaezy

Post by Kaezy »

Fancy wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md99WmB2o2U

taken from top of the Arc de Triomphe - jaywalking across that isn't for the faint of heart

You weren't kidding!!!
I nearly had a heart attack x__x that was horrific

Tonight on the way home...
At Extra foods (how predictable) a HUGE lady decided she was going to stop oncoming traffic and waddle across the road....srsly she could have used the exercise and walked to the crosswalk, but no. She held up two lanes of 4:00 traffic on a friday instead.

WHY???

I just know I'm going to kill someone one of these days and that horrifies me more then watching french people drive X__X
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Yesterday morning i came over the bridge into Kelowna and then slowed right up indicators on to turn into the Chevron gas station but a guy was stood right in the entrance waiting to cross Harvey! He saw me stop as i had no choice i couldn't turn in he was stood in my way and then he nodded to thank me and started to cross, never mind the other cars in the other 2 lanes and the one who shot out from behind me into the middle lane. This guy was on a death wish yet probably thought he was in the right and all this smack bang in the middle of 2 sets of crosswalks that were seconds away!!!!
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Fancy wrote:No laws in Kelowna against jaywalking - I witnessed earlier someone holding up his hand while crossing against a red so he could cross (at an intersection). Cars stopped. Really??? What happened to karma?

Darwin is in charge of Karma, he has a little booth at the Pearly Gates where he hands out the awards.
Black Dogs Matter
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

dogspoiler wrote:
Darwin is in charge of Karma, he has a little booth at the Pearly Gates where he hands out the awards.

People a dying for their chance to wait in line.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”