Channel Crossing Shopping Center

twobits
Guru

Re: Channel Crossing Shopping Center

Post by twobits »

-fluffy- wrote:Does "$63K average household income" sound accurate?

Income before tax
Married-couple families
Penticton: 60,453 CAD
Census agglomerations' average: 69,430 CAD
British Columbia: 69,207 CAD

Common-law-couple families
Penticton: 49,347 CAD
Census agglomerations' average: 58,952 CAD
British Columbia: 62,202 CAD

Lone-parent families
Penticton: 32,848 CAD
Census agglomerations' average: 33,554 CAD
Province: 35,437 CAD

Female lone-parent families
Penticton: 30,555 CAD
Census agglomerations' average: 30,930 CAD
British Columbia: 33,592 CAD

Male lone-parent families
Here: 43,685 CAD
Census agglomerations' average: 46,522 CAD
British Columbia: 45,332 CAD

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/canada/Pentict ... z1ktG1X4Hv
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
LightShine

Post by LightShine »

Everyone needs to shake their we heads and take a deep breathe here. The ones who are going to make the dough are the investors, the ones buying up the retail space.
If you dont believe me use due dilligence and do the research.
Here are the key elements:
Check out Project Development Group and who heads it up..check the CV
Look for The Lippo Group
Then find out who are the Lippo Group
What are they known for
Look up ChinaGate and the Bill Clinton campaign finance scandal
John Huang and his friends
And what then, was the outcome of that schmozzle..you will be amazed!

China has a vested interest in surreptitiously owning vast portions of Canadian Commercial and Residential Real Estate as well as fundamental resources such as mining, timber and oil.

and we are letting this happen without questioning all this!
ogopogo90

Post by ogopogo90 »

I see that they placed a new leasing sign, replacing the other one.
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

To my Buddies on the other side of the river (yes, I mean the City of Penticton residents);
Since this thread has begun, some very interesting things have happened. Landmark cinemas have opened a new facility in the city's tax base and The Great Canadian Superstore has moved into the old Zeller's building. The Penticton Indian Band has reelected Chief John Kruger. These are the things that, as residents of the city, you know. As a resident of the Penticton Indian Band I know some things that are happening over here that you may not know. It's ok that you don't know it....just let it be. You don't know everything that happens in OKFalls and you don't seem too worried about that so don't sweat what happens over here. We have a community consultative process underway that ensures informed, respectful development for the benefit of generations yet to come, not wallets that want filling (this was highlighted in the local paper, and it's a five year process). So when a sign goes up or rumors start swirling, just take a deep breath and wait for the shovels to hit the ground, if they don't, our development teams are pausing for good reason. Our surrounding communities build, destroy, rebuild, destroy, or a common position is to build, close down, leave the building empty, build the SAME BOX two blocks away. If you support a civic government that promotes that direction, that is your business, our community isn't coming over there and telling you what you should be doing. Our communities working together could move forward in a responsible manner that addresses the needs of a majority of our residents. Unfortunately, it would seems that we are all stuck in the sandbox of the past and still have an 'Us and Them' mentality. Only we, the people, can tell our local governments how we want them to proceed. Until the time we can stand together, they will maintain the status quo because that is what they were elected to do.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

Any development on the PIB lands will require some level of co-operation with Penticton's elected officials. My understanding is that there has been vast improvement in communication between 'your' community and the city of Penticton. If people are curious about what is going on ... it is possible that they are very supportive of the PIB and their need to develop where and how they think best. Not everyone sees it as them and us ... I'm sure you are interested what goes on over here (and are well informed through the media). People over here are just as interested in what their neighbors are doing ... it isn't always a bad thing that people are curious. If some would rather not see the PIB developments succeed ... they are fools.
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

Glassmaster, just how did the Penticton Indian Band have to have support from the City of Penticton for the new Outma Squilxw cultural school? Just how did the City support the new Footprints Youth building or the new Littlepaws Daycare Center? How is the City supporting our developments now? I think it would be great to create a forum for us to share ideas in a respectful way, are you interested?
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

The last thing that I am trying to do is be disrespectful. I just think that co-operation is a far better alternative than the whole 'you and us' approach. I'm sure that there are great things being done in your community ... and I am supportive/happy about any and all things that have been achieved. I was merely referring to any of the larger developments that your people may want to do ... perhaps I am wrong to assume that you would need to co-operate with non-First Nations developers and local government to make those things happen. You don't need to be defensive ... I am not the enemy.
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

Glassmaster; I have read through all ten pages of this topic and I have seen many posts that would indicate the people residing in the city do not understand the process. The input or consultation required from the city is nil. The developers are non-First Nations yes, guess how many live here in Penticton or even the surrounding area. The local governments are not required as part of the process at all. It is the ministry of transportation and highways (for road amendments). The remainder of the 'approval' process is solely with the Penticton Indian Band community members and the Federal Government. Our deal was signed with the City of Penticton on the sewer / water plant and that is the most we have been able to accomplish. The communication has increased yes, but only as far as reporters are publishing stories. There is no joint task force on community relations. As far as I know, there is no desire from the City of Penticton community to engage in one.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

The sewer/water plant agreement is huge ... without it ... the costs would be significantly higher. You would need to build your own system at huge cost. You shouldn't minimize the importance of co-operation with the City of Penticton. As you have admitted, you will also be partnering with non-First Nations developers. It doesn't matter if they live in Penticton (nobody would expect that to be the case) ... but they are non-First Nations that you will need to co-operate with. Business and Development is always a co-operation. It is not a sign of weakness to partner and work with others ..... it is what will make you successful.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

glassmaster wrote: As you have admitted, you will also be partnering with non-First Nations developers....It is not a sign of weakness to partner and work with others ..... it is what will make you successful.

True. Projects as ambitious as the Channel Crossing Shopping Center and the Arrowleaf Development need money and expertise that the PIB does not have alone. The money these projects will make for the band will be the real payoff when it's translated into more facilities and opportunities for band members.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

Glassmaster;
I believe I know where the misunderstanding is that is causing some confusion.
glassmaster wrote:Any development on the PIB lands will require some level of co-operation with Penticton's elected officials.

Taken from your position here I was strictly referring to elected city officials, I was not referring to the entire city of Penticton population. When I mention the City of Penticton,I don't mean everyone that lives across the river, I mean the city mayor and council, your civic government. So you were talking about all non-reserve residents, mainly developers and trades people. When I said PIB does not require City of Penticton support, I am actually saying that we do not need permits or licensing issued by the city (y'know going into the court house, standing in line, that kind of support). IMO the majority of all V2A XXX residents would rather see positive communication and support of all environmentally responsible economic development. I would encourage all Non-Aboriginal Business Groups to approach the Penticton Indian Band Development Corporation to start engaging in opportunities. In order for that to happen we would need the Federal Government to either assist us or get the hell out of the way. Our communities are on two sides of a big mountain(Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development), we know you're over there so we're tunneling through the mountain to get to you, but we only have a spoon. If only you knew we were over here, you would use your big tunnel drill and soon enough we'd be able to share resources. As a resident of the Penticton Indian Band I am proud that we have a national award winning Elementary school, a pioneer private post-secondary school and a kick as* gravel pit just to name a few of our recent developments. The Okanagan Nation Alliance Fisheries Department will be building soon on the lower reserve. The more our two communities can support each other both publicly and politically the more developers and tourists will bring the economy to the Okanagan. That's the valley we all want our kids to live in.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

The biggest stumbling block with this development is the fact that it would have to have another exit (entrance) other than just the bridge over the channel. As of right now, no one is willing to give a variance to allow that. The Airport won't as they gave some land years ago for the parking lot/ access to the mobile home park on the East side of the airport. The locatee who owns land on the north side has said no, and the mill doesn't have an area to put it in, so, until somebody relents, this development can't proceed.

Return to “Central Okanagan”