No suite deal

mexi cali
Guru

No suite deal

Post by mexi cali »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#86626

I would like to hear thoughts about this story.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: no suite deal

Post by Captain Awesome »

You gotta love this Oscar Wilde worthy headline.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Only on Castanet.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

I read the article and all I could take from it is :

"We don't want poor people in our neighborhood".
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

That's an insult to poor people. I've seen poor people take great pride in their surroundings.

I don't know anyone who wants slobs for neighbours, though. Those types come in all income brackets.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

kgcayenne wrote:That's an insult to poor people. I've seen poor people take great pride in their surroundings.

I don't know anyone who wants slobs for neighbours, though. Those types come in all income brackets.

...but they paid for these NICE HOMES in this NICE AREA.

...and then you have these "renters" coming in. You just *know* they are using drugs...ect ect. Proof?

She isn't saying "clean up the yard". She is saying "no secondary suites".

While Sweeney says this particular house invites people residents don't want in the neighbourhood, she believes the secondary suite policy aimed at densification will hurt neighbourhoods like hers throughout the municipality.

"Basically, it's not safe for the kids. We don't have sidewalks here and kids have to walk down the middle of the streets."

So no secondary suites because "kids have to walk on the street?" What about drugs? Which is it lady?

Or are you looking for justification for your NIMBY attitude?

When houses cost over half a million dollars - get used to having secondary suites around.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Sounds like she should have moved to Gallaghers.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Of those that have commented, how many of you are home owners? I don't blame this lady one bit and good for her for fighting for her neighbourhood! I own my own home and the house next door has been a rental for most of the 10 years that we have lived here and now it is a quasi rental as the owner works out of town and has friends living there and he comes home to visit. Now the owner and his buddies are all great guys and very respectful. However, the dead lawn with the trucks parked on it, a house in disrepair and the junk in the backyard is not going to in anyway add to my property value! I hope for the day when someone buys this house, waters the lawn and gives it some TLC. I work hard to maintain my mortgage and the condition of my home and property why should someones lack of caring be allowed to depreciate what I have work so hard for? For the most part, renters are not interested in maintaining landscapes of the properties they rent and it is not their problem if the house needs a new coat of paint. As always this isn't a Tennant issue, it is a Landlord issue and Landlords need to be held accountable when it comes to the maintenance of the properties they rent out, until then, not on my street, thank you very much!
shankari2
Fledgling

Post by shankari2 »

TreeGuy wrote:...... As always this isn't a Tennant issue, it is a Landlord issue and Landlords need to be held accountable when it comes to the maintenance of the properties they rent out, until then, not on my street, thank you very much!

I agree, well said. I think the home owner, objecting to the legalizing of the suite, also alluded to this, saying that it was the absence of the home owner which was the problem. Unfortunately the municipality claims it cannot address this issue. I think it can but is choosing not to because it may be complicated and difficult! :skippingsheep:
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

When we bought our home 12 years ago our first check was that all the homes were
owner occupied.
Since then 7 houses have sold and become rentals.
4 of those are owned by one person who lives locally.
Very little issue as he stays on top of the yards and such himself.
The others are owned by people that live elswhere and these
places are an emberassment and a constant source of issues for
the entire neighbourhood.
I agree with the complainent. If the owner can not be on hand
or
hire a property manager to be on hand to, paint,mow,weed,etc....NO SUITE!!
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

ick

It always makes me cringe when people belly ache about what the guy next door does with his yard or how many things he has around or on his lawn.

What business is it of yours what your neighbor has or does, so long as it doesn't affect the health or safety of others in the immediate vicinity?
Some people are much less worried about making their yard/lawn look good for the snob across the street, and more concerned with living a healthy, balanced and enjoyable life.
If their balance means they have big muddy trucks, or a team of quads and atv's around the yard, or a collection of rust heaps up on blocks...then so be it.
If you want your property value to increase...do what you have to with your property to make that happen, but to control what others can or cannot do with their yard or home is absolutely ludicrous.
I only wish I had the room...I'd have a fleet of taurus wagons and mid 80's caddies up on blocks just as a place to grow my vegetables.
Anyone know where I can find a mid 70's AMC Pacer?
Great greenhouses...add a sunroof, pop some mozart in the 8 track deck and you'll reap the best tomatoes you've ever smoked....I mean eaten.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I must clarify my position.
I'm not against living life .
I am against the disrespect of the entire neighbourhood with speeding vehicles,all
manner of litter up and down the street with an obvious connection to the litter strewn properties.
Broken fences that never get repaired, a door that got ripped of it's hinges a year ago that still lays in
what once was a flower bed.a broken window, been that way for at least as long.
The one place that was nicely landscaped and manicured has now been turned into
a rutted muddy mess from parking on it.
I have plenty of vehicles in my yard, a camper (old) a small boat (even older)
but...there needs to be certain balance AND RESPECT.

None shown to the property, the neighbourhood, the city or the planet.
you should be able to appreciate why I would say NO
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

TreeGuy wrote:Of those that have commented, how many of you are home owners? I don't blame this lady one bit and good for her for fighting for her neighbourhood! I own my own home and the house next door has been a rental for most of the 10 years that we have lived here and now it is a quasi rental as the owner works out of town and has friends living there and he comes home to visit. Now the owner and his buddies are all great guys and very respectful. However, the dead lawn with the trucks parked on it, a house in disrepair and the junk in the backyard is not going to in anyway add to my property value! I hope for the day when someone buys this house, waters the lawn and gives it some TLC. I work hard to maintain my mortgage and the condition of my home and property why should someones lack of caring be allowed to depreciate what I have work so hard for? For the most part, renters are not interested in maintaining landscapes of the properties they rent and it is not their problem if the house needs a new coat of paint. As always this isn't a Tennant issue, it is a Landlord issue and Landlords need to be held accountable when it comes to the maintenance of the properties they rent out, until then, not on my street, thank you very much!

How do you know it is the renters responsibility to maintain the yard? I understand what you are saying but until Kelowna has some by laws the rental homes will fall into disrepair.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

dirtybiker wrote:<snip>...
there needs to be certain balance AND RESPECT...<snip>...
you should be able to appreciate why I would say NO

Yep.
(holding out a large bright red tomato)
Care for a tomato?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Graham Adder wrote:Yep.
(holding out a large bright red tomato)
Care for a tomato?

Cough,cough, thanks...I mean...

YES, if you could turn it into nice spicey salsa first please..

Return to “Central Okanagan”