Do your pedals confuse you?

Home of the traffic rant.
my5cents
Guru

Re: Do your pedals confuse you?

Post by my5cents »

P_J_Manning wrote:That's a joke right!
Drivers education in this country is very poor, it's so easy to get a licence, and it's treated as a right, and not privilege/responsibility.

If you think it's only seniors who are bad, you are deluding yourself. (Just watch CWD8!)

But on topic, I am one of these people who think we should be retested when we get to a certain age, and then again at regular intervals after that.
We should also be tested after major life changing illnesses, such as strokes, head trauma etc, that can impair you, and your reactions

The OSMV does require testing as you get older. As well, a doctor has to verify you are fit to driver (not sure of the age). Perhaps it's not at a young enough age and not as frequently as it should be.

As for life changing illnesses. If you suffer one, your doctor is required to advise the OSMV, it's the law.

Also your family can report a family member and they will be retested. Downside there, however, with the FOI Act, likely grampa can find out who ratted him out.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
P_J_Manning

Post by P_J_Manning »

my5cents wrote:The OSMV does require testing as you get older. As well, a doctor has to verify you are fit to driver (not sure of the age). Perhaps it's not at a young enough age and not as frequently as it should be.

As for life changing illnesses. If you suffer one, your doctor is required to advise the OSMV, it's the law.

Also your family can report a family member and they will be retested. Downside there, however, with the FOI Act, likely grampa can find out who ratted him out.

I'm happy that it's in place, but in practice it probably doesn't work.
There are way to many people driving who shouldn't, so obviously they have 'slipped the net' somehow.

I know it opens up the whole 'ageism' can of worms, but I know that if I get that impaired I would want someone to stop me, before I kill someone.

In the UK the system is that at retirement age, you need to get your doctor to fill in a form to say that they think you are still fit to drive, and then after that every three years you can self certify!
This is a total joke, as most GPs are so busy, they get you to fill in the form, and they just sign it.
Then self cert!
Such a bad system, and as a result there are a lot of older drivers causing problems on the road.
At least the system there is such, that when you do mess up, and are brought to the attention of the police, you will lose your licence.
HoboJo
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by HoboJo »

The pedal confused should show competence on a stick shift whithout synchromesh. A tour of the parking lot and (If they show promise) a quick trip around the block.

All others should have to drive electric vehicles (or scooters).
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

OOPS, IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!!

:runforlife:
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#86629

It was a confusing morning for the female driver of a silver Nissan when she crashed into the back door of Wine Kitz in Orchard Plaza.

The owner of the business says the incident happened around 11:15 a.m. when a woman attempted to pull into a parking space in front of the store.

He believes the driver hit the gas instead of the brake – this fact was later backed up by officers at the scene, who say there was nothing mechanically wrong with the vehicle.

The driver did not sustain any injuries and will not be issued any tickets for driving infractions.

Wine Kitz is insured and the glass door will soon be replaced.

It was a close call for the owner and a friend, who were sitting outside the same door having coffee only minutes before the accident took place.

Good thing she didn't have a few drinks and then just pulled into the stall WITHOUT crashing into anything, then there would be hell to pay! Again, more proof that they're not so much interested in getting bad drivers off the road as they are getting drivers off the road who might blow a .06. I'm not saying they shouldn't target impaired drivers, but equal bad driving by someone impaired and someone sober will always have the same result as far as injury or death.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It was a parking lot wasn't it?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

No ticket? Unbelievable! I hope the person who did it reads my comment. PLEASE TURN IN YOUR LICENCE TO DRIVE, YOU ARE NOT CAPABLE ANYMORE. Its a good thing you didn't KILL SOMEONE. Oops, I'm so sorry, you still have another leg and one eye.

Does anyone else have something to say to this person?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

There should be a fine for driving with 2 left feet!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Lots of incidents like this don't result in tickets.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Fancy wrote:Lots of incidents like this don't result in tickets.

Why not?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
HP
Board Meister

Post by HP »

I wonder if pedal confusion has anything to do with people driving one foot on the brake and one on the gas? I saw somebody doing it once and then gave it some think and decided against it because I figured I'd get it screwed up one day and put my car through a window or something...
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

HP wrote:I wonder if pedal confusion has anything to do with people driving one foot on the brake and one on the gas? I saw somebody doing it once and then gave it some think and decided against it because I figured I'd get it screwed up one day and put my car through a window or something...

refer to thread title.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
xlauvawke
Board Meister

Post by xlauvawke »

HP wrote:I wonder if pedal confusion has anything to do with people driving one foot on the brake and one on the gas? I saw somebody doing it once and then gave it some think and decided against it because I figured I'd get it screwed up one day and put my car through a window or something...

that's how you do a burnout in an automatic :spinball:
My name is John, my opinion is my own and no other.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Yeah kind of unbelievable that it happened again and yet again seems to pass with no real condemnation from the RCMP.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It sounds like it was on private property and no one was hurt. The damage will be covered.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”