When is the last time Okanagan Lake froze over?

GenesisGT
Guru

Re: When is the last time Okanagan Lake froze over?

Post by GenesisGT »

Found the following website which has a bunch of pictures of the freeze over in 1950.

There are more pictures at

http://www.museevirtuel-virtualmuseum.ca/sgc-cms/histoires_de_chez_nous-community_memories/pm_v2.php?id=record_detail&fl=0&lg=English&ex=00000427&hs=0&rd=155527
Attachments
okanagan lake.JPG
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Judging by those pictures, it looks like the lake also froze in 68/69.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

We moved into the valley from the maritimes in the summer of 1969 and I do remember the lake frozen completely very early in our time here, '69 would make sense. There was a real cold one in the early nineties as well, I remember Skaha Lake frozen over completely and the south end of Okanagan Lake frozen as far north as Trout Creek but I don't think it froze completely.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Where the bridge is, it has frozen over several times in the last 50 years.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
spigot52

Post by spigot52 »

I remember the winter of '71 the lake froze, other than the channel kept open by the tug and barge.
So if not for those daily trips to Peachland, it would have frozen over completely.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I notice that the winters of 06/07 and 68/69 were very similar. If 06/07 did indeed freeze over, then 68/69 would have been close at least. I suppose how sustained the cold front is and how long it lasts that determines how much the lake freezes.

Historical records for Vernon during historically cold years:
    Winter of 1906/07:
      Average temperature = -7.23; Minimum temperature = -31.1; Number of days below -20 = 18
    Winter of 1928/29:
      Average temperature = -8.03; Minimum temperature = -30.0; Number of days below -20 = 16
    Winter of 1949/50:
      Average temperature = -8.73; Minimum temperature = -35.6; Number of days below -20 = 24
    Winter of 1968/69:
      Average temperature = -8.63; Minimum temperature = -38.9; Number of days below -20 = 15

For what it's worth, the lake I grew up on up in the Cariboo has only ever frozen over once in my lifetime (1997), but the old timers (RIP) used to to talk about it freezing before my time such as in 1969 and 1950.

I have to say, there is nothing like skating on a lake of clear glass 3 km wide and 20 km long!

"The cold winter in 1949-50 killed many soft fruit trees. Many of the orchards were never replanted after that winter. The industry continued its decline to the present day. Only a few commercial orchards now remain in Peachland a century after J.M. Robinson incorporated the town. "

"Okanagan Lake seldom froze and the last time it froze completely end to end was 1949-50. Many winters found some ice in various locations but it is commonly known that the lake in the 20th Century only froze completely, twice, in 1906 and 1949. After the lake froze over temperatures plummeted and severe winter damage occurred to the soft fruit trees: peaches, cherries, apricots. The soft fruit industry never recovered to its former abundance after 1949-50."

"In the winter of 1949-50, Okanagan Lake froze over completely. The ice was so thick ( approximately 20 cm) that cars were able to drive upon it. At times, even planes took off on the frozen lake. It was recorded that brave and determined souls successfully drove a car and pulled a skier behind them while a motorcycle was lost to a break in the ice while trying to do the same thing. It was much colder than in winters past. In 1949-50, soft fruit trees such as peach trees suffered significant winter kill. The picture is located where Renfrew Road north meets Highway 97."
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

I seem to recall 86/87 being mega cold, we skated all over the lake including out front of City Park and off of Hobson by the sailing club. All up and down the shore and out quite a ways without being concerned of ice thickness, not quite frozen across but it was pretty decent.
Sure do love Rutland!!
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

I remember being WAY the heck out on the the ice off of Gyro Beach in "86 or so .
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

The lake has never frozen over completely in my lifetime, that's for sure. I remember a few years ago there was solid ice inside the Yacht Club and along Poplar Point Road. The entire shoreline was frozen and the ice reached at least 30 feet from shore. Both ends of Okanagan Lake froze completely over as well. Most of the ice only lasted a few days before it warmed up considerably. Thats the most ice I've ever seen the lake, but I hope I can see the lake freeze over at least once.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

1978 the lake was frozen solid from Knox mountain to the bridge and roughly the same distance from the bridge south.
I do know people that lived on Jennens rd. in Westside since the 40's, they told me they used to play hockey and could walk across the lake in front of their house .
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

Two days ago I resurrected a thread called "Old Kelowna Pictures" in the grab bag area with pics of the lake frozen over from 1958 or so... might interests you.

To get 20cm of ice the Okanagan must have been EXTREMELY cold back then.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Takes a lot to go over the entire lake, or at least a long time of 15-20 (weeks I would think) -40 snap might work for a week, but I don't recall it ever getting that cold here the last 20 years.

At first I thought this also sounded like a thread about when Vancouver Canucks last won the cup but.....the lake has actually froze over, just not heck. (sorry couldn't resist)
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

Veovis wrote:Takes a lot to go over the entire lake, or at least a long time of 15-20 (weeks I would think) -40 snap might work for a week, but I don't recall it ever getting that cold here the last 20 years.

At first I thought this also sounded like a thread about when Vancouver Canucks last won the cup but.....the lake has actually froze over, just not heck. (sorry couldn't resist)

Yeah, I guess Global Warming has affected the Canucks as well as the environment. I remember a foot of snow October 31 back in the late '60's early '70's.
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
bh
Fledgling

Post by bh »

My dog chased blocks of ice all over a frozen Gellatly Bay somewhere around 1988-1990. I remember it was incredibly cold, I had to carry him home!
Big Bacardi
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Big Bacardi »

i remember once as a young child, the lake froze prolly 77-84 time frame.

i remember it being a big deal, we even did a report on it in elementary school...... i went to martin elem
You may think I'm dumb...But I ain't so smart.....but i am smart enuf to know how to spell corrictley!!!....I sure wish others culd spel. The graamar by other postars truly sux!

Return to “Central Okanagan”