Teacher bargaining

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Teacher bargaining

Post by Urbane »

George+ wrote:If you don't like the answer, do something about it.
And that's the answer you give when you know that you have no real answer. Of course it's not the expense of democracy that stops the BCTF from allowing teachers to vote on their leadership. All of us on here know that the BCTF radicals want to keep the status quo with only the delegates to the AGM being allowed to vote because that gives them the best chance to keep running the show. And the guys running the show wouldn't even let the delegates vote on whether or not to allow everyone a vote! That's totally undemocratic and yet you have the gaul to suggest that the BCTF is one of the most democratic unions around. Rubbish! And even you know it's rubbish.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Your piety is showing, again, Urbane.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Why not have a go, at trying to organize some teachers for the Spring AGM
and seeing what you can do. Grass roots.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Another "non-answer" from George. The teachers need to take back their own union and I'd be in favour of legislation that mandates democratic elections within unions that members are forced to join as a condition of employment. And as I've said previously I think that membership in the BCTF for teachers should be voluntary.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

If you don't like the answer, do something about it.

join me feb 14 th boycott work and school to protest teacher goonion
Peace be with you.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

So, Urbane. What are you doing to push for legislation?
Teachers already voted about 90% to have a union.
Each one of them.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Same methods as used in electing executives no doubt.

Also some time back too! Feelings have changed.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

It seems pretty elementary to me that teachers should have the right to elect their executive. It'll be hard to change the present system unless the executive members change their mind and allow the right to vote to be voted upon. Or unless teachers rise up and absolutely demand the right to vote. How un-democratic can you get? The members can't even get a vote at the AGM on being allowed to vote for the executive. As I say, teachers need to take back their union. Right now it's all about the leaders and those leaders are not serving the best interests of teachers. And we should be considering the best interests of students as well but they're apparently way down on the list of priorities. Pity.

As to teachers back in the 1980's voting to unionize that was because Vander Zalm did not provide a viable contract resolution process for the non-union option. His proposal left teachers scratching their heads and it appears that the Zalm really wanted teachers in unions for some reason. Some speculate that he disliked teachers and knew that if they were in unions, running around with picket signs, and engaging in various job actions the public would view them less favourably. That's certainly been the case so maybe those people are on to something.
Last edited by Urbane on Jan 31st, 2013, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

The numbers make no sense to me either. How many people do we have running the BC government, and they need 36 administrators to look after 40,000 teachers? Can't one person add up the payday take and make a run to the bank? :D
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:The numbers make no sense to me either. How many people do we have running the BC government, and they need 36 administrators to look after 40,000 teachers? Can't one person add up the payday take and make a run to the bank? :D

No, the numbers make no sense. Time for teachers to start asking questions and demanding answers.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Urbane wrote:No, the numbers make no sense. Time for teachers to start asking questions and demanding answers.

Darn right they should be asking questions, Penticton's population is just barely above that amount of people and they don't have 36 people when you count all the councilors, and mayor, and they have a lot more to be accountable for than just putting union dues in the bank, and whining for the camera on a regular basis. I'm sure their elected officials don't make the same take home pay either.

That's quite the gig, where does one apply? :D
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

If you ask or look back through BCTF AGM resolutions, you will see that members have tried to
have the executive voted for by each BCTF member. These resolutions have been defeated because it would
increase member fees and usually produces about the same result as rep. voting.

However, persuade your disgruntled teachers, for this year's AGM and give it a try, again.

My understanding from teachers I know, is that some members of the exec. HAVE supported this
in past resolutions but it is voted down by the rep members for the reasons stated above.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

See Coquitlam/Comox resolution in this Newsletter re online voting:
http://www.coquitlamteachers.com/suppor ... a-2012.pdf

You would have to find someone with access to the RA minutes to see what
happened to these resolutions.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

George+ wrote:If you ask or look back through BCTF AGM resolutions, you will see that members have tried to
have the executive voted for by each BCTF member. These resolutions have been defeated because it would
increase member fees and usually produces about the same result as rep. voting.

However, persuade your disgruntled teachers, for this year's AGM and give it a try, again.

My understanding from teachers I know, is that some members of the exec. HAVE supported this
in past resolutions but it is voted down by the rep members for the reasons stated above.

Once again Georeg, if the BCTF were to stop giving their members' money away to the NDP, then there would be more than enough money in the coffers to have democratic voting without raising union dues. It's such a simple formula, even you should be able to understand it.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Proof?

And I note that teacher's do not even elect BCTF local execs. by
one member vote. They have to attend a General Meeting
and actually listen to the presentations/debate.

Want to tackle this one, too, Urbane?

Return to “Social Concerns”