Does it make more sense to pipe the oil east?

NAB
Buddha of the Board

Does it make more sense to pipe the oil east?

Post by NAB »

"Producers back TransCanada’s plan to pipe oil east"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in ... le7932658/

"New Brunswick premier uses annual speech to promote national pipeline"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... le8095664/
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Does it make more sense to pipe the oil east?

Post by xjeepguy »

Please reread rules for posting in Regional forums and repost - Jennylives
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Now were cookin with gas .Better than shipping out of country,
Peace be with you.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

I think it makes a lot of sense to ship our oil east. Just waiting to see how many penthouses full of co-eds David Suzuki has to go through before he finds a way to milk more government cash complaining about it.
Not afraid to say "It".
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Hey, I'm all in for that. Don't really care which direction it goes as long as it gets to market. Funny though how it is somehow OK to pipe it over eastern lands but not west because we all know it is just a matter of when not if a rupture happens.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

twobits wrote:Hey, I'm all in for that. Don't really care which direction it goes as long as it gets to market. Funny though how it is somehow OK to pipe it over eastern lands but not west because we all know it is just a matter of when not if a rupture happens.

Seems like a lot of NIMBYism, doesn't it? Or, more likely, there are just certain factions that want to support the NDP's snap decision to oppose the western route before all the facts were in, at any cost to the economy. I'm more apt to believe the latter.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

kibbs wrote:Now were cookin with gas .Better than shipping out of country,

You should have actually read the links that nab provided before you posted. The idea is to still access world markets and also ensure world prices are obtained for the product.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

You should have actually read the links that nab provided before you posted. The idea is to still access world markets and also ensure world prices are obtained for the product.

still think it should be refined and produced here if at all.
Peace be with you.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

kibbs wrote:still think it should be refined and produced here if at all.

If at all? Any thoughts on how we will pay for healthcare and education then, if at all?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

If at all? Any thoughts on how we will pay for healthcare and education then, if at all?

cut the deadwood.educate in preventative medicine,cut off drug companies ,stop treating symptoms .chop off the union education cancer in provinces ,form national education strategy .reduce oil consumption.keep jobs and money in Canada .
were rich we just need to spend wisely
Peace be with you.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

An interesting part of it is that it would not involve movement of bitumen (dilbit), but rather normal crude oil or already upgraded at source (into synthetic oil) oil sands product. Going all the way to the east coast for export to Europe and Asia aside, there is a huge refinery capacity and market in the east of north america that could probably benefit immensly from using our own oil rather than imported oil.

Edit to add: As I understand it, there is already underutilized pipeline capacity all the way to the Ontario and Quebec refineries, and I rather doubt there would be much environmental objection to extending a line to Halifax provided bitumen / dilbit movement is not an issue.

Nab
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

kibbs wrote:cut the deadwood.educate in preventative medicine,cut off drug companies ,stop treating symptoms .chop off the union education cancer in provinces ,form national education strategy .reduce oil consumption.keep jobs and money in Canada .
were rich we just need to spend wisely

Great ideas. But, since none of that will happen, we need oil sales and oil production to pay for what we have. Somewhat sad, but oh so true.

Since Adrian Dix stupidly took a position on the BC pipeline well before any environmental impact studies were done, his supporters are now stuck trying to defend his actions and justify alternatives that make no economic sense. One thing about the NDP and its supporters, they sure stick solidly to their positions, even when they are complete failures as policy.

Maybe we can fly oil in spaceships to the moon, and refine it there to reduce greenhouse gas emmissions. I shouldn't say that too loudly...they might just run with it.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Going east is a win-win for Canada, and BC. More Canadian jobs.

Not shipping dilbit is the best part. That changes the risk/reward hugely in a positive direction. So does pipelines in flatlands - cheaper to build, easier to maintain, less risk of external damage from landslides/avalances etc.

It isn't nimbyism to look at the options and pick the one with the best risk/reward balance. One would like to find a responsible way to get the jobs in BC, but given the substantially higher risks, and costs, the equation dictates that going east is really the best way.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Rwede wrote:Since Adrian Dix stupidly took a position on the BC pipeline well before any environmental impact studies were done

The environmental impact studies are a waste of time. Thanks to the Omnibus Bill C-38 the NEB is now obsolete.
Cabinet can override and approve any projects. Cabinet has final word regardless of what NEB decides.
Harper wants that pipeline. The ads were non stop, ad nauseam.
NEB might as well pack up and go home.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

easier to go across the prairies than over the mountains

Return to “Canada”