Oyama Rd question

Nooby
Übergod

Oyama Rd question

Post by Nooby »

I'm curious about something (I have my reasons :wink: ).

How long is the drive from Oyama to Winfield going the 'back' way (east side of Wood Lake)? What's the road like? Traffic?

Thanks.
bailey1lam

Re: Oyama Rd question

Post by bailey1lam »

It is a nice country road, lots of hills and curves. Takes about 10- 15 minutes. Certainly not a road to drive fast on,I would stick to the HWY if you are in a hurry. Probably not great with the snow, but very scenic.
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

The posted speed is 50kph, most do substantially more. To some it's a race course.
Be wary of the curves as people seem to have a need to use the wrong side of the road
when rounding them, no matter how gentle.
Joggers, dog walkers,farm implements, children, all use the road as if they are the only ones on it.
In summer beware the Road bicyclists, they are obnoxious and scary!
If the main highway is closed for whatever reason this becomes a detour route, that means
increased commercial traffic.
Enjoy!!!
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Watch out for deer on Oyama Road as well.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Nice drive and a nice change of pace if you drive by the lake ever day. I think it would be a really nice area to live.
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

Thanks all.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Nooby, if you have a capable vehicle and a slightly adventurous side:

Head up Oyama Lake Road toward the Resort. I'm not sure how many Km's up...but it's well past the Oyama ZipLine business and well into the trees that you will start doing some switchbacks on the road...hairpin turns.

A few good turns up the hillside you'll come to one sharp turn to the right that is bordered by a rock ledge about 30M from the outside of the curve. You'll be able to see that is has a drop to it and the other side you will see as you appraoch it is the other side of a deep and steep ravine.

So...the sharp turn I speak of turns to the right as you are heading northbound up the hillside.
The outside of the turn has a few large boulders to keep vehicles from getting up on the ridgeline and too close to danger.
This turn is about ten or fifteen minutes up the hill at a moderate pace.

The ravine you'll be overlooking spills into the Okanagan Valley over the south end of Kalamalka Lake.
When you arrive, the road should be widened enough to park your car along the outside of the corner. If you can, it would be best to have your car turned around facing down the mountain as this is the proper way to face on the side you should be parking.
Keep your vehicle as far off the road as you can, and you should be leaving plenty of room for other traffic.
When you exit your car, you'll be walking north for a few meters to get to the edge of the ravine. It's a high drop, so keep well away from the edge and keep kids or pets on a rope. lol

Now you're gonna want to craefully walk your way to the left...west...toward the Okanagan Valley. It's a little bit of a downhill to get out to the point, so do be careful getting to your vantage point.
Once you're out there...hopefully with a camera in hand...you'll see why I encouraged you to make the trip up and out.
It's one of the places you need to see as a nooby...to get your appreciation going for where you live.

Locals know it as the Oyama Road Lookout.

Cheers...safe travels and welcome to Incrediville.
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

Thanks GA - that sounds pretty cool. We are actually moving to Penticton (me - tomorrow, spouse - who knows when ?) but I'll likely be travelling back and forth to the Shuswap a fair bit on weekends until our house sells. So I think I'll leave the sightseeing until we're settled and have more time to explore the whole area - I was mainly wondering about Oyama Rd in the event the highway is closed because of a MVA or something, or if I just wanted to take a bit of a detour to break the monotony of the same drive every weekend.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Graham, I've always known that spot as Cougar Canyon, don't remember where I
got that from.
Is this correct? or No?

There is also someones grave marker there..
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

Graham Adder wrote:Locals know it as the Oyama Road Lookout.
If you have kids or pets you had better have control over them at this spot, it is a long way down although the view is beautiful. Is there enough room to park this time of the year, haven't been up there in awhile. And it is more than just a side trip, it takes awhile.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

dirtybiker wrote:Graham, I've always known that spot as Cougar Canyon, don't remember where I
got that from.
Is this correct? or No?

There is also someones grave marker there..

Cougar canyon is the canyon on the east side of Kal...it stretches from the old mill at the east end of the causeway...to pretty much cousins bay...the most eastern beach of Kal Lake Park.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

metallica wrote:If you have kids or pets you had better have control over them at this spot, it is a long way down although the view is beautiful. Is there enough room to park this time of the year, haven't been up there in awhile. And it is more than just a side trip, it takes awhile.

I addressed the height...keep kids and pets on a rope.
Not sure about parking, but I've always found that corner to be plowed extra wide...enough so that I've never not been able to park safely there...winter or summer.
Define "awhile".
I generally get from Hwy97 to the lookout in under 15 minutes driving like a gummer.
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

Graham Adder wrote:Define "awhile".
10 plus years. Used to drive with the windows down so you could hear the logging trucks coming and find a spot to pull over or start backing up. The road must be much improved now.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Graham Adder wrote:I generally get from Hwy97 to the lookout in under 15 minutes driving like a gummer.

Under 15 minutes? :137:
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “Central Okanagan”