Any good movies out there?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Lore
Übergod

Re: Any good movies out there?

Post by Lore »

cabin in the woods was good.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There's been a few notable dark comedy type horror flicks over the last few years if that's your bag. "Zombieland" was entertaining, as was "Tucker and Dale vs. Evil".
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

-fluffy- wrote:There's been a few notable dark comedy type horror flicks over the last few years if that's your bag. "Zombieland" was entertaining, as was "Tucker and Dale vs. Evil".

Loved Tucker and Dale!
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

-fluffy- wrote:There's been a few notable dark comedy type horror flicks over the last few years if that's your bag. "Zombieland" was entertaining, as was "Tucker and Dale vs. Evil".

No, I mean a proper scary movie.

Skeleton Key was actually a pretty good movie.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Anything by Uwe Boll. I think it's pretty scary that he thinks he's a good director/producer!
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

One of the scariest and creepiest XFiles episodes is titled, "Tooms". I sat thru it one more time and it's still creep city even after all these years. It's actually the finale of the first one, titled "Thin man". Chris Carter knew what he was doing.

I'm also loving all the Vancouver scenery and have never forgiven David D. for insisting the series move to LA. Look what happened to his career after that.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
warden
Übergod

Post by warden »

Queen K wrote:One of the scariest and creepiest XFiles episodes is titled, "Tooms". I sat thru it one more time and it's still creep city even after all these years. It's actually the finale of the first one, titled "Thin man". Chris Carter knew what he was doing.

I'm also loving all the Vancouver scenery and have never forgiven David D. for insisting the series move to LA. Look what happened to his career after that.

The first one isn't called Thin Man, it's called 'Stretch'.

And it wasn't Duchovny's insistence that moved the show to LA. He complained about Vancouver on a talk show, but he didn't control the show. It was a production decision based on costs and what they wanted to do post season 5. Did it benefit Duchovny? Sure. But it wasn't his choice.
Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

warden wrote:And it wasn't Duchovny's insistence that moved the show to LA.

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/jan/09 ... nt/ca-6378

"The exploration into the possible move was largely sparked by series star David Duchovny, who has repeatedly said he would like the drama, which has been filming in Vancouver since its premiere in 1993, to relocate to Los Angeles so that he could be closer to his wife, actress Tea Leoni, whose "The Naked Truth" sitcom is produced in L.A."

I stopped being an X-Files addict after the show moved. It lost it's dark edge moving from Vancouver.
warden
Übergod

Post by warden »

It definitely wasn't the same show after the move to LA, but there were some high points. The increased presence of AD Skinner was definite plus for me. I found that from season 6 forward I was more interested in the mythology episodes than I had been in the first 5 seasons.

If you've got Netflix, it's worth a watch through the last four seasons for some of the quirk. Ok, mostly for season six and seven. The last half of season eight is worth it and a handful of eps from season 9 along with the finale to tie it all up.
Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Triple 6 wrote:The originals are amazing Steven. You don't even notice the subtitles after a bit.

steven lloyd wrote: We watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last Saturday and The Girl Who Played with Fire last night. Yes, very good. Looking forward to viewing The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest next weekend.

Seen them all now. Well worth watching all three.

On a side note we watched "Corniolanus" with Ralph Fiennes ("Red Dragon") and Gerard Butler ("300"). Also had Vanessa Redgrave. It was interesting, different. A story of Roman Generals and Senators but set in more modern times (tanks and assault rifles) along with strong Shakespearean dialogue. Some strong delivery in script (plus some war action). Not for everyone but a different taste of Shakespearean influence for those who might be interested in that for sure.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

"Life on Mars"...UK version or US ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

"hotel Transylvania" Kinda cute. We all liked it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Re-watched The Town yesterday, and I must say it's one of the best movies that came out lately. And I know what you'll say - It's got Ben Affleck in it (and he directed it to boot), but it's still very very strong movie and Ben did a great job with this one. It has a bit of cheesy ending, but it's really a proper guy movie. Assault rifles, people getting whacked, neighborhood gangs, bank heists, the whole nine yards.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Re-watched The Town yesterday, and I must say it's one of the best movies that came out lately. And I know what you'll say - It's got Ben Affleck in it (and he directed it to boot), but it's still very very strong movie and Ben did a great job with this one. It has a bit of cheesy ending, but it's really a proper guy movie. Assault rifles, people getting whacked, neighborhood gangs, bank heists, the whole nine yards.

The Town was a great movie with a great cast. Ben's come into his own. His acting is better and directing is fab. Argo is a great movie. With Ben starrng and directing.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Captain Awesome wrote:but it's really a proper guy movie.

:dyinglaughing:
This lady will call herself " proper guy " from now on.
I enjoyed the movie " The Inside man ". I don't know if it's a " proper guy " movie or not.
Sorry I couldn't help it.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”