Family Day B.C.

ticat900
Board Meister

Re: Family Day B.C.

Post by ticat900 »

jennylives wrote:It balances out over the year for federal employees as they get Boxing Day as a stat and the rest of us don't.

this should read as Fed employees get the day off and paid.I jennylives only get the day off(boohoo)
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I'm not complaining about it. I'm just stating a fact. Federal employees and others receive the same amount of stats over the course of the year. That's all.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

my place of work will be closed for the holiday. I'll have the day off without pay.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Tero wrote:I'll have the day off without pay.

Uhm...you should be getting stat pay.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Tero wrote:my place of work will be closed for the holiday. I'll have the day off without pay.

Why?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
sundancer1bc

Post by sundancer1bc »

Look up Statutory Holidays in British Columbia Factsheet from the Employment Standards Branch
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The link was posted earlier.

The ten statutory holidays in British Columbia are:

•New Years Day
•Family Day
•Good Friday
•Victoria Day
•Canada Day
•B.C. Day
•Labour Day
•Thanksgiving Day
•Remembrance Day
•Christmas Day
Easter Sunday, Easter Monday and Boxing Day are not statutory holidays. Follow this link for a list of B.C. statutory holiday dates for 2011-2014

Eligibility

To be eligible for statutory holiday pay an employee must:

•Have been employed for 30 calendar days before the statutory holiday and,
•Have worked or earned wages on 15 of the 30 days immediately before the statutory holiday.
Employees who work under an averaging agreement or variance at any time in the 30 days before the holiday do not have to meet the 15-day requirement.
No pay for ineligible employees

An employee who is not eligible for statutory holiday pay is not entitled to be paid an average day’s pay. If an ineligible employee works on a statutory holiday he or she may be paid as if it were a regular work day.

Exclusions

Specific regulations exclude certain groups such as managers, agriculture workers, some commission salespersons, and high technology professionals from the statutory holiday provisions of the Act. Please see the factsheets relating to these groups.

Statutory holiday on a day off

When an employee is given a day off on a statutory holiday, or it falls on a regular day off, an eligible employee is entitled to be paid an average day’s pay.

An average day’s pay is calculated by dividing “total wages” earned in the 30 calendar days before the statutory holiday by the number of days worked. Vacation days taken during this period count as days worked.

“Total wages” includes wages, commissions, statutory holiday pay and vacation pay but does not include overtime pay.

Working on a statutory holiday

An eligible employee who works on a statutory holiday is entitled to be paid:

•time-and-a-half for the first 12 hours worked and double-time for any work over 12 hours; plus
•an average day’s pay.
Substituting statutory holidays

An employer and a majority of employees can agree to substitute another day off for a statutory holiday. The Act and Regulation apply to the substitute day as if it were the statutory holiday.
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

Tero wrote:I'll have the day off without pay.

Captain Awesome wrote:Uhm...you should be getting stat pay.

I work for the school district as support staff. My contract is year to year with no benefits so I never get stat pay. Thats my understanding
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

I'm looking forward to the day off.........but have to question the timing of it......why was it not the 3rd Monday like all the other provinces that observe it.......as well that is an American holiday......not that that really matters but would be nice if even BC and Alberta were the same.........
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Bubalouie wrote:I'm looking forward to the day off.........but have to question the timing of it......why was it not the 3rd Monday like all the other provinces that observe it.......as well that is an American holiday......not that that really matters but would be nice if even BC and Alberta were the same.........

Because the ski hills are such a big tourist attraction in the winter ( Big White, Silver Star,Whistler /Blackcomb, etc ..) seems to me I remember hearing in the news last year that they didn't want all the skiers ( a lot of them comes from Ontario, Alberta and the U.S. ) to be on the hills at the same time.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Seriously ??? OMG..........I personally would like it to be the same, then the kids could come home or we could go there, with it being different weekends, it doesn't work with only 2 days .........but ......that is the way the cookie crumbles...will still enjoy the extra day.......and not such a long break between holidays.....
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I'll be spending it with 24 family members.
Your bias suits you.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Personally I preferred when my company allowed those of us in BC to select one additional paid holiday at any time in the year to compensate for the fact that we did not have a Family Day.

Not really a fan of having a random day off in February when I used to take it off in the summer instead. My family is also thousands of kilometres away so it never meant much to me unfortunately.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

StraitTalk wrote:My workplace recognizes it because they recognize law. :dyinglaughing:

So does my work place. I work that day, so it works for me to make extra cash.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

You're lucky you have that option - a lot of people will get a day off later if they have to work Monday.

Return to “B.C.”